main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advertising

Discussion in 'Archive: Lincoln, NE' started by Jedi_Liz, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    We REALLY need to get down and think of ways to advertise. If you don't advertise, they won't come. And if they don't come, then what is the point in having a FanForce?

We really need to make this the top priority at the next meeting. And I mean NOW.

I'd prefer not to advertise my email address anywhere. (which is what most city reps do on the fanforce pages)

2. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    What about making up a general Email account, like LincolnStarWars@hotmail.com or something... then have it autoforward to someone that can respond.

Other suggestions: flyers at comic book stores, book clubs sponsored by Borders/B&N, etc.

~H~

3. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    If I'm correct we all already have an email address that is something like Lincolnff@fanforce.net. We just need to get that out to people.

We also talked about advertising a lot at the last meeting, Liz, but I don't know if anyone has Pm'ed you the details yet. If they haven't, just tell me and I can write them up. :)

4. Arwen_Evenstar

Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    oops [face_blush] I think I was supposed to do that. I'll get on it ASAP, but this is my last week of school so I'm a bit busy.

5. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Ash, you promised to post the stuff regarding advertising that you came up with. Its been 2 months.......so can you do this soon please?

My ideas:

-Student Union Bulletin Board

-Library (we'd have to have permission)

-Maybe an advertisement at Hobby Town or Cosmic Comics

We need to get this done if we want to be able to do what other fanforces do.

6. Rogue_Squad_Leader-

Rogue_Squad_Leader- Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    I'm the one from Grand Island but why don't you guys put some fliers in Comic World on 56th and O, I believe. Or else Trade and Tape comics on 9th. Just my two cents.

7. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Those are good ideas, but we don't even have a flier made up.

8. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Actually one of the best way of advertising I found is just having group meetings but bring your neatest toys. Like carry around your Vader or Luke FX lightsabers... Then people will come up and ask questions and then you can tell them about your club, etc... Another key thing is to have events and see if you can talk to other clubs like the 501st and Rebel Legion in your area. I'm sure they'd like to help you guys do costuming and stuff and then you can particpate in more events all decked out. ;)

9. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    This topic is still very important and I don't want it to get autolocked for not being posted in for 3 months.

Am I the only one that still wants to get word out? :(

10. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    Ashley put some flyers up around campus. It's better than nothing at the moment, I guess. :)

11. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    How about putting a flyer up (and I'd like to see what the flyer looks like before its put up to make sure the information is complete) on the bulletin board in the student union? Its right by the entrance and would be seen by many people.

12. Arwen_Evenstar

Nov 6, 2000
  13. Rogue_Squad_Leader-

Aug 9, 2001
    thanks for sharing

14. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    Ok, thanks for that lovely spam. Now, could you tell me why you had to post it in a thread about Advertising in the Lincoln FF board?! Really, I could care less about your political feelings. [face_plain]

15. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Agreed. Away with your crazy political crap.

In terms of advertising though, if anything gets set up, I'm more than willing to make some posters to advertise it on the campus.

16. Rogue_Squad_Leader-

Aug 9, 2001
    Sorry guys, I was on a PC in our schools library and I needed to throw that information on the net some where so that I could access it in a different room on mac. Nothing personal, hope you guys understand.

17. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    Did you think about PMing it to yourself?

18. Arwen_Evenstar

Nov 6, 2000
    What OWA said (yet again)

Or the Cantina - there'd be no problem with a political discussion there (as long as you keep it nice).

back on topic...
    rogue_09, that would be fantastic if you would do a poster for us. I don't when we'll get another meeting set up... as you have probably noticed there's just a bit of *gasp* drama going on.

Do you think it would be a good idea to just advertise the forum and see if more people sign on? That might make it easier to set up a meeting, if we knew there was more interest and all :)

19. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    advertising the forum is a good idea. How to go about doing that is now what we must decide. :p

Maybe a small advertisement pinned to the bulletin board in the student union? Something small and simple, just saying "Join the Lincoln FanForce" and put the address of the message board. At least we could try.

20. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    If I may add something? Have you tried printing up your own business cards to hand out to people you meet who sound interested in SW? You can get really nice punch out business cards pretty cheap. Might help and be really cheap. You could even stick them on cars in parking lots or on tables in the University.

Just a thought. I've been considering doing for my FF for some time. I always seem to meet people who I want to tell about it, but it's so hard to remember the whole web address ya know?

21. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    business cards sound good - but I think there are some rules about soliciting and putting stuff on cars......a business card would just fall down into the inside of the card unless held in place by the windshield wiper and I don't know how many people would appreciate getting that sort of stuff on their windshield.........

The flyer that was on campus........do you remember what you put on it? Just the name of the fanforce? and "Go to theforce.net" for more details? or was there a little more?

A good place to advertise might be the public library downtown - just talk to the head librarian or something - maybe they'd let a flyer be put up. That would attract a lot of interest I'd bet.

More ideas for advertising anyone?

22. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    business cards sound good - but I think there are some rules about soliciting and putting stuff on cars......a business card would just fall down into the inside of the card unless held in place by the windshield wiper and I don't know how many people would appreciate getting that sort of stuff on their windshield.........

Yeah, I don't know if that would be such a good idea. We are a rather niche group... but business cards to give out to people who seem interested isn't a bad idea.

The flyer that was on campus........do you remember what you put on it? Just the name of the fanforce? and "Go to theforce.net" for more details? or was there a little more?

IIRC it said something like "Like Star Wars? Want to get together with other's that share your passion yadda yadda... Visit this URL" Ask Ashley, she made it. :p

A good place to advertise might be the public library downtown - just talk to the head librarian or something - maybe they'd let a flyer be put up. That would attract a lot of interest I'd bet.

That actually sounds like a very good idea. It certainly sounds better than putting the flyers in the books at a bookstore. :p

23. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    It certainly sounds better than putting the flyers in the books at a bookstore
    Most bookstores frown upon groups adding advertisments to their inventory. Has the occasional JKOC business card found it's way lodged among the books in a Cleveland area "Borders"...who can say? ;)

Business cards are great! I pass them out to folks I meet in toy stores, book/comic stores, video game stores, someone wearing a SW t-shirt. Strike up a conversation with them, let them know there are other fans (like them) in the area. Introduce yourself (and FF) to some of the local buisness owners that carry SW-related stuff. You are their source of income...and maybe they can help generate more interest in SW.

As for flyers, keep it simple: a FF logo (if you have one), local website URL and/or Fanforce.net, and maybe some the name of your Fanforce.

If you're stuck on ideas...chek out my sig, and just change the details ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.