main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atmospheric dogfight over Geonosis

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Damillster, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    From the OS databank:

Small wedge-shaped one-man starfighters, these vessels were used by the Jedi order in the waning days of the Galactic Republic. While the ship does employ weapons, most Jedi pilots preferred to rely on their cunning and attunement to the Force to avoid disputes and aggression.

Weapons are a last resort. I'm confident that Obi-Wan won't be shooting at Slave 1. Whether Jedi starfighters use weaponry in the aerial battle is up for grabs. Perhaps the Jedi will take advantage of the rugged terrain of Geonesis to vaporize their opponents.

2. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well avoiding conflict when possible is always the Jedi policy but it doesn't always work out that way.

3. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    "I don't know anything about the lego fighter, but the new Hasbro line of Jedi Starighters transforms. It's sidesslide inward and on each end of the wings two more little wings separate like on an X-wing."

Yeah...that's what I was talking about!

The ships WILL have firepower...they WILL blast the droid ships...and there will be Jedi piloting them. This whole 'jedi don't stike' idea has been misunderstood.

Let's get back to talking about the dogfight, itself....

4. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Isn't it possible that most of the combat will be between the Gunships and the Droid fighters? Perhaps the Gunships have to shoot their way to a landing point close to the arena?

I think Lucas may have this scene play out much like old WWII films, where gunners in bomber aircraft fought off attacking fighters.

He may be taking the opportunity to re-visit one of his favourite scenes from ANH, where Luke and Han fend off TIE fighters by manning the Falcon's gun turrets (which the Gunships certainly have in abundance).

5. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I certainly hope it's true. Two huge battles that they can capture in the same shot, one in the air and one on the ground. This has the possiblility of looking amazing.

6. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    I have heard gunships, droidfighters, and Jedifighters...so, the scenario you propose is very likely.

7. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Has anyone noticed this before? It appears that Obi-Wan's ship has taken some serious hits from Slave one.

8. Echo_Base

Echo_Base Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    A recent insider has scans of the Geonosian Aerial Attack Craft. As do a few people on here... ;)

This aerial battle promises to be one of the best sequences in SW history! It involves Jedi Starfighters, Clone Gunships, Geonosian Aerial Attack Craft and TF Droid fighters. The TF battleship is indeed grounded when Ki, Plo and a small band of Jedi attack it. Plo is wounded in the assault, I believe...

Bottom line? To Ternian, Crazy Old Jedi and toochilled do you listen!

9. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Any ideas as to what the Geonosian Aerial Attack Craft looks like?

10. Thodge

Thodge Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2001
    What about the 'sphere-like' ships, would they be part of this huge sequence?

11. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Jedi Starfighter only transforms into attack mode...in just the LEGO toy. If the Jurassic Park toys are any indication--where the action figures of Sam Neil and Jeff Goldblum's characters had guns, the manufacturers add special features to the toys that aren't in the movie.

Kinda like that Qui-Gon figure where he's wearing the Padawan jumpsuit worn by Anakin in AOTC :)

12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Its the hasbro toys that the transformation is really evident in. There is some evidence that shows that the Lego ones transform as well (hinge legos near the base of the wings). So if it is truly just to sell toys it seems odd that both would transform in the same way.

13. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    TK327 oh ok. I thought you meant it turning into attack formation was sad as opposed to the Jedi having to fight.
    I haven't heard anything about Jedi Starfighters in the battle. I heard gunships and droid fighters.
    And I could've sworn someone posted a pic of clone troopers atatcking an advancing (walking) droid fighter.

14. Jaden

Jaden Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2001
    I don't know, it seems unlikely to me that it would be Jedi Starfighters vs Droid fighters. It would seem more realistic if it were actual Republic pilots, perhaps clones themselves in fighers.

Whatever the case, I'm almost certain we'll see some kind of dogfight. GL won't be content with only one major battle going on. He'll most likely stick to his rule of three - dogfight, arena, Droid Control Ship.

But we'll have to see.

15. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    He'll most likely stick to his rule of three - dogfight, arena, Droid Control Ship.

You forgot the lightsaber duel inside the sail ship's hangar [face_plain]

16. Echo_Base

May 15, 2001
    They wanted to have everything focused on the battle of Geonosis cos they felt the end battles of TPM felt too spread out. Here, everyones focus will be on what is happening in, around and above the arena. As Mace ghosts Jango, above them will be Jedi Starfighters and Droid TF fighters wheeling through the sky blowing the heck out of each other.
    Oh, and dont forget Slave 1.... ;)

17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    From what I have heard;

Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme are in a Gunship which flies over the battlefield on the plains outside the Arena. A massive Land and Air battle is taking place which involves Gunships, Jedi Fighters, Droid Fighters and Geonosian fighters. On the Ground I suspect (strongly ;) ) that there may be other types of vehicles involved (speeders, bikes, etc.) as well as walking TF droidfighters.

There are parked TF droid control ships, these are the ones that Ki-Adi Mundi, etc. attack although I know next to nothing about the timing, etc. of this scene.

There is a scene where the sphere ships depart Geonosis from thier underground Silos but I think this might be what Obi-Wan witnesses through his macro-binoculars earlier in the Movie.

Interesting comment from Echo_Base regarding the Geonosian Aerial Attack Craft. I knew there would be some kind of Geonosian craft but didn't know thier Official title, those scans sound interesting ;) .

As regards the Jedi Fighter, I assume that the different config is for when it is attached to the Hyperspace Booster Ring. The attachments on the end of the wings look more like couplings than some type of S-Foil.

18. 2002

2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2001
    yes yes aerial dogfighting there will be. jedi starfighters, TF droidfighters, geonosisian fighters, with clone gunships all involved. this does happen while anakin, obi-wan and padme are tryin to stay alive down in the arena and plo and ki-adi are in the middle of their mission, as far as i know.

as for the "sphere like ships" those are the droid control ships that are based on around geonosis on the ground with only the top of their domes surfacing above ground. i'm not really sure what part they play but i'm assumin if htey are involved in the battle they are mounted with twin blasters on top and are firin at the clone transports and jedi fighters during the assault. they also all start fleein the planet in mass once they see that this battle is a certain lose and spread throughout the galaxy.

19. darth maze

darth maze Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 1999
    If the Jedi are piloting their fighters I don't think they will have any problems firing on the droid fighters. If the fire first or second it doesn't matter. There are no people in those ships, the ship is a droid itself. They had no problems slicing them up in TPM. Plus, the Jedi are sent there to fight. If there was no threat of conflict, or if two of their own (plus a senator they have sworn to protect) was not captured and about to be executed, then we could discuss if it would be right for them to fire first or not.

20. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    This is AWESOME!

I'd love to see what the 'Geonosian Aerial Attack Craft' looks like.

I'm sure that if someone had that scan...and they posted it here...and then 'edited' it out within the allotted time...nobody would get hurt.

Right? :)

21. Echo_Base

May 15, 2001
    2002, I forgot to add you to my list of people to watch!
    I now know the report about Boba killing Padawans guarding Slave 1 is bogus. But I have heard the Slave1 is involved in the battle somehow. Is this BS too?

22. 2002

2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2001
    thats cool echo_base...just as long as people dont think i make stuff up outta thin air then i'm cool.

as for slave 1 in the battle...i havent heard anything on it. it depends i guess really on what time boba comes into play. i mean he does land the slave 1 into the arena. so boba could potentially be flyin around blastin peeps on his own. then when things calm down he lands the ship in the arena and finds his beheaded dad. but thats just some speculation on my part. i'm not sure in the slightest.

23. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Won't part of the battle involve trying to stop the TF battleships from leaving. They're going to be carrying droids to far corners of the galaxy, right? The Jedi must fail in this objective?

Edit: There is a painting of walking droid fighters and clonetroopers on the cover of the upcoming Art of AotC book.

24. BISMARCK

BISMARCK Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2001
    Boba flies the Slave 1 into the arena [face_shocked] ?! Walking droid fighters fighting on the ground [face_shocked] ?! Geonosian fighters [face_shocked] ?! I'm gonna crap me pants watching this movie.

25. Echo_Base

May 15, 2001
    Bismarck, trust us, in 6 months youll be going, WETA who?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.