main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advisory Council-Needed or Unnecessary

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Master Salty, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I understand it's just an analogy, but it misses a huge piece - Moderating these boards is not a 'job'. It's a volunteer position. Expecting results and meeting deadlines like a well-run business isn't realistic.

Only if you say so, but if you say it is realistic, then suddenly, it is. The power of declaration is a powerful thing indeed, just as powerful as saying "well, we can't." It's like the saying goes "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." Now, don't get me wrong, Verticle, I understand that since being a mod is a volenteer position, the mods aren't going to dedicate the level of time they do for, say, a real paying job, nor should they (IMO). But the principles that one could use in a business can still be applied, just on a different scale.

I fear that if no deadline is set, a best case scenario has Comm Reforms coming around by the October at the earliest.

2. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    being a mod is more than just a volunteer position. it's a privilege. it's something that many people hold in high regard. and it's not something that mods should take for granted and get holier-than-thou about and say "you're lucky i'm volunteering my time." because the reality is that the mods are lucky that they have been deemed worthy of being in a position of "power" and "authority" (even if it's "just a messageboard"). none of them are irreplaceable. there are plenty of other other people that could do the job. if a mod doesn't respect and honor the position then they don't deserve it, and it should be given to someone who does.

sorry for getting off track, i just think that needed to be pointed out.

3. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    at the risk of being accused of side-tracking this thread, I'd just like to point out that I'm glad ( and I am sure many others will agree ) that, despite his stepping down from the Top Dawg slot, Vertical is still around, offering his advice and suggestions, and will continue to help make the forums better for all of us. Too many people when they step down, depart or vanish ( Nathan, where are you?? ) and it's good to see Ryan sticking around, being the Elder Statesman...

ok, back to our regularly scheduled drama...

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Too many people when they step down, depart or vanish

Sturm hasn't even stepped down, and I haven't seen him in two weeks. :( Actually, given our differences in time zones, I don't see him even when he is around, but that's beside the point, maybe even behind it. [face_mischief]

In other news, you all might be interested to know that I?ve just started a thread in the AC entitled ?Communications-Needed or Unnecessary.? :)

Hah! I lie. [face_devil] The thread is called ?What?s wrong with Communications, and how can we fix it??

Just doing my part to keep the AC busy. :)

5. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    AM i a mod yet?

6. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Yes, now start banning.

7. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    Do you know that in 2002, nearly twenty mods left the JC (either entirely or simple retired) compared to around half a dozen the year before? I just thought that was an interesting (perhaps telling) bit of trivia.

8. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Keep in mind, we also have a lot more moderators than we used to, which is a side effect of having more members. I can remember Padme Bra as a regular user asking whether we still had moderators, and when DL was the only moderator in the Literature forum.

9. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I remember those days as well. I remember when Chyren, Jasman, and DL ran the show.

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Good point, Gandolf.

And where did that thread go? I know it was there at the back of Communications at some point in the not too distant past.

Edit: Here it is. It was just upped at some point, and so it wasn't right at the back.

11. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    It's still back there. I was reading those old threads last week. It's interesting how opinions change for people that switch from regular user to moderator.

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The thread is called ?What?s wrong with Communications, and how can we fix it??

Yeah, sure. My "Better Use of Comms" thread wasn't good enough, apparently. *insert joking face here*

Amazing.

13. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Seeing that roughly half the posts here were from ACers defending their positions on the AC, one wonders if the efforts spent doing that might better be spent actually working to improve the JC and producing visible results, rather than trying to convince teh public of their essential nature.

14. NadaDevotchka

NadaDevotchka Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    There is no essential value.

15. NadaDevotchka

NadaDevotchka Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    I remember those days as well. I remember when Chyren, Jasman, and DL ran the show.

I remember when you were reminiscing about that.

Aren't memories great? They're all we ever really have.

16. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Okay guys, focus please. This is a thread about the AC, and that's what should be discussed. Fixing Comms and all other discussion should happen in threads designed for that, not this one.

17. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    MrEmh...
    "Do you know that in 2002, nearly twenty mods left the JC (either entirely or simple retired) compared to around half a dozen the year before?"

Your number is misleading, though, as you ignored that several of those are back, either under their mod name or a new one. :)

18. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    A lot of the results produced aren't necessarily going to be highly visible fireworks. Most of what the AC and Mod Squad do is the day-to-day, little-by-little fixes that over time result in major improvements.

19. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "Seeing that roughly half the posts here were from ACers defending their positions on the AC, one wonders if the efforts spent doing that might better be spent actually working to improve the JC and producing visible results, rather than trying to convince teh public of their essential nature."

You don't think we can do both? I have a lot of time on my hands. And actually, I think most of us said that if Comms were better utilized (hence the threads for that in the AC), then the AC would be unnecessary.

Amazing.

20. OrgulloDelPuma

OrgulloDelPuma Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    A lot of the results produced aren't necessarily going to be highly visible fireworks. Most of what the AC and Mod Squad do is the day-to-day, little-by-little fixes that over time result in major improvements.

I fail to see any of these "improvements" solely due to the AC. The single greatest improvements of the JC have come by the hands of regular members who have demanded change, like in LB's case with his little revolution which ended with creating the new forum, and eventually him becoming admin. That's what gets things done, action. Sitting around and discussing everything in a forum gets nothing done.

21. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

That's what gets things done, action. Sitting around and discussing everything in a forum gets nothing done.

But sometimes taking action before thinking things through can horribly backfire. In the case of Communications and/or AC reform, however, they certainly seem like two topics that could use more action and less talkin'.

And on an unrelated note, it's good to see MrEmh again.

22. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    Griff, it's always good to see you. ;)

23. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    This is just so sad. In two plus years none of this will matter. Star Wars films will be done with and most won't care enough to stay. Especially with this crap going on.

What's worse is that some people will try desperately to gain modship before this place disapears after EP3. So everything will be fair game to them.

TFN expanded because it needed to at the hight of its popularity. In 2 years plus this place will be a mess of compications with not enough people to care. Maybe we should gradually start the reverse process and try and work towards simplicity so that the place doesn't look like swiss cheese in two years.

I say do away with the AC. Aybabtu has clearly shown that it doesn't work for whatever purpose it was meant to have. There will always be problems and too much drama baggage attached to it.

24. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't think Josh has any intentions of closing up shop after Episode 3.

25. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Well, the movies are just a small part of the saga anyways. [face_mischief]

The Star Wars literature will be going strong. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.