main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A New Feature-Length Fan Film?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by VinDyr01, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinDyr01

VinDyr01 Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    Just thought I'd pass on this gem of information...

Apparently, an amateur film director in Honolulu, Hawaii is trying to put together a fan film that is FEATURE LENGTH! That's right, two hours plus of Star Wars fan film action!

I don't know about you, but this project has both the potential to be very entertaining, but something doesn't fit. This will be the director's first film, which brings to mind the question: IS IT POSSIBLE? Can a first-time director really put together a two-hour plus star wars fan film? Why does this bold idea sound too good to be true?

I must confess, the idea is unheard of, but a source close to the production was quoted as saying:

"Well, he won't know he can't succeed in putting it together if he doesn't try. It will take a lot of work and a dedicated cast and crew, but it isn't impossible."

No word yet on who this new fan film will be called, but reliable information clues me in that it will transpire between Episodes I and II.

Stay tuned for this threat for more info, as it develops.

Peace,
    VinDyr01

2. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Em... you know, I would say that it certainly IS possible. I am hoping however that he is not trying to be a Speilberg his first time out.

If he's trying to do something that's supposed to rival the Star Wars films themselves in quality, his piece de resistance so to speak, then I would suggest that he wait until he has a few short projects under his belt.

That way he'll have more experience and his film will be that much cooler. :D

But what am I saying? I'm not waiting, hehe. I can't WAIT to see how this will turn out. It will be cool whenever he does it. ;)

Chris

3. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Where did you hear this?

Cya
    Mike

4. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    I am hoping however that he is not trying to be a Speilberg his first time out.

Grrr! I hate comments like that. There are so many things to consider, so many unanswered questions, you just never know if it'll be good or not until it happens.
    (Janz I understand where you're coming from... no hard feelings)

The film Lots and I are doing is looking to be around an hour + in length. I'm the director... though it might be this guy's first time doing a project of this magnitude, that doesn't mean he'll suck at it.

Rah! (I think I'll just go back into my corner now.)

[face_plain]

~DK~

5. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Orson Wells did pretty well directing his first film :)

A two hour fanfilm is definately possible though, no question about it.

6. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm workin on my first fanfilm, and me and the other writer/director (his first one too) are shootin for 30-90 mins

7. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Any one can make a 2 hour fan film- but not everyone can make a 2 hour fanfilm that is enjoyable to watch. I mean, if you have 2 hours of bad acting and tepid special effects and not much story happening, then it'll be 2 hours I wish I was doing something else. I wish them well, and I'd love to see something of that length from the fan film community, but a 2 hour story better be interesting.

8. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    Mine will be around 45 minutes, Dezion. ;) And I know I'm not Speilberging. Got some great people. I hope he does, too.

Chris

9. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    good ppl? awe crap, my ppl are all sloppy friends o' mine (their alot like me) im gonna hafta bust out the whip and whip 'em into acting good

10. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    Most of mine are sloppy too. :D You should see their dorm rooms.

11. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Grrr! I hate comments like that. There are so many things to consider, so many unanswered questions, you just never know if it'll be good or not until it happens.

As Han Solo would say.. "Well, that's the real trick isn't it?"

I'm on this board almost everyday, and not to much times goes by that I don't hear someone else talking about churning out 2hrs of Star Wars movie. Bah Humbug! As you can see, there are no internet sights crammed full of two hour star wars films. Nor are there two hour any films. I would love to make a 2 hour Star Wars movie too, but lets face it. It aint happening. I'm busting my ass trying to make 20 minutes look good.

Like was referenced in above... I can sit in front of a camera and read you two hours of fan fiction. Does this a two hour fanfilm make? Maybe I'll even throw a special effect or two in there. I'm sure no body is going to watch it though.

If you have the resources to make a two hour movie, you wouldn't be wasting your time on fan films.

Ahhhh, I've been meaning to do that for weeks.

12. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    I guess my question is ... if you're going to go through all that expense, investment in a year of your life, and effort ... why wouldn't you make an ORIGINAL feature.

I mean, fan films as shorts are great. But as for me, if I'm going to go through all that for a feature length film, it's going to be something I wrote and conceived of that's original so I can also exploit it.

IMHO, that is.

13. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Mine, too. Opinion, that is. Heck, six minutes in George's universe was all I could muster. Well, seven... if you include Duel. :)

14. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm working on a 90-minuter myself.

Can't say I'm not daunted by it all. Best of luck to this guy in Hawaii.

M. Scott

15. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Gah!!

I hardly have time to download a ten minute fan film!!!

16. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm having serious deja vu right now.

Typing this post is part of it.

Saying that is part of it.

I could keep going...

Okay, now I'm out of it.

FYI, randomguy...

M. Scott

17. VinDyr01

VinDyr01 Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    Some more gems of info, and a few clarifications...

For the record, I am a Hawaii resident, to eliminate any confusion, but I am not involved with the project myself. I just have over-sized ears and very sensitive hearing...

A secret agent you can call me. ::Cue 007 theme music:: lol.

First, a glaring clarification omitted from my first post... While I am not debunking the claim that the eventual film will no doubt be of a length sufficient to that of a feature film, I find it highly unlikely that it will be 120 or even 90 minutes long. Realistically, it all depends on how much time it takes to tell the story. To give readers a probable length for the movie, I said two hours. In the end, though, I believe the final cut will be shorter.

Second, I would like to comment on an opinion said earlier. While I don't disagree that if this guy has any talent behind the camera, then he should be making feature films of his own with an original story.
    But, consider my opinion: Maybe this is all the guy wants to do right now. You can't fault him for that, can you? Besides, of all the times people think of doing fan films, how many actually get made? I praise him for taking initiative, if for nothing else...

Third, is there nothing some people can say on these boards besides COMPLAINTS??? I know this is a free country, and maybe I should take my opinions elsewhere or just keep my fingers off the keyboard. But geez, save your bad thoughts for someplace else besides here, will ya?

Find it easy to criticize, you do...

And finally, I have gotten a small bit of word on this production: the movie's backstory will have something to do with the story of legendary jedi master Arca Jeth.

Curious, this is...

Keep up the good reporting, I will. Tuned, please stay.

Peace,
    VinDyr01

18. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    That's right, two hours plus of Star Wars fan film action!

then

To give readers a probable length for the movie, I said two hours. In the end, though, I believe the final cut will be shorter.

next:

The director is now thinking the final cut will be around 10 minutes, and will consist of a lightsaber battle between a Sith and a Jedi in a palm tree forest.

19. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    I sense much sarcasm, young one. ;)

I doubt anyone here was deconstructively criticizing this effort. You posted and we're offering our concerns for the project. From a certain point of view I suppose they could be taken as complaints. I can't speak for everyone here, but my comments were offered as constructive criticism. Which is a good thing! :)

Chris

20. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Well... I was able to make a 97 minute fanfilm, so it's not impossible... And people seemed to enjoy it for the most part.

My current one is estimated to run about 2 hours, maybe more when it's all done. My first 80 page script turned out to be 97 minutes. The script for this new one is 98 pages (not to mention the additional scenes we wrote in aside from the script). We decided to do away with the opening crawl (There isn't one person here who hasn't fowarded through those opening crawls before and just wanted to get right into it...am I right?) and instead of saying what's been going on... SHOW what has been going on, or continuing to happen... (GETTING OFF THE SUBJECT, SORRY).

It isn't impossible to make a 2 hour movie, just very VERY difficult and time consuming (4 years for me since it's not my full-time job!). I doubt we'll hear a lot about this movie for a couple years unless they really get a good block of time to shoot this massive project.

21. MasterJediJuan

MasterJediJuan Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    I am also working on a feature length Star Wars fan-film. I am working on the rough draft and I shown it to all of my friends and Star Wars fans and they all agree that it stays ture to the Star Wars Universe. I thought I would be the first one to announce that I was doing a feature Fan-film for Star Wars. But in my defence I haven't been on for a long while now. The movie just goes into my world of Star Wars. It takes place right after the battle of Endor. Two Jedi that were "preserved" by Yoda who after sooo many years in hiding on the planet of Durren finally comes out only to intercept a message from Naboo who is now facing (yet again) an invasion, but this time by the Galactic Empire. Tel me what you think.

22. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    that's very interesting! look foward to seeing that one! good luck on your progression of this fanfilm.

23. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    To shoot a feature length fan-film is very ambitious. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing it, but why feature-length? If you have the resources, why not just make your own feature length movie based on an original story. Then you can take that to festivals, get a distributor, sell it to a studio and network TV and make LOADS of money. Just my opinion. I would rather do something that is my own material, if I were doing feature length.

Then again, the idea is intriguing.

Decisions, decisions....

24. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Ryan, though you're has a fan film feel to it, you at least created an original idea which isn't so much about Star Wars, as it is about Star Wars collecting. I consider your film more original, than fan film.

25. VinDyr01

VinDyr01 Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    Greetings, I say...

I bring more discreet news from the 50th state. Listen to this...

In a recent phone conversation between the director and someone close to the production, the director has scheduled a major production meeting for the film sometime this week.

Speculation for possible topics: Finalized cast list, followed by discussion on costumes and props.

According to early reports, the cast list for this film will be between 15 and 20 actors, with numerous others filling cameo and extra roles.

Also, possible locations for filming include Ku'uloa Ranch (where exterior shots from both Jurassic Park and Godzilla were filmed), and on the campus of the University of Hawaii at Leeward (formerly known as Leeward Community College.)

I would like to thank the forum for their patience thus far. Please stay tuned to this thread regarding more information.

Peace,
    VinDyr01

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.