main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone willing to lend their precious?

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by thanosthemadtitan, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thanosthemadtitan

thanosthemadtitan Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    I've been having bad luck at the video stores: all the Star Wars DVDs are out for weeks and I can't bury the urge to watch the trilogy, prequels and clone wars. Can anyone help? The marathon idea was cool, except that I'm stuck in Cambridge. If anyone like to organize a viewing near here, that'll be cool, too!
    take care.

2. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    why haven't you purchased a copy of it already? as far as i know, they're readily available in a number of retail stores. in stock at all times almost.

3. PadmeSusyQ

PadmeSusyQ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    You may be very hard pressed to find someone not still watching them right now. All of mine are in the DVD changer and I've had them playing on infinite loop. This may be your time to make the leap and get your own man ;-)

4. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    okay the urge is TOO great to fight.

Disclaimer: these opinions are mine and do not reflect that of any group or organization.

DVD's of the originals?! first off there is NO such thing unless you go to ebay and get some high quality copies. The originals have unfortunately been replaced by the deluded FILTH generated from a senile old man's mind. And then you called it precious? wow I guess were all entitled to our own opinion but I would just as soon BURN a truckload of that FILTH than buy it. Wait that sounds like a good idea "EXECUTE ORDER 88"

end rant

5. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    I have a little RJ in Kit costume stuffed doll that I sit down with everyday and watch one of the special addition DVDs with. We have a great time.

Little RJs favorite part is when Geedo tries to shot Han but Han amazingly dodges and gets his own shot off. EXCITING!!!

6. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    I want pics of that doll!!!! is he holding a bat? does he have blood dripping from his forehead?

7. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    oh, he's referring to "THOSE" originals.

they can be purchased on ebay. people have done VHS->DVD transfers of NON SE. here it is:

http://search.ebay.com/original-star-wars_DVD_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfmcZ1QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ617

8. Obi-Wandering

Obi-Wandering Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    I gave in and purchased the OT DVD package when it came out, but my favorite ones to watch are still the original Widescreen Laserdiscs of the OT - drives my 9 year old crazy. The OT is what made me go out and buy my first laserdisc player. It's the only way to get the original OT widescreen movies of our childhood (before George "improved" on them) without going to pirated copies. I can't bring myself to go pirate as I work for a publishing company.
    Call me an uber-geek, but there's something very cool about those big Star Wars LD gatefold jackets and the laserdiscs. Pain to get up and change in the middle of the movie, though!

Oops! I should add that the LD's have about twice the resolution as a VHS copy.

9. thanosthemadtitan

Apr 25, 2005
    why haven't you purchased a copy of it already? as far as i know, they're readily available in a number of retail stores. in stock at all times almost.

boxset is over $50 and I still haven't paid rent yet [face_worried]
    Fonger, not everyone have extra cash to spare. seriously, this didn't cross your mind? is this one of those instances that prompted you to write things like "if you're a real fan you should be watching the digital midnight show instead of widescreen yada yada"? [face_monkey]

10. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    it's sorta like being a red sox fan and never, ever watching or listening any of the red sox games.

i would imagine that if you're fan enough to come to fanforce forums you would at least own star wars movies on DVDs, SE, NON-SE, LD, ANY edition on ANY medium.

and i'm not here to pick a fight (like you are), it just puzzles me that for someone to come on fanforce and not own star wars movies on any medium whatsoever.

11. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    and i'm not here to pick a fight (like you are),

Once again Fonger your opinions have created yet another controversy.

it just puzzles me that for someone to come on fanforce and not own star wars movies on any medium whatsoever.

You don't need to own Star Wars movies in order to be a fan, just like you don't need to watch a Sox game in order to be a Sox fan. Being a fan of something is not defined by what merchandise you own or how much you spend but rather what that something means to you.

I'm one of the biggest Red Sox fans that I know but I haven't been to a game in a couple of years and lately I haven't been watching as many games on TV as I normally would, but that doesn't make me any less of a fan. With Star Wars it's the same thing. I never purchased a copy of the OT when it was available on VHS and I still haven't got a copy on DVD yet either. I do what I can to enjoy everything Star Wars that my budget will allow, which is very low right now. So I visit sites like the official site and these boards to keep up with what I might miss in a book or comic series. Nobody's trying to pick a fight with you Fonger, or anyone else here, but unfortunately some of your comments as of late have struck a sour note with people because you don't think that maybe there's a good reason why a poster doesn't have their own copy of the DVD yet, and it's not because they're a "bad fan".

12. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    then i honestly dunno what you boys mean by being "fan" of anything at all. what kind of a fansite is this? all my trekkies i know over at trekweb.com own most of their favorite series of Star Trek on DVD. ALL OF THEM "fans"!

anyway, this'll be last my post discussing anything star wars related. i'll still participate events but i don't like discussing anything with you guys cause this is ridiculous. getting upset over nothing. it is you guys that are acting all high and mighty. cya.

13. thanosthemadtitan

Apr 25, 2005
    Easy dude.. no one's upset over nothing. I was reacting to your presumptuous statement, that's all. I didn't know you're the self-appointed fan police. ok, must own Star Wars DVDs, check! what else? eat Star Wars Kellog cereals? wear Star Wars t-shirts? use Star Wars bedsheets? oh, what about buying that ridiculously expensive Star Wars figures I saw at Newbury comics?

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I didn't know you're the self-appointed fan police.

I think that's what this comes down to. You're entitled to your opinion Fonger, but when you base it on a lack of information about who other people really are it is lloked at as an attack instead of a harmless comment.

Besides, it's not fair to compare Star Wars fans to Trekkies, they're a whole different breed (whatever that is [face_mischief]).

15. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but in some cases some people might not have the money to go out and get the DVD versions of the movies yet, for example I own all of the movies on vhs and I am waiting for the prices of the DVDs to go down a little before I go and get them.

16. PadmeSusyQ

PadmeSusyQ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    I am really soured and saddened by how bitter everyone is being. I empathize with the struggle of those who admire the films but can not run out and buy them but at the same time do wonder about someone who does not own ANY film.

I admit that I have moved on from school and have a career that allows me to feed my need for gear and toys and costumes. But I remember being a poor college student eating toasted bread for breakfast lunch and dinner. I also remember keeping an eye out at the video store back in the day of VHS\Beta and scoring a copy of Star Wars in the used section and buying it for the huge price of $4.99.

All I am trying to say is that different folks have different priorities and you have the right in this great country of ours to choose how you spend your cash.

But you don't have the right to squash someone's freedom to speak and bludgeon someone because they ask the question I'm sure many had on their minds.

But I'm just a girl and what do I know :)

17. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    hmm... any easy solution here. just need a
    volunteer O:RA to resolve this soultion LVS v 1.0 is at your disposle.

18. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Thanos, weren't you the one who asked me if I lived in Random Hall? Are you an MIT student? My DVD set is sitting all by itself in my dorm room gathering dust until I get back at the end of June. I'd be happy to arrange some method for you to get them to borrow. Just let me know!

I also find the negativity in this thread sad. Fandom is a really personal thing. We're all different here. It's possible to bond over differences as well as similarities. Many of us have grown close over the past couple of years. I'd like to see the group grow more without this bickering. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, just making an observation. I just really don't think it's so hard to play nice together, despite disagreements. :)

19. thanosthemadtitan

Apr 25, 2005
    Starwarschick, thanks for the offer! I'll get in touch with you if I haven't already found some!

PadmeSusyQ, sorry if I didn't bother reading the FAQ, but didn't realize you need to exceed a certain threshold of interest in Star Wars to join this forum ie should people not a big enough fan to scout for vhs copies of Star Wars not participate? just so you know, I do have the tapes back home and didn't bring them with me when I came here(for college) mainly because they're for PAL system! why didn't I buy any when I came here? cos I can watch them at my dorm for free! but now I'm out of my old dorm so I have no access :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.