main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVI Air Travel tips, and some handy dandy Do's and Don't Even Think About Its.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by DarthBreezy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Because my industry gets a LOT of slack (a good chunk deserved, but SO much is ALSO Passenger RESPONSIBILITY!) Here are some handy dandies:

90% of what I'll tell you applies to every airline or are TSA mandates.

ANY child who has reached their second birthday MUST have a seat. If the child turns two 'mid trip' (and DOB is mandatory so no 'he/she's just big for her/his age') TSA fines are pretty big for us, and a last minute tickets are REALLY expensive. Ask the agent if a RT is more economical than a one way, contrary to popular belief, we really want to HELP you as a positive experience with us, and the potential for repeated business is worth more than a couple hundred bucks.

Int' air fares for children are not always available on all routes, and EVERYONE flying from outside of the US MUST have a Pass Port (including INF's flying in and out of Canada/Mexico.)

Almost everyone has checked bag fees - it's EACH direction and NOT included in the ticket price. Don't try to shove everything into your carry on - It'll just get gate checked and you'll not only delay take off, but you'll STILL have to pay.

A good option is definitely to SHIP to your hotel any costumes/props - Fed Ex, UPS etc - insurable, traceable, and won't end up in Tulsa.

Weather happens - ATC happens a LOT, mechanical issues happen - it may seem trivial if a door light won't go off, but I'm sure you wouldn't think it so 'trival' if said door opened up at 3000 feet and 500 MPH.

ATL/NYC and southern Florida are subject to some nasty storms especially - Trust me, if we're not flying due to weather, chances are no one ELSE is either.

MY job is to make sure you GET to your destination Safely - if there is a delay/cancellation, calling up and screaming (or at the APO personnel etc) about how you NEED to get to X place, like yesterday is NOT going to help you. If you are going to behave like a turd, go lay in the grass and let me help the NEXT person. I'll do the bare minimum for you, as that's my job, but if you're HUMAN, and work with me - well, you might be routed back through MEM or the like, but by god I'll get you there asap.

Allow plenty of time before and after the con to get to the airport. It's a crazy season to begin with, allow a couple hours to grab a crappy cup of coffee and see if you can spot your fellow fans in the masses.

Don't mess about with the TSA - it is what it is, and they don't get paid to have a sense of humor. Even with my own Airline clearance, I've been subject to the Nude-o-scope - don't choose the start of your trip to raise a ruckus.

Prop weapons - NOT IN THE CARRY ON! Obi-Anne had the awesome idea of putting it at the top of her checked bag with a photo and a note - also doesn't hurt to declare it at check in (again, allow time) - trust me, we've shipped stranger...

Thanks, and have a great flight... :p

2. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Can I please get two bags of peanuts during my flight to CVI?

;)

3. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Go for the Biscoff- Biscoff>>>>>>X10000000>>> peanuts! ;)

4. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I believe I will. :)

5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    We fly A LOT, and 95% of the time we fly Delta. For the past year-and-a-half, we have only been offered pretzels. No peanuts or Biscoff! :(

6. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    My first thought is, 'Who are you pissing off?' :p

Biscoff and OJ is the Coach Class Breakfast of Champions!

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    It is. Luckily, I can actually get Biscoff in the Delta Sky Club.

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Do you mean "flak"? :)

9. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Leaving LA after C4 I had a run in with TSA! Two guys appeared out of nowhere and said that they would "Take care of" one of my bags...I said "Its cool! I got it but thanx!" One of the rather large men said "No. We'll take it for you." I just handed it to him and said "Ok. Thanks." I could tell they meant business! Got back to Texas...my bag was there...no problems.

10. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Nope.

11. Jedi_Five

Jedi_Five Jedi Master star 1

Jul 23, 2010
    Thanks for those! Well, I've been on several trips to the U.S. from Canada... And besides flight cancellations and delays (which happened a few times, but hey, it's all about safety so I don't mind). The only thing that really ticks me off is going through customs. I still haven't figured out the reason behind their "weird" questions and always feel so unwelcomed, even if I am finally told "Welcome to the United States!". Everytime, I try to prepare my answers and be as simple as possible and I always feel like I've committed a crime of some sort. I started thinking that it is their job to make you feel unwelcome.

12. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Jedi_Five, please don't take it personal.
    When I arrived from Japan into Detroit Metro I was singled out, body searched and was asked about my home state (Michigan).
    The State Trooper made attempts to trip me up about my hometown. After answering his questions
    truthfully, he smiled. 'You're from Flint all right.' My only thought . . . how clever!

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note for those flying international and stopping at multiple airports - you're probably better off not buying any liquids in duty free. Some transit airports will confiscate. The rules differ in different countries so check before you waste money.

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Heh, very true. The only difference from my point of view (as a U.S. citizen) is my interrogation ends with "welcome home." Thanks for rolling out the welcome mat for me, fellas. Care for refreshments? ;)

The questioning isn't nearly as intensive for Americans entering Canada. The last time I went, they asked if I'd been to Canada before, and I replied that I had because I have relatives there. The border guards were satisfied with that and didn't ask anything else. I guess anyone related to a Canadian can't be so bad. :p

15. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

16. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Did onPeak give Air fair codes ( Discounts) for CV?
    Did anyone use it?

17. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Yes they will, but the airlines aren't selling tickets for that far out yet. :)

18. jedimomtosith

jedimomtosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2009
    A month before CV I went to the airport and had a meeting with TSA. I had them com eto my truck to look at my 7ft rifle and blasters of my Aurra Sing costume. The TSA manager said that the weapons were fine to go on the plane as cargo in an appropriate case but....my vest that has canisters on it wasn't going to go on the plane at all. Looks to much like a vest bomb he said. To late to change my travel plans I had a 501st member who was driving down transport my rifle, blasters, and vest. I paid them gas money and packed them food for the trip there and back.

19. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    OnPeak has updated there web site so that when you click on the "Flights" tab ,IT now gives two airlines ;Delta and American with a coming soon "Code" . Delta has a 2-7% discount and American has a 5% listed. I hope Southwest gets a code .

20. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004

I've flown several times to cons with lightsaber hilts in my carry-on luggage and TSA had no problem with them. They have to go in the carry-on luggage because of the re-chargable batteries. TSA just swabs them for explosive residue. Half the time the TSA people know it's a lightsaber right away, too.

The lightsaber blades MUST go in checked baggage. A long hard stick is NOT going to make it in the cabin.

21. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    DL will do 360 days out - As SW isn't an 'official airline' I doubt they will have a discount code.

22. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Who is?

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  24. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I don't think I saw any posting about the Mears Shuttle, but I've used it every time I've been to Florida over the last 10 years or so and they provide a great service getting you from MCO to your hotel and back. You can arrange everything online before you leave and I think a round trip ticket is about $30.

25. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Most of the nicer hotels have shuttle service as well .