main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alternatives to spirit gum?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Miana Kenobi, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hi all! I was wondering what other adhesives people recommend for baldcaps, special effects make up, etc.

I discovered the hard way that I'm allergic to spirit gum. I'm not sure what component in it I'm allergic to, and I'm loathe to go buy a bottle of other types of adhesives because they're all expensive and I don't want to drop $30 on something I might not be able to use.

Any good suggestions?

2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    What I've heard from past make-up artists is that pros-aide is a good replacement.
    They've told me that most people who react to spirit gum haven't had a problem with it.
    It's supposedly formulated for sensitive skin.

I looked it up and it's 6.50-10.00 for a small 2 oz bottle from what I see.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I can't say I've ever tried it for baldcaps and the like, but I used eyelash glue when I was dancing/doing theater for all manor of gluing things to myself. It wouldn't work for anything heavy as it's not that strong of an adhesive, but it's certainly not expensive to give it a try.

I've heard good things about pros-aide as well, but I've never used it myself.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Well whatever adhesive is on the Medical tape they use after surgery I'm also allergic to, so here's hoping it's not that.

5. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    PA isn't an alternative to spirit gum, it's the preferred glue :) It's acrylic based so generally if you are okay with Liquiset or other sealers you should be okay with PA. It's a medicaladhesive not just because it holds so fast but is flexible and water resistant and has no solvents! Definitely worth getting a small bottle as it goes so very far (the lack of solvent means there is very little that evaporates off between uses and during use) and you can mix it with acrylic paint or some wtaerbased paints to touch up/colour latex appliances.
    There are so many kinds of adhesive used in medical tapes it's impossible to know which glues you'd be sensitive to, if you are able to it would be wise to ask what tape was used so you can avoid that whole class (latex/acrylates/silicones/urethanes etc.) 3M has a pdf on medical tape injuries which may help narrow it down?
    "Medical adhesives and patient safety: State of the science" abstract here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23759927 but 3m has the link on most of their medical tape pages :) It's on the right of the pages :)

PA is tough to remove in a hurry but does come off with hot water and soap and baby oil or isoproyl myristate. So you will need extra care when removing.

Miana Kenobi likes this.