main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC at Space and Rocket Center!

Discussion in 'Archive: Huntsville, AL' started by StormtrooperPrincess, Oct 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Yay! The IMAX version of AOTC is going to be in Huntsville! The SW Syndicate (http://www.swsyndicate.com) is going to do a costumed premier on November 2 (that Saturday) so that more people can come in costume. And so more people can come in general.

So. We'd love to see every single one of y'all there! This is going to be so much fun! *bounces off*

Here's the link to our discussion of it:AOTC at IMAX

2. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    i just received word from bama trooper about this.I let him know that i would come down and be a part of it on sat. as well.
    I am 501st and will be "vader" my son has a fantastic replica jawa costume and my daughter has a zam wessel costume.we will all come dressed up.
    [image=http://mglinks.com/sw2.jpg]
    will the space center give us dressed up some museum passes or anything?since im coming in from nashville i would like to make the day of it.i dont want to pay to get in after having tons of pictures made and promoting the space centers business.im really not worried about the movie but i would really like to see the musuem with my kids.has anyone been dealing with the museum to line this up?
    let me know.

ive also put a posting on the nashville forum and when you get some dates and times come up here and post all the info for anyone wanting to come down.

talk to ya later
    skip

3. Bama_Trooper

Bama_Trooper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    I am hoping this will help the 501st/RL get a good reputation with the museum folks. I was going to volunteer us for some activities next summer with thier space camp program, but I was planning on finding the museum director(s) while we were there at the dome...but since you are bringing the family and kids, I might do the same and so I'll see if the SW syndicate folks can get me some direct contact info for the museum.....

4. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Kevin and I talked with the managers yesterday, so I've got some updates.

AOTC will be showing at 3:00, 5:30, 7:45, and 10:00, and running through January 2. (Longer than in Atlanta! ;) ) The Syndicate will be at the 7:45 showing November 2.

Tickets are $10/adults and $8/children. Group rate is $8 and $6 for 25 or more people. Skip1, I'm about to PM you about that.

The museum will not be open after 5:00 any day, since it's run by seperate people.

And our forums are down for the moment, so we've been at http://pub38.ezboard.com/btemporaryswsmessageforum.

5. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    Anyone know how the movie will look on the dome screen? I've seen several IMAX movies at domes but never a movie that was designed for a flat screen. Even some IMAX movies distort the action on the far left and right of the dome. Hopefully it will look good since most of the action is panned/scanned to the center. The projection may not take up as much space on the dome so the distortion will be reduced. Any thoughts?

a link backing up what stormtrooperprincess said:
    IMAX AOTC

6. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, George Lucas himself saw it on both a dome and a flat screen, and said it looks fine. And Mr. Sanford says it looks great, too. Just bring dramamine if you get motion sickness. :)

7. MasterAero

Aug 23, 2002
    Thanks for all the info SP. I'm sure if Lucas said it looks ok it's great since he's demands quality at all the theaters that get Star Wars movies. I was willing to drive to Nashville to see it and I'll probably still go if I'm up there. I'm glad we're getting it here and surprised they're not showing Apollo 13 b/c it would probably do well..but then its not Star Wars.

8. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    They're probably going to show Apollo 13 in the summer, I think they said. The problem with it is that it's 2 hours, which disrupts their normal (1 hour) movie schedule. *shrug*

9. Bors_Kaegel

Bors_Kaegel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    Kevin of the SWS here. :)

I saw the trailer for AotC on IMAX at the Rocket Center today. The trailer was very short, but what I saw reinforces the fact that Star Wars is perfect for IMAX. In fact, if the proportions of traditional theaters to IMAX theaters were reversed and we saw every move in IMAX by default, I believe we'd ALL have a much bolder impression of Star Wars in general, today.

To put it simply, you won't be dissapointed - just bring something for motion sickness. A film created in the traditional format tends to have a much faster rate of camera movement, and that spells trouble for woozy viewers.

Links:
    Detailed Information on the SWS AotC IMAX Premier Event

10. broutright

broutright Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2002
    FYI:
    IMAX is more about you interacting within the film than your normal theatrical experience. In other words, it tries to put you inside the film's action. You must move your head around a little to see the film. You can?t stare at any one place on the screen. Remember that the aspect ratio of IMAX won't be the normal 2:35:1. IMAX will have to sacrifice the left and right end of the film to accommodate the round screen. I know some of you purists will upset by that. However the film will still feel and look great. Also the IMAX version of the film is going to cut about 23 minutes. I don?t know yet where these edits have been made. (I hope it?s the Naboo scenes.) You can avoid some motion sickness by watching an IMAX film to get used to it or you can try and sit closer to the center top.

Here is a little something else. If you wear a costume, wear something that not too big or restrictive. The Dome has smaller seats and rows than a normal theater. Also don't try to talk Star Wars with the ushers. Most of them aren't fans. I'm the only one! :) The Spacedome will be the first theatre to premiere AOTC. IT was the first to get rights to it. I'm quite proud!

11. Bors_Kaegel

Bors_Kaegel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    Event Update!

Everyone, Alabama's two main costuming groups will hold a combined Premier celebration at the November 2nd, 7:45pm showing of AotC on IMAX.

The Star Wars Syndicate and Alabama's local 501st outpost are to also host pre-event activites at the Huntsville Space & Rocket Center Premier in Huntsville, Al.

Activites include a Toys for Tots drive - sponsored by the 501st Outpost, and a toy raffle - sponsored by the SWS.

All fans - casual or not - come out and see all the costume fans and get your picture taken with one!

Visit our AotC IMAX section for more detailed information!

May the Force be with you!

12. MasterAero

Aug 23, 2002
    Hey Star Wars Syndicate guys..just heard you guys on the Rick and Bubba show. Good job getting a good commercial/promo for the AotC IMAX by showing up for their costume contest. They hyped it up pretty good and were impressed with R2 and your costumes.
    Not only did it go out on a lot of radio stations but on Turner South as well.

13. MasterAero

Aug 23, 2002
    How did AOTC look/sound at the Rocket Center? I looked in the AOTC thread and didn't see anyone who mentioned they saw it in a dome or in Huntsville. I had to go out of town. DOHHHH!!! (and i missed the simpsons) dohh. dohh.

14. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Sounded great, looked awesome (although sometimes Anakin had some really bad hair, when his head ended up curving around the sides of the screen :) ). We had a blast Saturday night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.