main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A-Rod Tested Positive for Steroids

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm not arguing the health consequences. That has nothing to do with my argument. My argument is that if the pitcher and batter are both using the same stuff, no one has the advantage.

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    The problem is when one is using and another isn't. Cheating is still cheating.

3. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Yeah I know, the point I'm making is that the most likely scenario is that well over 80% of all players have used steroids or HGH. So as far as I'm concerned, it's a level playing field.

Should we ban every pitcher who threw spitballs from the hall of fame?

4. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    the point is, there cheaters and should be banned for life from the game. I have no interest in Baseball now, who knows who using.

5. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    There's cheaters from every era in the hall of fame. The only difference is that these ones are getting caught.

IMO it's not even cheating if it doesn't give you an advantage. And IMO, enough people used this stuff to where it didn't give anyone an advantage.

6. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    It's still not fair to the people, however few they may be, who stood by their principles and didn't do it and ended up getting out performed and out paid by those who did.

7. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Must go to Mariners game to yell A-Roid for a couple of games.

8. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    While I can't say this was a complete shock, A-Rod didn't seem to be the type of player that used PEDs. The thing is, steroids have been a part of sports culture (especially baseball) for approximately 30 years. Lots of players in the 80s doped up, but nobody brings them up, it's the ones of the 90s and today that get all the attention. And the MLB administration is even worse than the players, they seem to care more about selling their product than integrity of the sport. Hell, the NBA had a really bad reputation a few years ago, they seem to have cleaned up a bit lately. Baseball has only gotten worse IMHO. A-Rod did the right thing by admitting that he was guilty and apologizing, I'll give him props for that, especially since many of his peers didn't say a peep or flat-out lied. However, even in admitting his guilt, A-Rod should be made an example of. That doesn't necessarily mean a suspension or losing Hall of Fame eligibility (though voters will probably think twice when the time comes) but maybe a large fine (at least $1 million) and some community service, such as going to high schools and advocating integrity of sports.

9. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003

You are basing your argument on an assumption. We don't know how many players used...

But lets say your 80% number is accurate. 20% of the players that were clean did it the right way, and probably did not put up the numbers the roid and HGH players did. This hurt the clean players in two ways:

1. On the playing feild, where cheaters had an advantage.

and

2. Off the feild. The players who roided up most likely put up bigger numbers and made more money and stayed in the game longer, pushing clean, average players out of the game. So it effected clean players earning potential.

I for one, do not want to get used to cheating. Why should I, or anyone else?

Also...It is ILLEGAL!!!

Your Spitball analogy does not hold up, because even though it was cheating, Spit is not an illegal substance that helps you recover from injury faster, make someone bigger or stronger, and I would argue not as effective as roids or HGH.

Also, a spitballer could not just rely on a spitball, and thats it. The roids are with a player, every pitch, every at bat, every catch, every off day in the weight room, every beat out single etc...

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Oh, I agree on that '94 point & Selig as commish (though, he has done some good).

11. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Doesn't matter. Cheating is cheating.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The main issue for me in this whole thing is what kind of message does this send to kids who want to be professional baseball players or just athletes in general? That they can work as hard as they want but in the end they're gonna have to take drugs to make it to the big leagues? I don't think many people want to do it that way.

13. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Oh see, that's the thing. I don't like kids. Give them drugs for all I care. :p

14. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Forgive my ignorance, but do we know who leaked this news in the first place? And does anyone think the other 103 names from these "anonymous" drug tests are just as likely to be released?

Obviously the Commissioner's hands are tied and the Union isn't going to allow any of the names to be released, but what's stopping the source who leaked A-Rod's name from doing the same thing to every other player who tested positive in 2003?

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Did you hear what A-Rod said today in an interview?

"I laid my bed and I'll have to sit on it."

[face_laugh]

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I actually listened to a bit of that news conference... nothing particularly earth shattering.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    He wasn't too smooth, considering everything.

18. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Yep, A-Fraud comes off as really dumb in his interviews.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    He did overdo the "I was young and naive and young and naive and stupid and young" part a bit, but otherwise, I thought he didn't come off too badly. Compared to the other (former) players who have had to deal with this... he looks much better.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    He was 28. That's not naive territory, especially for a pro athlete.

21. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    who cares if he roided? It wasn't against the rules when he failed the test anyway... He didn't do anything against the rules, so there's nothing wrong with it. :)

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    against the law, but not against the rules [face_mischief]

23. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    if a player gets a DUI, should we ban them from the hall of fame?

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Hey, if I was a HoF voter, I would definitely consider putting A-Rod in, particularly if he keeps performing at the level he's been at. I'd also put Clemens in, despite the extremely strong likelihood that he also used steroids/HGH, and probably more than A-Rod did. So I'm not really the one you should be asking that of :p

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Pete Rose should be banned, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.