main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A new banner?

Discussion in 'Archive: Midlands and Wales' started by HunkyEvil, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HunkyEvil

HunkyEvil Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2006
    At the last meet it was discussed that we should have a banner with our new name on it and at the minute, this is it. I hope I didn't miss anyone too important and you won't be shouting at me for it! If you had one in the works by all means post it. All the submissions the better but do let me know because we'd like to get it up asap

[image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/skincarver13/midlandstest01.jpg]

Feedback, as always, greatly welcomed :)

2. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    awesome!

great work again dude :D

3. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Looks amazing Chris, well done =D= :D

4. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Very nice Chris[face_batting]

5. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Not looking too shabby at all, there Chris!

6. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Looking sweet! Great work, Chris.

The comic book theme down the side is bril!!! My 3 favouites and the 3 most popular, nice touch. ;)

The only way I would change anything is to maybe make it a little more star warsy as we are more star wars than anything else, I know the clonetrooper is on there but maybe someone more iconic like Vader or Luke would be better. Just my thoughts, either way it is one of hell of a sweet banner! :)

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Cool :cool:

I agree also that maybe it should be a little bit more Star wars, or just a SW image/character that is larger and stands out more, to indicate SW is the big part, even though you cover other areas

Other then that it is great. I like the colour

8. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Richie, where do you get your information that we are primarily a SW group? You aren't part of the group, haven't been there at the meetings where we've discussed multi-genre fandom etc.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm simply agreeing with that

I meant it in terms of this being primarily a Star wars site. It's fine for you to expand into other things. But people who come to this site are most likely to be Star Wars fans, and maybe put off by an area they could view as a minor Star wars area.

First impressions are important.

Obviously your banner doesn't have to be totally star wars related like many other chapters have. All I'm suggesting is that a slight emphasis on Star Wars with the FFUK & tfn based part of SFFG might suit you better, but do as you wish.

The banner looks good as it is

10. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I like the new banner, too, although I do have to agree with Richie on the more Star Wars-needed theme. Having a multi-genre banner is all well and good for the SFFG website, but while you are the FFUK: Midlands and part of theforce.net, you are primarily Star Wars, and therefore your banner should reflect as such. If you want to be a "Multi-genre fandom" as Phill put it, then perhaps your SFFG should be separate from TF.N, because TF.N is a Star Wars site, and a Multi-Genre fandom website is going to be viewed as something entirely separate. If you're going to remain part of FanForce, which is a Star Wars fan group, better start putting some emphasis on Star Wars, eh? Have whatever banner you want for the SFFG website, because that's entirely your domain, but while you're on the TF.N's Jedi Council Forums, a Star Wars themed banner is not only expected, but pretty much necessary.

11. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    SFFG = Midlands Fanforce

They're the same group, not two separate entities. Even the Jedi Council Forum's as you nicely emphasised, have recognised a need to expand beyond Star Wars, hence the new Sci-Fi/Fantasy forums on these very boards.

We, as a group, thought that being multi-genre would be fun. As such, Chris was asked to do a multi-genre themed banner, which even Tim agrees is excellent (see his post above).

12. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Phill and I have discussed this quite a lot, chapters take the direction their members want, and looking towards the future is something the FF-UK: Midlands is placing great emphasis upon in terms of expanding (like tfn is) towards other fandoms, I support them wholly in this.

Not everyone on our boards are EU fans, so currently they have 1-3 years wait for any new material from GL (ie tv series). In the meantime, there are plenty of new things non-SW to be into, so their banner reflects that. In fact both banners reflect that (check the current one).

It was Jon who first pointed the Star Wars bit though Phill, Richie and Spike just reiterated it. But the main point is that this is the direction FF-UK: Midlands is looking towards, decided upon by their members. It's down to each individual chapter. And I don't believe there is a policy on banner content, but each banner reflects something of each chapter.

13. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    lol!

what the hell has it got to do with anyone what we have on our banner? if we like it then so what?

chris as cr has put together a fantastic banner, and folks from outside of our chapter come in and pass comment! jon can comment if he wants, but as tim pointed out to me, people really should stick to their own chapter business and not poke their noses into other chapter's business ;) . jon is a midlander and his views will no doubt be taken on board.

as for star wars content because it's a star wars site, anyone fancy clicking the philadelphia link in our header and looking at their banner? hmmm?

14. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I was going to mention Philly then forgot lol ;)

15. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    well i have neva seen the forums as just star wars anyway! yes they have star wars banners etc but alot of the content isnt reli related too much...

and the banner is sweet. but i do agree a lil with Jon more star wars :)

16. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    I wasn't complaining about the banner! I just felt someone more Star Wars iconic would be better on there. Like Luke on the current banner, but either way its an awesome banner and I'm not really fused. I like it either way, the clonetrooper is nice touch. :)

17. HunkyEvil

HunkyEvil Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Whilst I strongly disagree that this banner, for the Sci Fi and Fantasy Guild, should be completly Star Wars, I agree with the views shared that Star Wars is not represented well enough. Not because we only have 1 image and not because it is a lower character i.e not Vader or Luke, but because when the banner is uploaded the majority of visitors will not be able to see the Clone Trooper due to their screen resolution. So on this basis, I may move the images around.

Although, you haven't seen the advertisement icons either. What if I do one of them Star Wars? Or both?! That will mean Star Wars gets more than 1 image.. is that allowed or is that going OTT Star Wars? :p
    Hehe.. Does everything have to become an argument these days? Majority digs the banner. We'll probably stick with it.

But really, this is a Star Wars board, I think people are going to realise we like Star Wars. "Hmmm... All these people's avatars and display pics are Star Wars, and what's this guys name? JonJedi? He probably doesn't like Star Wars. RebelJediKnight88? I doubt he does either! Naaaah.. TheForce.Net isn't Star Warsy enough for me!"

Thanks to everyone who appreciated the banner though :) I'm pleased we like it. I might touch it up in places and if it makes life easier, maybe shift things around

18. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I'm going to put this in plain English:

The banner is ******* sweet. Leave it as it is; it's shabba! =D=

Love how you had Christopher Reeve in there - nice touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.