main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else looking forward to seeing Jar Jar again?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthHomer, Feb 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Crazy as it may sound, I actually can?t wait to see what that goofy Gungan has been up to since we saw him last. If he?s slightly more mature, it?ll be all the better.
    It?ll also be funny to see the audience reaction to his reappearance.
    :)

2. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    I'm looking forward to it as well.

I actually liked him in TPM. :D

3. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Isn't the whole reason for Epi II to be made is to show Jar Jars maturity? The rest of it is just for the kids.

Isurus

4. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I'm actually anxious to see him too. I hated him in TPM, or at least *tolerated* him. I can imagine whispers in the audience when he appears in AOTC in robes: "Oh look, Jar Jar!"

Whether people loved him or hated him, you gotta admit, he made a splash. (just not the splash I was hoping for) ;)

5. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    I am looking forward to seeing Jar Jar in AOTC. He made me laugh in TPM.

6. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Unless Lucas takes a much more mature approach to the character, then IMHO the less Jar Jar in AOTC the better. As far as I'm concerned, we got enough of him in TPM to last about a dozen movies. I'd prefer NOT to have a whole 'nother movie where he's constantly upstaging everyone with more of the same old "faw down go BOOM" stuff.

7. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Well, so far we have seen him in the trailer (where he remained upright the whole time) in just one scene. I imagine that he is just an honorary member of Padme's entourage and will stand around like the handmaidens of TPM.
    I won't mind Jar Jar's next appearance. I can deal with him.

8. DaRtHjAwA

DaRtHjAwA Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2002
    he's not suppost to be in the movie that much anyway right?

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    saberwielder,
    Let's just say that when he splashed, he made waves, eh? ;)

Anyhoo, I for sure am! I loved him in all of TPM except for the end Gungan battle, and I'm really looking forward to seeing his maturity in AOTC! :)

10. Assassin

Assassin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    I never really liked Jar Jar in TPM and I was very low key about my dislike of him.

But I am curious to see how GL portrays him in Episode II. I don't think anyone who disliked him before will walk away loving him but it would be cool if a more mature Jar Jar surprises these viewers. They might leave Episode 2 at peace with the character.

All in all, I expect Episode 2 to rock and TPM will always be the weakest of the new trilogy....Lucas stumbled out of the gates but like a true champion he has a great finishing kick!

11. REBEL_SKUM

REBEL_SKUM Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2000
    It took a lot of time for Jar Jar to grow on me, but now I don't mind him in TPM to the extend that I don't cring everytime I see him. I also don't think in my Jar Jar hating "prime" I hated him as much as others. I must say that I trust Anthony Daniels views... he said in an interview at one point that he was never a fan of Jar Jar in episode 1, but in episode II he doesn't mind him at all... So I have to say that if the man who has been in all the Star Wars movies doesn't find him as bad, or anoying then I trust him.

12. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I want to see how Jar Jar has evolved. He wasn't my favorite character but I do want to see the process he has made since TPM.

13. Tedakin_Skywalker

Tedakin_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2002
    I hear he has 10 minutes of screentime or something and a funny intro... not funny like Jar Jar falls down and smiles at the camera funny if you catch what I'm saying. I hated him in TPM, but grew to accept him over the years and now he'll hopefully be written out early on. We'll see.

14. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    The word "maturity", is thrown around way to much now-days regarding Jar-jar. Why would you want him to be mature? He's a comedic character not a dramatic one. It's like saying Bugs Bunny needs to mature because his antics are starting to annoy people. doesn't make sense right?

If any word would describe the new Jar-jar it would be "respectable". If he is a senator of Naboo now he would have to try and to be a little respectable. I wouldn?t be surprised if his clumsiness and goofiness would sneak in AotC from time to time. And to tell you the truth, I'd rather have a respectable clumsy JJ than a mature one, at least that would be true to his character. Lets face it it's part of his character, so lets deal with it.

Jar-jar could have been a really funny character if he had better dialogue not to mention an understandable one. And of course some of the poop jokes were pretty uncalled for, it just wasn't funny. Anyways if this character is going to work in the sequel then his writing has to be much improved. Lets hope Jonathan Hales and George Lucas did just that. :)

15. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I agree with Xero. Jar Jar can still be funny without annoying people.

For example, let's just say that Jar Jar is a representative of the gungan population in the senate. I really don't know his role in AOTC, but just stick with me if you do. Okay, so Padme is supposed to give a speech to the senate, but cannot, for security reasons, and dumps the project off on Jar Jar. Either that or she runs away with Anakin or something. Again, bear with me. Jar Jar is obviously unprepared, and when it is time for him to give his important address has a very nervous, but controlled tone in his voice, and he sort of fumbles through his notes, taking short pauses everytime he has to turn a page. This could be done subtly and not in the "in your face" method that Jar Jar used during TPM. If acted correctly by Best, and animated correctly by ILM, this could be a scene that makes Jar Jar a humorous character, while having him appear eloquent at the same time.

I dunno, I think a scene like that could work. Either way, my point is that Jar Jar can be viewed as both matured and humorous at the same time. I really hope that Lucas's script gave Jar Jar enough time to establish himself once again. I think that the character can be used as a way of keeping a more intelligent breed of humor into the film this time around. :)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    one wind to blow them all!

16. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Oddly enough, yes. I think he needs his chance to be mature. It's his payoff, hopefully.

17. The_Lion

The_Lion Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2002
    Jar Jar is funny. :D

18. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    Jar Jar would be hysterical if he were only played by Andy Meril (the voice of Brak).

I think Jar Jar and Padme should be like girlfriends in Episode-2. They'll have slumber-parties and pillow-fights, he'll braid her hair and they'll talk about who they have crushes on. Then there'll be the scene where Jar Jar tells Anakin that he knows someone who LIKE-likes him. ;)

19. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Hey little spoiler....Jar Jar sticks it to audience in EP2 it will be a riot! Just wait

20. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Qui-Gon: I think Jar Jar and Padme should be like girlfriends in Episode-2. They'll have slumber-parties and pillow-fights, he'll braid her hair and they'll talk about who they have crushes on. Then there'll be the scene where Jar Jar tells Anakin that he knows someone who LIKE-likes him.

[face_laugh] lol

21. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    QuiGonJinn: LMAO! [face_laugh] Now *that* would be something I'd like to see!

But seriously, I'm kind of dreading seeing him again. I'd definitely cringe if he opens up with another potty joke.

22. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    By "mature", I think folks are referring to the fact that he was basically an overgrown child in TPM. He had a moment with the Queen on Coruscant when he displayed a more thoughtful, "older" side to him, and that is the persona that I think a lot of his detractors (count me among them) are hoping to see in the upcoming films. George missed a perfect opportunity in TPM to use the thoughtful moment on Coruscant as a turning point for Jar Jar's character, opting instead to go right back to the same flailing about and shrieking bit for the remainder of the film. I'm hoping that the transformation has been made offscreen between TPM and AOTC, and that Jar Jar's upstaging sight-gag days are behind him.

23. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    The way in which Jar Jar will mature will be how, most of the time, an out-of-sorts kid matures after he grows up. He'll, hopefully, be the Jar Jar we saw talking to the Queen while on Coruscant. ala

"Gungans wont go down without a fight...we'sa got'a grand army. Thats why you'sa not liking us, me'sa thinks."

Ahh...you get the drift. Thats the only scene in TPM where you see a thoughtful Jar Jar. And I'm hoping thats the Jar Jar we'll see. Although, I wouldn't mind if he did kick it out with N'Sync some time. Seriously, Ahmed could teach those dorks a lesson about dance and body movements.

Isurus

p.s. I watched the TPM DVD last night, again. Jar Jar made me laugh more than ever. I liken it to this, and I wonder if anyone agrees. He has a sort of Craig Kilborn kind of thing going. Anti-humour. When Kilborn, now, opens his mouth, I cant help but laugh at him not with him. Who cares if it's a joke he's tellin or not. Do you get it?

24. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I'm looking forward to see Jar Jar, actually, as I've been thinking about it recently, and, although this is probably obvious to everybody else, I have a feeling he is going to do something extremely clever with the character. As I've said countless times, the only time where I didn't like Jar Jar was during the battle between the Gungans and the Droids, as I didn't like the way Jar Jar was being an idiot while the people around him were dying, but so long as there isn't anything like that in Attack of the Clones, Jar Jar should be rather good. It's just a shame Captain Tarpals isn't in Attack of the Clones, that's all :(.

25. Destro11

Destro11 Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2001
    If he has to be in the movie I hope its a brief appearance. Next to Jake Lloyd, the JarJarred one drug epI down the most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.