main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All Things Costuming and Costume related! plus meetups!?

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Darth Erebus, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I also would like our tribe to have a WNY theme; inspired by the ice, snow, the Falls perhaps, and maybe even buffalo. I like the tribe sigil or icon that is being discussed! And, I am thinking of using a color palate of white and grey as well with blue accents. And having a Wampa and a Tauntaun pelt with its horns (ala a buffalo -- I know, not the same kind of horns but it is the spirit of it).

BigDanLevitan likes this.
  2. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    I will be home next weekend. If everyone that wants to be a mando would like to get together and chat let me know. Sunday would probably be the best day, but I am available anytime that weekend

3. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Alright, costume workshop - go! Who's in, who can host, who needs what?

4. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'd like to be in. As to the rest, I'm really on the ground floor if not the basement: lookin for guidance on ideas already shared on this thread.

5. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    I need a helmet. The guy I'm going thru has s stock on sale til thanksgiving. I'd like to be part of this too.

6. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    i want in but this is a bad weekend for me...

7. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    Im a free single man this weekend with nothing to do sat....heck I might even be able to host if people dont mind coming out to lockport

BigDanLevitan likes this.
  8. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    The keyword is Lockport.....lol I will be there.

9. DEE_SKYWALKER

DEE_SKYWALKER Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 12, 2011
    Some tips I learned from my costumes since I can go to the Workshop:

1) Modified Bobba Hasbro helmet.
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Bob...52424684&sr=1-10&keywords=adult+jango+costume
    You can get it now for forty some bucks. Some Walmarts had it in clearance for $25. I guess they caught on and now Amazon has it for $50.

2) Jango 2-piece: http://www.starwarscostumes.com/mask-jango-fett.html Kind of flimsy but you can solve it with like 2 or three coats of Plasti-Tip (sold at Home Depot). This rubber spray is amazing. It rubberizes the surface and gives it some strength. It also gives it a rough surface so it's very easy to paint with no sandpaper required.

3) Paint: Like I said, Plasti-tip is an amazing product. I sprayed my helmet and my pistol with it and it gave it the rubberized coat. After it dried I was able to spray everything with white paint and then apply the colors that I wanted with no problems. IF you don't use the Plasti-Tip the surface of the helmet will be more difficult to work with.

4) I made my armor with foam board: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...rd=foam+floor+mats&storeId=10051#.UJxjXMXA-f4
    They call it "EVA Foam" but the description at HOme Depot is "Interlocking foam mats". I know it's multicolor instead of black but the texture in the back is the one you want. It has a smooth side and an armor-like texture in the other. The black ones have the diamond plate texture in one of the sides and I found that it's harder to work with. I rather buy the multicolor ones and Plasti-Tip them so I can paint them.

5) A Dremel tool is essential. Period.

6) A heat gun to mold the foam is key

7) Quality acrylic paint. Liquitex brand is boss.

8) Aging of the kit. I didn't do this part because I wanted to troop with you guys so bad but that's my next step. I found a tutorial that I can share later on how to do it.

10. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Congratulations Jedi Bill, you are now part of the Echo Base Jedi Order!
    [​IMG]

11. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    Got some new dark brown material over the weekend... Hmmm [face_thinking] ...... what could possibly be coming down the pipe here????

12. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    I need to make a few JEDI ROBES...

Anyone have recommendations for the best fabric to use?

13. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    I have some that I just picked up from Joanne's. I'll bring it to the meeting on Saturday.

14. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    awesome! thank you Jon!!

15. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    UPS guy?

72Princess likes this.
  16. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Just gonna say it.... Nice!

I finally ordered the roll pin buckle from England. Trying to get a move on with the pilot costume. I know it won't pass RL by a long shot, but I'm working on tayloring Gil's old flight suit to fit me until I can get a proper orange jumpsuit. I'll need to work on the harness and possibly the belt at the costuming workshop.

17. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Was there a scheduled Costume Workshop this coming weekend? Thought I saw that somewhere but I find the thread...

18. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Maybe I'm crazy... Ok, yes. I am, but..... for some reason, I have it in my mind that we set a date of December 8th or 9th for a get together. I can't find it in writing and thought it may have been mentioned at the November meeting?

Anyway, bumping this thread up a little more to get some attention.

19. WookieeJedi

Jun 15, 2009
    No Jon you are not crazy...at least not in this instant. We talked at november meeting about getting together to take photos of costume to submit. Also think mentioned a costume shop some what as well. I was wondering if still on for this. Im actually in basement now working on finishing touches to my Pilot.

20. jediprof

jediprof Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2009
    Sounds good. How about 2:00 Saturday at my place for photos, etc?

21. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    2 sounds good. I don't know if I'll have my pilot back from my inlaws in time, but I have the nylon webbing to make the harness and hopefully the buckle will arrive in time - it shipped from the UK on the 22nd. I also need to take pictures of my Jedi for RL approval.

22. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Sounds good to me. I think we had Lisa as well who needed to take new pictures...

23. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Jon, crazy? Forgettaboutit! :cool:

24. WookieeJedi

Jun 15, 2009
    Ill be there

25. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    WooHoo! got the Roll Pin Buckle from England. I can build the belt for the flight suit now. Can I reach out for some help with this? I'll bring what I have for my pilot and I'll need photos of my Jedi for RL approval. Anyone have any extra pouches or food capsul tubes for the Jedi belt?