main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    krtmd I finally get your username!

CooperTFN and krtmd like this.
  2. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    'tis true it's quite uninspired

But someone once thought it stood for "karate doctor", which I find very amusing.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am calling you karate doctor from now on.

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    King Robert, That Mad Dude?

5. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ugh I hate those books so much

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, my first GMing session went well enough, all things considered.

jSarek likes this.
  7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Being purposely vague, I see [face_not_talking]

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It stands for "Kriff Ranulph Tarkin, My Dad"

krtmd likes this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So, everyone into Doctor Who has seen this by now, yeah? IF NOT WATCH IT WATCH IT WATCH IT!

Trip

The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Apologies. Jello has seen my true name on the book of face.

My username is my initials "krt" + "md" for Maryland, where I've lived for the last 17 years. It's totally lame and uninspired, and happened quite by accident, but it stuck...

instantdeath likes this.
  11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    wtf eight?? did we know this was going to happen?

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It was rumoured, but we didn't know, no.

It's especially awesome because he directly references his Big Finish audio companions (Charley, Lucie, etc).

13. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    well I watched it. I thought it was lame which I'm sure is a shock. :p that's cool about the Big Finish references though.

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

(It's okay, I didn't really think it'd be your cup of tea... I just know that you have a vague interest in Eight stuff)

15. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    well... I liked his costume and stuff!

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, hey, here's a spoilery clip from the 50th anniversary special for you hate, too! (Tennant is in it)

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Uli, I need you help my friend. I only got involved in the Matt Smith series, so I am not well versed in Whovian lore. From what I gather from this short and the trailer, the Time Lords and the Daleks waged a pretty severe war against each other. Give me some back ground!

I humbly ask my British friends & comrades-in-arms to help their American cousin out with Whovian history! [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

18. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    My roommates have said that we can't watch it until we watch the 1996 TV movie.

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's little known info Nick, the Time War was a massive conflict that Russell T Davies created as the backstory for the new Who. Snippets of what went on have been mentioned but there is no complete account as yet, nor is there likely to be I think. The war was waged across all of time and space and likely nearly ended reality.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Ulicus it got taken down ):

AdmiralNick22 tbh I'd recommend watching seasons 1-4 (the Russell T Davies run) without knowing anything about the Time War since it's more fun building a picture of it as the series goes along and information gets revealed... it's pretty heavily referenced throughout that whole era, the first season and the final special ("The End of Time") in particular. (Also it looks like the upcoming special thing will pretty much totally contradict everything we knew about it previously, so.)

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I believe this is it.

Ulicus likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    AdmiralNick22

While I disagree with Trip's cynical assertion that Moffat's going to contradict a bunch of stuff regarding the Time War... yes, I think watching the upcoming anniversary episode before you've seen seasons 1-4 (and specials) of the show would be a bad move.

Though, I don't know, part of me wants to use you as a guinea pig. There aren't a great many Doctor Who fans who are going to be INTRODUCED to the Tenth Doctor and the Time War mythos by the 50th... so... hm.

Trip

I should point out, though, that I'm really still not a fan of this whole "War Doctor" thing. It feels very much like Moffat has squeezed in a surprise Doctor-not-called-the-Doctor for the sake of a surprise Doctor-not-called-the-Doctor, and untilunless the special convinces me otherwise by being AMAZING, I'm going to remain very irritated that the war was "stolen" from Eight.

It's also starting to look like Moffat's about to re-retcon the "Morbius Doctors" (introduced before the 12 regeneration limit was brought up) back into pre-Hartnell incarnations of the Doctor. Even though Hartnell will remain the first guy to be called "the Doctor".

Oh, and in SW news, my brother and I went along to the Manchester Star Wars audition, yesterday.

I would only possibly fit the physical description for "Thomas" if you squinted (I figured I could just about play early twenties, but certainly not late teens) and thus, unsurprisingly, did not get past the initial hurdle.

My brother (who is, Uli says jealously, disgustingly beautiful), however, DID get through to the brief interview stage*, afterwards. While we're both sure it won't go TOO far, we're pretty excited to see if he gets a callback... just to see how far he can take it. :D

* This basically just involved them asking some simple questions, like, "What's a place that inspires you?" or "Who's your favourite comedian?", "Why did you want to audition?", etc.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Why not? [​IMG]

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Max Rebo is the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.