main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC released on DVD and VHS Nov.12th

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Knight150, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    Maybe in Lucas' mind but I like to keep them seperate.

2. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Ed, without TPM, you'd never have gotten your name (Theed), etc... :)

3. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    No no, Tony.
    One of his teachers called him "The Ed" on day so he put that together for his user name.
    It's okay, Rookie mistake. The height of Ed's time on this board was long before you were an active member.

4. DarthMeatloaf

DarthMeatloaf Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2002
    You're right, Ed.

The main man himself, Mr. Lucas has indeed confirmed it: The Trilogy on DVD will not be released until after Episode III. It's just a few more years...I can wait...Maybe...

5. MasterObiWan21

MasterObiWan21 Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2002
    I can wait seeing as I have no DVD player yet...

6. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    So technically, Ed owes everything to TPM.

I am definately going to reserve AOTC on DVD.

7. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    Where did you get that from, Will? I just explained!

8. Jedi_Knight150

Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    I still don't understand it either Dave.(Maybe because I haven't read the last page worth of messages....)

9. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    I understand

10. MaraJade75

MaraJade75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2002
    -=wistful=- I'm with dave...the original trilogy...they were classics...

the prequels don't have the magic. They don't belong in the star wars universe I fell in love with. the storyline is weak. the acting is unconvincing (and I know a lot of people say the acting in the original trilogy wasn't all that great but the acting in the prequels is blatantly subpar). lucas is too dependent on special effects...it actually ruined part of the sw universe for me, which was most unfortunate.

I almost wish lucas had never made the prequels. what am I saying? I do wish that he had never made the prequels. I would have rather he had some author flesh out pre-empire evens in whatever way he/she saw fit (as long as it meshed with preexisting references to that era)...

11. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I love the prequels and these claims of a weak storyline and other things have no basis. It has a very good storyline, its more complex than the original trilogy's, but I like it more. I think that they tie in very well and it fits like a glove. Lets not turn this into a basher/gusher war though. We are all here because we love star wars. And this thread is to discuss the dvd anyways.
    Here is a list of my good DVD's:
    Episode 1
    X-Men
    Terminator 2:Ultimate Edition
    Predator
    Jurassic Park
    all 4 aliens movies in a box set (I mainly like the first 2, but i bought it for the hell of it)
    Dumb and Dumber
    I got a bunch of other comedies and action movies too

12. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    They may be good DVDs but as far as movies go... I disagree with TPM and X-Men.. the rest I agree with.

13. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    Does T2: Ultimate Edition come with alot of extras?

14. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    yes it has a lot of extras. TPM was a good movie. X Men is a good dvd and I liked the movie because I was a fan of the comics. I have other dvds too like I said. I would def. be interested in a dvd shindig or whatever. How could I forget, I have Jaws on DVD too.

15. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Just a few things:

The magic of Star Wars - It's still there. Perhaps it's you who has lost the ability to see it in something new. Now, I admit, it does feel different, but I think that it's simply because it is new. It's not the same Star Wars that's been around for 25 years. But given time, it'll fit in.

Reliance on FX - It's always been there. Star Wars has always been FX heavy, even in ANH when it could barely be afforded.

The plot - Actually, the prequels have a far more complex plot than any of the originals. Look at it this way: ANH's plot was basically just to rescue the princess and destroy the DeathStar. AotC's plot was to find the assassain, the assassain's assassain, figure out why there's an army being grown and another being built, rescue Obi-Wan and on top of that, follow Anakin's descent to the DarkSide.

The acting - It's really no different. There are a few standout actors in both trilogies, but many are rather bland. The writing might be stilted, but that's Lucas, and he's always admitted to be a bad writer of dialogue. Only a few of the actors in any of the movies can pull of Lucas's dialogue well.

Good actors in the Prequels include Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, Yoda, and Liam Neeson. Hayden Christensen isn't bad. Natalie Portman isn't either, though she is could be better. Samuel L. Jackson does a good job as Mace Windu, and both of the Fetts played their roles well. Even the CG characters have some charm to them. Dex Jettster and Watto are both done well despite not having an actor actually portray them, and say what you will about the character, but JarJar Binks fits into the universe well.

In the Classic trilogy, the only really good actors are Harrison Ford, Alec Guiness and Ian McDiarmid(and of course, Yoda). Vader is a good character, but he's the result of several actors working in concert. Neither Mark Hamill or Carrie Fisher are greats of the acting world.

In both trilogies(how I hate actually saying that, it's one saga), Skywalker males are whiny, the females are at times demure and at times brash. Obi-Wan is a fount of knowledge and wisdom mixed with a quiet sense of humor throughout and Yoda is that as well.

16. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    All you PT bashers make me sick!!!

you say you love Sw but then all you do is bash the movies.

17. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    OMG, I've just emerged from the flame war with one prequel hater on the Russian SW board, and now this...

I don't agree that magic is gone, it's there and you just have to see it. I don't agree it's not the same universe as in OT - the universe is the same, but in a totally different period. In OT we have a story of rebellion, victory of good over evil, of hero's rising and villain's (the former hero) redemption. PT has a different story alltogether. It's about democracy turning into dictatorship, good guys losing and a hero's turning to dark side. It's a sad, even tragic story. I wonder when people are saying the magic is gone do they really mean it's not enough fun and excitement? But it's a different story, there's no place for fun in the corrupted universe.

18. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Thank you thats what I was saying!!

You have to forget everthing you know from the OT.The Pt is an entirally differnt story line all together.Everyone say TPM sucked but it doesnt,yeah I'll agree that its not the best movie out there,but its an introduction type of movie.It sets up the entire saga!!

19. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    I wouldn't say an entirely different storyline, but at the same time it is I guess...

It's just different. Different doesn't mean bad, in fact it can be quite good ;)

20. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    A lot of the critics seem to be in the mood that our generation shouldn't have our own Star Wars trilogy to go through as well.

This will probably sound stupid, but they seem to be jealous. Some older critics and SW fans don't seem to want others to go through what they experienced.

21. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Nope. They just want us to be as sulky as they are because they lost their ability to see the magic of Star Wars.

22. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    Down with critics! :)

23. MaraJade75

MaraJade75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2002
    a) first of all....I am not jealous of this generation having a star wars trilogy of their own because well I am part of this generation. I am 19 which is around the same age as a lot of you. I certainly don't belong to the 70s star wars generation because I wasn't even born then.

b) if you are questioning my devotion to star wars....then you don't need to. I was just like all of you...first in line for the first showing of phantom menace. I've grown a bit rusty but there was a point in my life (a couple of years ago) where you could have given me a ship...and if it was in the essential guide to vehicles and vessels or the game tie fighter...I could give you the specs for the ship..hull integrity, length, shields weapons..whatever.

c) that same devotion is what makes me accept the prequels in the star wars universe. It may be grudgingly...but I do count them...because they are part of the star wars universe. I am not one of those fans that goes about picking and choosing what counts in the sw universe and what doesn't based off what I like and what I don't. I go by lucas and lucasfilm.

d) I don't dislike the prequels because they're telling a tragic story and aren't as hopeful and upbeat. I like bawling my eyes out at movies.hey I get emotional during the little mermaid. I don't dislike the prequels because there's not enough fun and excitement...dude a lot of the scenes in the original trilogy move at a slow pace.

e) I know you guys feel really defensive about it because you've talked with people who weren't so much a fan of the prequels.

f) I felt I could share my opinion with you because well this message board is where ideas and opinions are exchanged and I felt like I could post what I felt here even if it was contrary to what the majority believes because well everyone here is intelligent and from what I can gather welcoming.
    I'm being honest. the prequels just didn't strike the same chord in me that the original trilogy did or that most of the books do. I could say I loved it as much as the original trilogy but then I would just be lying and that's something I decided I wasn't going to do. I don't lie to get approval. someone posted saying that they didn't like the zahn trilogy books (which I thought were really good)...people just have different opinions. I guess what I'm saying is...I'm sorry if my opinion upsets you guys that much...but I'm sticking to it. I hope this isn't going to be a significant problem. I haven't even been to a meet yet and I would like to go without having to worry about being beaten with a boston rebels sign (that is if the invite is still open):eek:P

24. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    I don't think anyone's objecting to you having an opinion. At least, I hope not! Every fan group will have it's differences of opinion on things.
    I have to agree with GA Reese, Natalie and TK. The PT is SW "from a certain point of view"
    The PT is waaaay different than OT. I didn't really like TPM after the first viewing. The only thing that felt SW was the final battle.
    But after watching it a few more times, I see where my dislike came from:
    This is not OT. It's another time completely. The galaxy is more civilized and the heroes aren't a ragtag group of rebels. Things can be more formal, the universe doesn't have that dirty lived-in look as much.
    It's almost like watching a historical documentary in a way.
    I always suggest to the PT dislikers to try reading the PT novels. They do a much better job plot-wise than the movies, lots more character moments.

25. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    The invite is still open Mara! Don't worry about them bashing you. I remember when there were like 5 members on this board and we would have arguments over which movie in the OT was the best and they'd bash me for days. But I new it was all in good fun. SO don't worry about it.

btw- the Boston Rebels sign in made of one peice of computer paper :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.