main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Any new finds?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Ralph_Wiggum, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2002
    Yeah, Alex, that Ames has become a joke. They never remained competitive with the Wal-Mart around the corner from them (which I'm assuming is a chain-wide problem). Plus, most of their merchandise was second-rate - a step above the Dollar stores. And to top it all off, I don't ever remember them changing the decor of the store to reflect the times.

Despite all off this, I'm kinda sad to see this particular Ames go. Back in the day (late 70's - early 80's) I used to stop there on the way to my grandmother's house in Lyndonville and "persuade" my mom to buy me the most current Star Wars figure in lieu of giving me my allowance that week.

Just recently (past few years), I have had some luck there with the harder to find figure du jour (bought my fill of Death Star Troopers there back in '98).

So, I guess it's all kinda bittersweet that Ames will be shutting their doors soon.

2. CaptainAlex1

CaptainAlex1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2001
    I agree that Ames was a step behind and I can add at times overpriced. There selection is small compared to WalMart and dare I say even K-Mart. But like you I did find my share of good deals with Star Wars stuff in the last two-three years. I'll pick up a Slave I most likely in the next week or two from Ames. Maybe I'll even pick up the hot rods if they have them dirt cheap. So now we have Target, K-Mart, WalMart, Toys R US, KB, sometimes EB Gameworld, and sometimes the local drug stores to get our collecting fix satisfied. Of course there is the Internet:)
    -Alex

3. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    The Brockport Ames is a dissappointment du jour. All they have is the ORIGINAL Wave 1 figures and no vehicles. To top it off, they are all listed at 6.99 and only 20% off. I'm waiting for the discount to go up to collect doubles because no ones biting at them yet.

4. jedi_lingster

jedi_lingster Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2001
    I found an Ames in an out of the way place. No k-marts, no Wallys, no Targets, etc. for MILES around. They have a poor selection now, but I talked to the rep in the toy department and they said they are still getting trucks in with a LOT of merchandise. They have over 3 mil to lquidate.

This store had plenty of slave 1's and jedi star fighters. They also had figs at 5.99 + the 20% off. I figure in a week or two they'll have 30 or 40% off and maybe a better selection of figs. oh, they also had Anikin's speeder in quantinty.

5. Curto

Curto Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    I stopped by this store a few weeks ago...and everything was overpriced as people have mentioned. This is the only place I have seen Kamino Jango recenetly, so when the price drops, I might go pick one up for custom fodder.

Otherwise, I spotted the Hoth Accessory set and the Yoda and C-3PO Deluxe sets at Target in Eastview. Haven't been anywhere recently, but I am planning a run this Friday during lunch. So any advice on where to hit would be appreciated!

6. CaptainAlex1

Dec 19, 2001
    Just got home from the Super Wal-Mart in the city and they have the Cantina sets for 9.99. They had about three of each. I picked up the Greedo one. All thre just rehashes in my opinion. Nothing earth moving about the figures. However the Cantina bar section is neat.
    -Alex

7. CaptainAlex1

Dec 19, 2001
    The Toys R Us in Henrietta has both the exclusive Landspeeder (x6), and the X-Wing (x5) on their shelves as of 3 pm Saturday afternoon.
    -Alex

8. jedi_lingster

Oct 2, 2001
    I saw the cantina sets. Yes, the bar is neat. BUT the only fig worth my pruchasing enmass is the Walrusman. His legs are those of an Imperial Officer. And now, THEY CAN SIT! Or beg for thier life in front of Vader, whichever you choose.

9. Paul_B

Paul_B Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2001
    I went to K-Mart in Webster after work last night and found the new 12" wave of figures (Dooku, Zam, Super Battle Droid). Also picked up the latest Hasbro Unleashed (Padme, Anakin and the awesome Vader).

I saw the (2) 12" electronic figs (Obi-Wan and Jango) but left them there. I'll wait for them to go on clearance like the Jar-Jar/Qui-Gon and Maul figs did.

No new 4" figs though.

PB

10. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    New Finds in Henrietta:

Wal-Mart: Cantina Sets

K-Mart: Basic Figure 2-Packs(some include Yoda), Yoda (x2), Dooku(x1)

There ya have it. That's it from Henrietta.

--Ryan

11. Paul_B

Paul_B Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2001
    What? - SW Trading cards. 7 card packs in a SW ATOC style tin. 5 different tins to choose from.

How Much? - $9.99 marked down from $19.99.

Where? - Penfield Target.

I bought 4 tins and am still missing 7 cards to make 1 set. If anyone has an extra cards and would like to trade, pleae let me know. I'm also lookign for the last tin... I think it's Jango Fett? I have Anakin, Oni-Wan, Mace and Dooku. Please let me know if you spot the 5th tin.

Thanks,
    PB

12. JediAgent

May 17, 2002
    Hey Paul,

I have some duplicate cards I would be willing to trade. Drop me an e-mail at rochesterrebellion@yahoo.com and lemme know which ones you are lookin for.

--Ryan

13. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    I got lots of extras plus full set for $15 if any one cares.

14. CaptainAlex1

Dec 19, 2001
    Collecting has been slow for the last two weeks but it looks like it's on with a fury. Just got in from Toyworks in Irondequiot. I got padme Pilot, Lott Dodd, Watto, and Tuskin raider with "pet". No sign of the other figures. No signs of Beardless Endor trooper or Mellow Yellow Clone Pilot. They also had plenty of Mauls and Anakins. KB at Irondequiot Mall had nothing new.
    -Alex

15. JediAgent

May 17, 2002
    Hey Guys,

I hit pay dirt today @ KB in Henrietta. They had justabout everything.

Basic Figures
    -------------
    Coruscant Attack Padme
    Watto
    Lott Dodd
    Tuskin Raider w/ Massiff
    Massiff w/ Geonosian
    Teebo (the podracer)
    Ki-Adi-Mundi
    Sith Lord in Training Darth Maul
    Tattoine Attack Anakin
    Cloud City Chewbacca
    Endor Han Solo
    Bespin Duel Darth Vader
    Goatee-less Endor Soldier

12"
    -------
    Clone Trooper Commander
    Red Clone Trooper

Vehicles
    ---------
    Jedi Starfighter with Obi-Wan

I still haven't seen Ephant Mon yet. Hope this helps all you collectors out there.

--Ryan

16. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2002
    In reply to JediAgent's post, these same figures were out in full "force" (pardon the pun) at the Pittsford Plaza Toy Works on 10/3 at noon. I snagged a beardless Endor Trooper for now, until payday rolls around.

17. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    On Sat. Oct.13 I found all the latest figures except for EphantMun. They are mostly in the Dump bin next to the regular display, so keep digging on those dumpers.

18. jedi_lingster

Oct 2, 2001
    ya never said where?!?!

19. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
  20. jedi_lingster

Oct 2, 2001
    All I'm looking for is the Clone Pilots, and the Clone Deluxe with Speeder Bike.

21. Curto

Curto Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Yesterday's toy run...

Henrietta TRU had new Endor trooper, Padme, Lott Dod, Watto, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Teemto Pagalies, Anakin, Maul, and Tusken/Massiff...no Clone pilot, Jango pilot, or Ephant Mon...which are the three I mainly wanted of course! :)

TRU, Wal-Mart, and Target all had the Gunships. This sucker is HUGE and a very cool toy. I just posted it in the Photo Archives. too bad I don't have the Clone pilot or Deluxe speeder clone to add to the pictures...maybe in a few weeks?

NO sign of the Deluxe figures anywhere yet, and Target has not had the Accessory sets at any time I've stopped by. :(

Gates Wal-Mart had the Acklay...but all the boxes I saw were beat to hell. Still, this is the first time I've seen it around here. I left it on the shelves though.

Mace and Tyranus Unleashed were also at TRU, as well as the three new Action Fleet vehicles.

Kay-Bee had the Playskool sets "Duel with Darth Maul" and "X-wing Adventure" ...does anyone collect these?

NO SIGN AT ALL of the Arena playset yet....I'm desperate to get one of these!!!!

Tomorrow, I'll be hitting Greece. Maybe Victor...depenmds if it is raining or not...

22. Robotech

Robotech Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    Chili KMart had the delux Geonoision set. No speederbikes. Also had a bunch of the new figures but no Pilot Jengo or Yellow Clonetroopers.

23. Curto

Curto Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Thanks for the tip, but they must have restocked after you left.

I stopped by around 6:00pm and there were a ton of the new figures (no pilots or Ephant Mon)....PLUS SPEEDER BIKE CLONE TROOPERS!

...oh, and Anakin and Geonosian Warrior as well....

There were about 5 Speeder Bikes left, 3-4 Geonosians, and about 8 Anakins (this figure sucks) left on the shelves.

Still no Geonosian Arena playsets though.... :(

24. jedi_lingster

Oct 2, 2001
    where is the Chili K-mart?

I'm not too familiar with where that one is.

I'm gonna check out the one across from eastview in the AM. (working nights gives me some sort of advantage)

25. Curto

Curto Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Directions to Chili K-Mart:

If you are coming from RIT....
    Take Jefferson Road away westbound over the bridge and all the way to the end. You will turn right onto Paul Road. Drive down past the McDonald's on the right, and then past the Bill Grays/Blockbuster plaza on the left.
    K-Mart plaza is on the left side...right across from the Wegman's.

If you are coming from 490...
    Take 490 West all the way to the Chili Center exit (I forget the number). When you get off the ramp, turn left and go under the bridge. stay on that road past 2 lights. Just before you hit the third light, K-Mart will be on the right side.

I hope that makes sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.