main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Another "nice" conversation about Australian politics...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Katana_Geldar, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    We had a thread about this before, started by Ender_Sai of course, and with three elections this year (SA state, Tas State and federal) I thought it might be time to start it again...and maybe get a little life into this forum.

Sooooo, any thoughts? Guesses?

Here's some info I dug up on the Tassie one and Nick Pedley who is running in my electorate is one of my friends. And some info on the SA one[/link.

As for Federal, I heard today that they were guesing around spring for the election, and the odds are Rudd will get in again. I'm not happy. [face_plain]

2. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I think every time a new government in the Federal parliament has been elected they have always lasted at least one re-election and as much as K.Rudd's government has its faults, I'm personally not ready to go back to a Liberal party leadership so soon.

3. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    No Clean Feed!

4. Leviathan_

Leviathan_ Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    Pretty much. There's been one exception: James Scullin's one-term Labor government 1929-1931.

Funnily enough though when Scullin won his predecessor Stanley Bruce became the 1st sitting PM to lose his seat as well as an election (John Howard is, of course, the 2nd), and Scullin ended up governing in the middle of a financial crisis (aka. the Great Depression). Ominous foreshadowing? [face_worried] :p

Regarding the federal election at this stage Labor should comfortably romp it in - the polls have been sliding for them as of late but that's coming down from the ridiculously stratospheric high of the last 2 years.

5. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    That's not just Stanley Bruce but Stanley Melbourne Bruce!

6. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Hope the Coalition wins.

The country can't stand much more of the ear-wax eater, the worst PM since Whitlam.

7. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    So in ten minutes Australia could have our First female PM and the country will be doomed, or we will still have Rudd in which the country will still be doomed.

8. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Gillard is in. :(

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Interesting times ahead.

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
  11. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    Crikey, stone-the-crows, fair-suck-of-the-sav Shirl.....

A Sheila as PM. What's next??

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Julie Bishop will be the next leader of the opposition and parliament sessions will be fun fun fun to watch....

13. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    ::bump::

Latest Nielsen poll has Coalition leading Labor on two-party preferred (52-48). :eek: This follows the Galaxy poll from earlier in the week which had both parties level-pegged at 50-50.

Abbott might just win this ... especially if Labor keeps leaking like a sieve. :oops:

14. Ivo

Ivo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    I can't understand why labor and the Australian public at large actually believe the spin that the Liberals are the better economic managers. History(in the last 40 years) has shown that labor has done a better job at structually fixing the economy than the liberals.

It has just been luck that the liberals have been power when the world economy has good... except for June 1982, the Reserve Bank records, home mortgage rates cost us 13.5 per cent. Small business was paying interest rates of 14.5 per cent, our overdrafts averaged 15.8 per cent, and big business paid 17.5 per cent - matching the Reserve Bank's unofficial cash rate. The Treasurer at the time was John Howard, then in his fifth year at the financial helm. All these interest rates were under his control unlike now when the Reserve bank actually runs the economy.

15. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    11 years of luck? No one is that lucky, mate.

I find it hard to believe that people are believing spin at all. There's so much spin in this election on both sides that I am dizzy.

16. Ivo

Ivo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    Your right there has been way too much spin in this election not much of substance. So what economic policy did the liberals enact that caused the minerals boom?? I was living in Kalgoorlie when Peter Costello sold our gold reserves... made for great times there with all the gold mines closing down:(

17. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    So a hung parliament and suddenly the Independents are set to be 'not-so-independent' anymore...

18. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.