main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A worldwide community

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by darkest_jedi54, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkest_jedi54

darkest_jedi54 Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2004
    I am in the Military and was looking around and didnt see a solely military based FF community. Well now I would like to start up such a community to bring together all the Star Wars fans in our great military together to share idea and talk to one another about what they think about Star Wars and all the latest news that is going around the topic.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    That's actually a pretty interesting idea. Only issue I see is that FanForce is based on meeting in person and the idea of this would make that pretty much impossible. Though, that being said I'll see what the OFH has to say about this (and direct them to your thread here).

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm not sure this would work. Like Dajuan said FanForce is an in person thing. Though it would be cool to see a particular base start one up. The only major road block I could see would be the Chapter not being accessible to everyone. I have never been in the military and I am not familiar with the rules of military bases...would civilians be able to participate? I think your best bet would be to pick a city you are stationed near and go from there.

4. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I agree to Dajuan. But what about the idea to open a military-thread in FFC?

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    A thread might be more appropriate.

6. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    I agree with a military thread. With that we in the military might find we are on the same bases or maybe going to the same deployment at some point.

7. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    San Diego has a Fan Force for those based down there, check the Pacific Region.

8. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Perhaps an even better idea would be to start a FanForce forum (not an official chapter, as they couldn't meet in real life) for "displaced persons"; that is, people who are living away from their normal home for an extended period of time (be it a working holiday, or the military, or study).

While this wouldn't be a chapter in the truest sense, I still think it could have a place within FanForce. FanForce is about bringing people together, right? Well, even though these people have little hope of meeting in real life, they still have much in common and could help each other adapt to their circumstances more easily. A friend on the net when you know no-one in real life is great; a group of friends who know exactly how you feel is something else altogether.

It might not take off. It might just lie dormant. There might be little demand for one, as so far there has only been one person who has expressed mild interest in something vaguely familiar. But FanForce creates new boards all the time, and if it is an issue of practicality rather than one of policy or argument then I think it'd be best to just give it a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We could call it the "Jedi Outcasts" board? or is that too much?

Of course, the board should never try to replace the people who are displaced (I'm trying to avoid the term "displaced peoples" as that implies that they're all refugees!) going out and joining the FanForce of the place that they are now in; however, it might just provide a little bit of help, and maybe a little bit of fun.

The other advantage of this over the initial suggestion is that having a military chapter, to me at least, implies that it is for US Army only, something which I would be extremely unhappy with, whereas this caters to all nationalities and situations.

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I don't think this would be a good idea, because then you have to open more boards for other groups of people (may they share the same job, hobby or whatever). We share already one common interest. Another question is, if there will be so many army based topics that really needs an own board and can't be discussed with the other FFers? I still think a thread at FFC would be appropriated (at least at first).

10. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    But we have forums for most locations. This is just another "location", albeit more conceptual. Note that I also am arguing against an army-only forum.

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Don't get me wrong. I like your idea, but I think it wouldn't be fair to all other conceptual groups unless they get their own boards as well. If there's an army-board, then you have to allow more people, who have something like a job (like being in the army) in common, their own boards.
    And if it is not army-only (army-only, not US-army-only) then it is open to all people from all over the world with all possible topics and such a board we have already: FFC.

12. darkest_jedi54

Sep 17, 2004
    Im likeing the suggestions, but this wont be just an Army only thing. Many bases are shared by all the branches of the military. Maybe if I share what brought this on you all will understand a little better. I am stationed in the Mannheim area of Germany. Now the main problem of this is that I found that most Germans I run into here dont speak a lick of English, and I dont speak a lick of German. I would like to say that I am learning but my stay here wont be long enough to be usefull to me. Well I will be willing to try and start a community in my area while I am here and starting a community online would be usefull. Its really just a sugestion. I see it basicly like it is in the states. Each state has multipule communites set up. Well view Germany as a state. Im just starting up a community in my area. And if civilians are willing to join us well they can because if they heard about it, then they must have some English speaking skills. Plus in our area, locals are allowed to come on base, granted its a bit tougher to get on post than it is for us, or we could have meeting off post. I have really thought about this alot and have a solution for almost every problem that may arise (those military skills are paying off finally).

13. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    I would like to invite you to the GSFF, the German Speaking Fan Force, darkest_jedi54. Maybe some of us are near enough for a little meeting. And I can guarantee you that we speak English quite well. You can ask the JC-Manager strilo.

14. darkest_jedi54

Sep 17, 2004
    Well I live in the Mannheim area now, but I'm moving to Kaiserslauten in a few weeks so....

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Kaiserslautern? There are some GSFFer who live nearby Frankfurt. Maybe you just should come and visit us at the GSFF (linked above). :)

16. lelo21

lelo21 Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2006
  17. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    lelo21 - Fan Force is the real life side of the community on these forums. People organising meets out in the real world, social and convention going, etc. It's a great side to theForce.net, and one everyone is welcome to be a part of :D Just look for your country in the link here - http://boards.theforce.net/ (I am guessing you'll be in Fan Force Europe), and see what activites are going on in your local area ;) And have fun :)

18. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Well said darkest_jedi54

19. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Greetings from Fort Benning GA area.. If you could help us get the word out to the soldiers there that there is a club in Columbus GA, that would be great.

We're in a name change right now, so it might be under The Fountain City Force.Net or The Outer Rim (our new name).

Or they can email me at dandylions72bhs@hotmail.com

Cathy Bowden, CR
    Columbus GA & Phenix City AL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.