main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Are the OT cast too old now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I'd really like to see Hamill back as (elder wizened Jedi Master) Luke, as for the rest of the original cast, I don't know... depends on how it was done.

2. -SummerMendocino-

-SummerMendocino- Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2004
    Looks like we're all coming out of the woodwork aren't we? :p I haven't been in here in like...7 years!! :eek:

The only I actor I believe would give a great performance is Mark Hamill. He needs to get back in shape, but he would still be a GREAT Luke Skywalker.

Harrison Ford sucks as an actor these days. He does. He's an ass and his current roles and movies suck. His last Indy movie absolutely sucked and felt nothing like an Indy movie and he didn't really seem like Indy anymore.

Carrie, she's too loopy to hold a dramatic role these days too. Her brain is too far gone.

So overall...not a good idea. :)

-SummerMendocino-

3. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope they can get at least Hamill to come back. He seems to be the most likely to want to come back.

4. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    None of them are too old... if the writers have them in mind for Episode VII then their current age will fit the time frame accordingly. I can see them pulling a "Dallas" and have the original generation with some new young blood to carry the series and be the main focal point.

5. JediChris99

JediChris99 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think they're too old to appear as major characters in Episode 7. Initially I had no desire to see a new series featuring the original cast. I felt that story ended when Vader died, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea. My question is: is it possible for them to commit to a 10-year trilogy project? Or does Disney plan to accelerate the new series? Lucas always released his films every three years, but I understand that was mainly (in the case of the prequels) a tradition more than a technological necessity. Perhaps Disney will green light the new trilogy with the films to be released every two years.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They're the perfect age for where the character are in the EU right now

Jobertus likes this.
  7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I think Ford was the least of Crystal Skull's problems. I for one found the ol' curmudgeon very effective in the part. He's aged, the character has aged, the film itself left a lot to be desired, but none of that means Ford himself "sucks" as an actor. Whether he would do it is another question entirely.

Carrie Fisher is not "loopy" nor is her "brain too far gone". Did you catch the Lucas roast a couple of years ago? She was in fine form, as sharp-witted as ever. I'm afraid you're talking out of your proverbial hat here.

8. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Well I disagree. The Original films where great for their time, but now they just don't cut it.
    Hell, even the final duel in ROTJ is a joke. You can tell vader just gets on his knees, and lets luke cut his hand off.
    I think they should make remade, but then again that's just my opinion. The are relics, but thats all they are.
    T

9. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    If they need them to look younger, they can always de-age them with CGI like Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy. I know some people had problems with that (I personally didn't), but the technology has had several years to develop.

If they can't get any of the actors to come back (I hope Disney is willing to throw around the kind of money to get Ford interested), they shouldn't recast them, but rather find some way to not include them in the film.

10. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I think they are all too old. I personally hope to see a new group of Jedi, maybe a cameo of them here and there. I personally could care less if the original cast was in it or not. If any of them are, they better have a few prequel characters too, nothing major though, seeing that most of them are dead.! Any ways, what ever happened to Quilian Vos?

11. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Much as I love Mark Hamill, he really hasn't aged well. Depending on the setting of the story, though, I could see them maybe bringing him in as a supporting role, playing the old and venerable Jedi Master, in the same vein as the original Obi-Wan or even Yoda. They'd need to touch him up a bit in post production though.

He's the only one I could see doing it though. I really don't think Harrison or Carrie could quite recapture everything we loved about Han and Leia again.

12. Rodimus1980

Rodimus1980 Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2009
    Director's aren't exactly knocking on Harrison Ford's door anymore so I see him being open to the possibility no matter what he says. Carrie Fisher too. Mark Hamill is obvious since he is Luke Skywalker and his age will help the role. I don't think Harrison and Carrie are too old. But I also don't think they should be the stars. Let a new generation take that role and have them in the mentor roles.

13. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Why is 70 too old? Alec Guinness was 63 I believe...

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mark Hamill will be 63 in 2015, I think. He has a few years to get back into shape.

Ford is in shape.

Fisher has gotten back into shape.

15. Darth Vito Corleone

Darth Vito Corleone Jedi Master star 1

Jun 6, 2000
    Well this is the first time in several years that I have posted on this forum. Nice to have a reason to again. Let me say this. Harrison Ford will NEVER NEVER NEVER agree to take part in this. He wanted to be killed of in ROTJ.

I really hope that Mark is in it if they do it right. I really hope that C3PO and R2D2 aren't in it, unless it is for story telling purposes. Their presence in the prequels was an underrated reason for why the movies were problematic. They were there simply to be C3PO and R2D2. Didn't work.

16. Darth Vito Corleone

Darth Vito Corleone Jedi Master star 1

Jun 6, 2000
    As for Mark, he could serve the same purpose in the first movie that Nimoy played in the last Star Trek (did I just violate a code by mentioning Star Trek?), which was to pass the torch in a way that fans will accept.

17. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It won't work.
    Sure they fit the age in the later EU story, but tons of stuff happened between RotJ to FotJ, a lot of explanation would be required which the movie could not do.

18. Luke_Landwalker

Luke_Landwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    It all depends how fall along the new trillogy is set. The PT and OT is like 19 years and 3 years after that is RotJ. So another 19 years Luke would be in his mid 40s. So yeah at that point the OT cast would be to old.

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    People claiming the actors are too old seem to be under the impression that the producers would be trying to shoehorn them into playing 30-something action-adventure heroes. Granted, they're too old for that, all of 'em. There's this thing called physics and biochemistry. But what they're not too old to play are 60-somethings in charge of the New Republic, with diminished participation in action-adventure scenarios.

20. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Well Luke will surely be too old to play a 30 something. maybe give the scepter to his son :p

In any case I think they are if the story is to be told directly after the OT time wise too old. I am very much in doubt that either carrie fisher or harrison ford have any interest in playing a role in Star Wars again.

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ford won't do it, so that's out. Fisher might but probably wouldn't. Hamill would, but we'll see if they want him to and if he can get in reasonable enough shape to seem like a Jedi.

Daniels doesn't necessarily need to be in the suit to be Threepio's voice. I would like to see Threepio and Artoo return. Other than that, I can take it or leave it, with a preference slightly leaning towards "leave it."

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Ford won't do it, so that's out.

You don't know that and should not make declarations of opinion as though they are fact.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Not too old at all.

Ian and Christopher both had major roles and action sequences in AotC and RotS.

24. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Ha! Same here. Can't remember the last time I was here.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, you should preface every opinion with "IN MY HUMBLE OPINION" so that we know you're not stating a fact.