main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Announcing the JC Focus Group

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I doubt there's anyone here at the JC who'd be interested in every little detail so I guess the fact that only certain people would be interested in certain topics would help create a diversity in FG participants.

I guess I just want there to be more people involved. The JC has a lot of users - granted not all of them may be interested but those who do should have the chance to take part. And that's why I also feel that people who don't post at the comms. forum should be informed. Maybe the reason people stopped pay attention to the AC was because it was always full of the same people. I just feel that sometimes more opinions help keep things alive and stop them growing stale.

2. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    "Do it like the 'Mod Squad' and give a detailed summery with uncredited comments scattered throughout."

I agree, but for different reasons than Breezy stated. I don't think having the FG threads made public will cause people to change the way they discus the topic. Take the canon FG that's happening right now. It's a microcosm of a board wide discussion (some might even call it a war) that has been going on for years. Several of the participants, from both sides, are members who I recognize and already know where they stand on the issue. They know that people already know. They might change the methods they use to express their opinions, but making the thread public or not, will not affect their opinion, nor the conviction with which it is put forth.

Rather, I think a better reason for not posting the FG threads in their entirety, is length. I wouldn't even bother trying to read them. It would take to long. It would be much easier to simply post a summery that presented the main ideas, so that users who are interested in the issue, but were not involved in the discussion can get a basic understanding of the points made and decisions reached (if any) by each thread.

[i]"And that's why I also feel that people who don't post at the comms. forum should be informed."[/i]

I thought they were. Aren't there threads in various forums announceing different Focus Groups? If there aren't, there should be.

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    mrslush...
    "I thought they were. Aren't there threads in various forums announceing different Focus Groups? If there aren't, there should be."

Titles would also an obvious marketing tool as well to inform users of current discussions taking place.

4. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Speaking for myself, I don't think I would have made my posts any different within the AC than I did outside of the AC.

However, I did feel a certain amount of freedom knowing that what I was saying stayed within the realm of a private forum. Everyone there understood the context of what was going on and could keep it there. Opening up stuff to everyone's eyes makes it subject to that many more interpretations, making it more possible for things to be twisted out of their original intent.

I think having the FG be in a private forum is ultimately the best thing for that forum long term.

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I like the private forum. It confines it to the 14 people who are in our group, and there is a thread where we get to know each other a bit better. That way, we know who we're talking to, and it's not just some random people making posts and other users disrupting the conversation.

6. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    I don't think anyone is saying that other members should be allowed to actually post in the FG's. that would sort of defeat the purpose.

7. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I know, I was just saying why I liked that it was in a private forum that only certain people could post in. ;)

8. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i'm more inclined to listen to the comments on the privacy issue made by people who've participated in a FG, rather than people who feel they have to know everything someone else says. there's a difference between 'need-to-know' and just plain noseyness and/or distrust.

9. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Being in one right now, yes, I like the private forum idea better. (as I said)

I don't mind if things are posted in comms at a later date or the forum made read only when we're done, but as of right now, I'm glad that the converstations are private. It's not because I'm saying anything different than I would (I'm not) but it's nice to know that a bunch of people aren't watching every move you make live.

"This program was prerecorded."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.