main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Tickets Going on Sale during Convention?!?!

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by mgmcpa, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlderaanOnline

AlderaanOnline Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    I spoke to a local manager at a Cinemark theatre today and this is what he told me for what it's worth.

He said that tickets would go on sale no earlier than Monday, May the 13th because they won't find out until May the 12th whether or not they will be getting it for sure.

I'm not sure I buy this though. Seems awfully late to find out whether or not your receiving a print. Also, when TPM came out this same theatre sold tickets the week before not 3 days before like they are saying for AOC.

2. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    "Seems awfully late to find out whether or not your receiving a print."

Not really, at least for Star Wars. Theatres have to comply with some rigid requirements. For Episode I, they had to send back copies of the trailer if they wanted to see the movie. If what the Cinemark rep told you is true, then they may be aiming for the longest run of the trailer(s) in theatres that is possible and waiting till the last minute to approve this. We'll just have to wait and see.

Let's not forget that Star Wars usually doesn't get totally finished until just a few weeks prior to the film's release.
    As far as your Cinemark manager's statement goes:
    I don't know how Cinemark works, but I doubt they have vastly different practices from other major chains. With Carmike, we just talk to corperate. The local manager has little real power and is usually the last person to know.
    Thus far both Carmike Corperate and the LucasFilm publicity rep that we have spoken to are telling us that there's nothing definate as of yet, but we haven't spoken to anyone since Tuesday, who knows what could have transpired. And LFL and Carmike just might be lying to the guys that call.

3. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Ok, thanks mgmcpa!

4. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    Don't panic. Not yet, anyway!

Keep in mind that many theatres (and theatre chains) sell tickets online and over the phone. I used to buy tickets at AMC theatres by phone all the time (until they jacked up the service fee).

If you're going to be in Indy the entire weekend and tickets do go on sale, make some calls before you leave to find a theatre near you that sells tix online or via telephone. (It could also be the least stressful way of doing it!)

:)

5. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    If you have been dealing personally with management of the Theater you are lining up at and getting them publicity and all, see if the Manager might be willing to let your Fan Force Chapter purchase a block of tickets before the box office opens. You just tell them how many for the premiere and hand them the cash at that time. It can't hurt to ask. What's the worst they can say, "NO"? LOL everyone! :)

BTW, if tickets do go on sale during CB2, McCullum is permanently on my **** list. :p

6. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    I have a feeling he's not the one in charge of that. Isn't it 20th Century Fox?

Anyway, I'm not worrying about it yet.

:)

7. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Any Indy residents know of any cybercafes near the Dome? I'm not aware of any internet access facilites within the Dome or in nearby hotels. Might come in useful.

8. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I can't imagine them selling tickets on May 3 not only because of Celebration II. That is the day Spider-Man comes out. Theaters are going to be busy enough as it is.

9. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Someone on the Pittsburgh board claims that Loews will be selling tickets on May 3rd. Call your local Loews theater and ask them if they have heard anything about that.

10. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I talked with AMC theatres and they haven't been released to get the film.They are saying that will be listed by Wednesday afternoon for what goes on sale the following week.Lucas hasn't even told which theatres can have the film or how many copies.I am going to the SWCII and would hate to miss it.I am also being told that you will not be able to buy them online or over the phone.In Michigan they will giving out wrist bands.SOOOOOOOOOO>Surely we won't have to miss ticket sale because we are at the celebration???PEACE Ewen

11. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Thats promissing news

12. K3-PO

K3-PO Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    Any latest news?

13. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    3 hours ago the Orlando (Disney) AMC staff told me tickets will definitely be going on sale on Friday 3 May for their theatre. They do not know what time it will start but as far as they were told they would not be sold on this day online. Disappointing.

14. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! They can't do that to us!

15. Theman357

Theman357 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2002
    Why hasn't there been some kind of official conformation on any of this? I mean, for TPM, it was well-publicized when the tickets would go on sale. There were lines everywhere on the same day with fans waiting to buy tickets. You knew the date many days in advance.

Yet, here we are on May 1 and we have some people saying tickets go on sale on May 3 and other people saying it will be later than that. Then you throw in Celebration II and Spiderman's release and it really becomes odd.

I have a buddy who works at a local theater in town (Northern Kentucky). He's not even sure the theater is going to get SW: AOTC and his managers don't know if they're going to get it, let alone when they'll sell tickets.

So, I repeat my original question. Why no official conformation? For one thing, theater owners aren't dumb. They're in the business to make money and you don't make money by not advertising when you're going to sell tickets. I also would assume that theaters would be released to sell tickets on the same date so one theater doesn't have any advantage over another. None of this makes sense, and it makes me worry if I'll get to see Attack of the Clones on opening night at all. That was the highlight of TPM for me.

16. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    /\
    I agree with you.
    This is really starting to tick me off. :mad:

17. MaximusVader

MaximusVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    I truly don't understand why everyone is freaking the hell out over this. First of all, there is NO WAY IN HELL that theaters are going to be selling tickets for AOTC the SAME weekend as Spider-Man. No....way. I worked in theaters for six years...this will not happen. If it does, then there will be snow falling in the pit of hell.

Tickets went on sale for TPM one week before the movie came out. This will likely be the case this time out as well, making the date somewhere in the week after everyone is well settled back from the Celebration.

Calm down...if you want tickets to opening night, you will get them. This is not something to be freaking about. If theaters were gonna be selling tickets this weekend, you would have heard about it by now. So just enjow the Celebration and take the opportunity to ask ol' Rick if he knows anything about the situation.......if he isn't drunk.

18. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    ::starts freaking out::

19. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Better start polishing up that snowboard for your vacation to Hades, MaximusVader.

According to TFN, it is now confirmed that advance ticket sales begin Friday. Fox will let the theaters know tommorrow who will be hosting AOTC.

Sorry, but it seems some of you Celebration guys are screwed.

20. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    /\
    That totally ******* sucks!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

21. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    This really stinks for those of us going to the Celebration. 30,000 of the biggest Star Wars fans will be in Indianapolis, away from home, and unable to personally get tickets. I'll probably luck out, since my local theater didn't start selling Episode 1 tickets until the morning it came out.

22. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    I just got off the phone with my local AMC theater and they're going to start selling them on May ******* 3rd!!! :mad:But they are going to sell them through the phone so I can tell my friend to buy them.
    Unfortunately he's a flake and he's bound to forget. :mad:

******* stupid ******* people!!! I swear I could just rip off their ******* heads and **** down their ******* necks!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

23. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I know it sucks. But its not LFL's fault. Blame 20th Century Fox.

But you do have alternatives.

For those who don't have a Friday pass, you can pick your tickets up Friday and then head to Indy on Saturday.

If that's not an option, you can see if your theater will be offering online advances and phone sales. Some of them already are. Hopefully, you can find a way of ordering them online, or at least by phone.

If worse comes to worse, you can always beg someone to pick them up for you.

24. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    We are getting two separate reports...some say theaters say May 3 and others say May 9

A May 3 is really poor business strategy but not all the suprising.

25. mgmcpa

mgmcpa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2001
    Hey,

Well, I started this posting and unfortunately, facts remain the same. San Jose AMC Mercado Manager says Friday. No phone sales for them, only in person and on-line. They are just waiting to learn of the approved showtimes and then they will go on sale.

I am so mad, they will hear about this at Celebration!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.