main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by padawanlissa, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Has anyone else read and loved this series?

2. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

Oooh, yes. I'm glad you made this thread :) Pern was my second great fantasy love, after Narnia. I've read them all, except Todd McCaffrey's new one.

I was quite disappointed by Dragon's Kin. I think I prefer F'lar and Lessa era novels prior to All the Weyrs of Pern (which still makes me cry). Mind you, Dragonsdawn is one of my absolute favourite sci-fi/fantasy novels. It was the first one I read, and boy, it got me hooked.

3. padawanlissa

Jul 31, 2005
    I've only actually read about the first 8 or so, all by Anne McCaffrey.

I think this was one of the first fantisy series I read.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I started to read Drgaonflight, thought it stunk, and put it down. Doubt I'll be touching that series again. Plus Anne McCaffrey has a chip on her shoulder.

5. Ariadne

Apr 29, 2003
    She does? I admit, I don't know a great deal about her background or her inspiration as a writer, but I never thought she had a chip on her shoulder about anything in particular.

padawanlissa, which is your favourite so far?

6. padawanlissa

Jul 31, 2005
    I think I liked the Harper Hall trilogy best.(Dragon Song, Dragon Singer and Dragon Drums)

7. Ariadne

Apr 29, 2003

I like the Harper series, too. Menolly is a fantastic character and it gives us a glimpse into the life of ordinary people, which I like. Dragons are fun, but it's nice to see how the other half live.

That, and I like Robinton very much in that series. He's much less of a political manipulator, and more of a human being trying to do his best in a rapidly changing world. Have you read White Dragon? There's some good Menolly - Harper stuff in that one.

I can't stand Jaxom, though. And I don't know why :(

8. padawanlissa

Jul 31, 2005
    I read it, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember very much about it.

9. Ariadne

Apr 29, 2003

Heh. I chiefly remember Jaxom's whining.

10. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    I liked F'lar and Lessa centric novels the best. I've enjoyed most of Anne McCaffrey's books exploring the rest of the world of Pern, especially the Harper Hall series and the book devoted to Robinton's life. However, I haven't enjoyed the last few books. Mainly they bored me and din't seem relevant to the rest of the stories in the Pern universe. I think that if that is the direction that Todd McCAffrey is going to continue going in with the series, I will probably stop reading them. :(

11. padawanlissa

Jul 31, 2005
    In my opinion, The Harper Hall and the ones about Lessa and F'lar were the best. Dragon's Dawn was all right, but Nerilka's Story and Moreta weren't as good. Those are the ones I've read.

12. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I've read every one of these books (as far as I know) I loved them. I think I started reading them because I remembered 1 of her short stories from a english class.... a few years later I bought DragonFlight, Dragon Quest and The White Dragon all in one book. Since then I've worked on buying and reading all of them.

I just reread all of them this summer. :D

hmm, favorites... probably DragonFlight

jcs

13. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    It's been a while since I read Pern, but I've read everything from Dragonflight to The Masterharper of Pern. I loved those books - even bought The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern and followed some of the recipes to make klah and bubbly pies. :p While Lessa and F'lar are my favorite characters, I think I'd say Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragonsdawn were probably my favorite books. Go figure. :p

14. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    I think I read one once...[face_thinking] can't quite remember. Which would you reccomend to start on?

15. Jaina_Solo_15

Dec 5, 2002
    I would start with Dragonflight. McCaffrey did write some prequels to that, but I don't think the prequels are really the place to start. It would be like getting into Star Wars by reading the Sith War comics first. Doable, and a starting point yes, but not really the best place to start. *shrug*

Then again I think Dragonflight was one of the best of the Pern novels so that's also good. :)

16. Ariadne

Apr 29, 2003

I've got that Dragonlover's Guide to Pern somewhere. Ramoth is the size of a 747 jet :eek: Never did try the recipies, though.

And yeah, Dragonflight is definately the best to start on.

17. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I have the Dragon Lover's Guide to Pern too!

I would definately start with Dragonflight first... I think that it was the first one she wrote. (After you read all of them you can try to read them in Pern chronological order :D )

My mom gave me a copy of the Atlas of Pern (or something like that) for xmas this year. It's really cool too... even if it doesn't include stuff from many of the more recently published books.

I think it was published after Moreta came out.

jcs

18. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Dragonflight was definately my favorite one closely followed by the Harper series. I never really could get into many of the others. I imagine that I will eventually get back to it though.

19. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Definitely best to start with Dragonflight. I started with Dragonsdawn, and even though I loved the book, I wish I hadn't started there. It kind of just made things confusing. :p Dragonsdawn has more impact if you're already familiar with Pern, in my opinion.

I haven't seen The Atlas of Pern. Sounds cool, though. :D Does anyone else have The People of Pern? I love Robin Wood's illustrations. So many of her paintings seem to perfectly capture the character. :)

20. Ariadne

Apr 29, 2003
    There's more background material on Pern? :eek: I must get hold of this Atlas and People of Pern thing.

Has anyone got or even heard of the CD of Pernese music that a fan and friend of the author made? Can't find it anywhere, and I really want to hear what the Fire Lizard Song and Brekke's Lament sound like IRL.

21. Jaina_Solo_15

Dec 5, 2002
    I got the People of Pern from a library once. It was a very cool book. Robin Woods drawings were truly incredible. It's well worth buying for any hardcore Pern fan. :D

22. Ariadne

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm going to have to look into finding that. How up-to-date is it?

23. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    It's out of print now. A few people are selling it used on Amazon, but at fairly outrageous prices. A library, used book store, or maybe eBay would probably be a better bet. A google search led me to this fan site that has scans of some of the better portraits. As to up to date, it was published in 1988, so it'll only contain characters who were published before then. :)

I hadn't heard about a cd! :eek:

24. Ariadne

Apr 29, 2003

I hadn't heard about a cd!

Not many people have ;)

I came across a list of track titles and a scan of the CD cover on Anne McCaffrey's own website a few years ago, but all information on it now seems to have vanished into the ether. Kinda like the proposed TV series, really.

I should have bought the damn thing when she was selling it on her website.

25. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I haven't read this series in awhile, but really enjoyed it. I may just have to read them again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.