main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD [Bad News] I'm stepping down

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    This is a really difficult post to make, but... :(

I'm stepping down as moderator of the RPF. It won't happen immediately - it depends on how long it takes to find a new mod to replace me (more on that later) - but it will be soon, probably around August or so.

I've thought about this long and hard because it's not an easy decision, and there are a lot of factors involved, but ultimately comes down to this: I don't have enough time. As you guys know I started working full-time some time ago, and it turns out my employer has a well-deserved reputation for being demanding. (Those of you in the AIM rpfchat are probably sick of me whining about how much work I've got.) Mind you I really enjoy what I'm doing, so it's not all bad, but it does mean that I have very little free time to do other stuff like run Awards, organise contests, keep up with happenings, edit out profanity, and doing all the other miscellaneous little things that are involved in keeping the RPF running smoothly.

You could say I can sneak online at work, and I have been, but that's not really a good thing for obvious reasons and anyway it's not enough. I'm sort of a perfectionist in that I don't like to do anything I'm not doing properly, and right now I'm not modding properly. Hell, I don't even really know what you guys are up to nowadays - I know you're doing awesome stuff, and that's awesome! But I have no idea what, exactly, you're doing - not any more. I don't have the time or energy to even skim the threads. That's not cool.

(As an aside: this isn't related to the 3-week break I just took, although that did kind of drive it home for me - it's something that I've been thinking over for longer than that.)

So I'm stepping down. It's not fair to you guys for me to stick on when I know I can't do it any more.

It has been an honour and a pleasure to be your moderator for the last two years. When I took this gig I hoped to be a great mod, because that's what you all deserve: whether I succeeded or not is up to you guys to decide, but I did my best, and I hope I'm leaving the RPF in a better state than when I started.

Cheers, guys; you are all awesome. Be good for Peng and the new mod, whoever he/she may be.

Now the next part, which you are all undoubtedly more interested in: who's gonna be the next RPF Moderator?

Peng and I have been talking about this, and we've got some people in mind, but we were hoping you guys would help us out.

For the next week or so, we want your thoughts regarding who you think would be a good mod. Tell us [b]over PM[/b] who you're thinking of, and why. We guarantee nothing - suggesting a person does not mean we'll put their name forward for consideration by the MS, and the person we ultimately choose might not be among those suggested. This is just a sort of survey. But it [i]is[/i] an important survey, and we will be reading over your suggestions and taking them seriously, so send them in.

PM your suggestions to me or Peng - no posting names in-thread, please.

Some things to consider:

(1) Please don't suggest yourself. It just looks bad.
    (2) Please don't browbeat other people into suggesting you either - whether over PM/IM or publicly. Unlike the Awards, where we kind of turn a blind eye to campaigning as long as it's not obvious, we really don't want this to happen here. If we find out you're doing behind-the-scenes shenanigans it will reflect very badly on you.
    --- (Obviously, feel free to discuss among yourselves who you think will be good. We trust you know the difference between discussing and campaigning.)
    (3) Remember to tell us [i]why[/i] you think someone would be good. "Please promote UserA thanks" is not helpful.
    (4) [b]PM suggestions only.[/b] Can't say this often enough. We don't want this turning into a public popularity contest (or slugfest) so we'll be enforcing this quite strongly.

[hr]
    And this isn't goodbye. I'm not leaving the boards - in fact, you might even be seeing me around more, because I'll have more time to play games. Hell, after I officially step down, I might even have the tim

2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Aaaaah. One of the Greatest retires. I´ll use the personally least used smiley especially for you Xany: [:D]

3. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Sad news for our boards, but totally understanding your rasoning. You did an amazing job, Xany!

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

4. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    Awww.... at least you're not leaving us completely, Xany. You will be hard to replace.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE

Did not see that one coming. Still, you've done good work Xan.=D=

6. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    You served us well, lass. *Here's to you and your new job*

-b

7. Dinkus_Mayhem

Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2006
    You were a great modmess, definately one who will be missed. Hope you still have time to stick around and hop in a game or two.

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, you just answered my question about whether you'll be sticking around, so yay!

Thanks for all your time and the hard work you've put into this place, Xani! You really stayed on top of things and knew how to keep things new and fresh!

And this also means that I'll be the last remaining member of Hammer's Angels with mod powers. :(

9. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    :_|

Well at least you'll still be around to play sometime...

So I guess it isn't all bad :(

10. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    Well, thanks for the nice welcome you gave me. I appreciated it. And we´ll always have Sharon, that little traitor!

See you in the games then, Xany!

11. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Awwwww this is really sad. You were a great MOD Xany. Thank you for time and service. The RPF is better because of it.[:D]

12. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    :(

Xani - obviously I completely understand your situation and how you feel since I just went through this. I applaud you in making this decision and I feel that not enough mods do this. You've been wonderful and I hope your involvement picks up when you no longer feel obligated to do certain things through MS.

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Dawwwww....

who's gonna watch my back now? :_| :p

[:D]

14. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    [face_skull]

-B

15. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Aw, hell.

Many happy returns anyway, Xan: you've been a worthy moddess. :) @};-

16. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Part of greatness is knowing when to step away. Kudos to you for all the hard work and glad to hear you won't be a stranger!

17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sorry that your other committments are making you step away from the role.

You have been a very approachable mod, and my first port of call many times.

In my opinion though, thanks to your software or algorithm skills, your influence and service to the Boards have already taken you beyond that of most on the Mod Squad, and you are certainly within touching distance of the likes of Zerosleep (the only name I can remember for the technical behind-the-scenes aspect of TFN).

=D=

Very glad that, unlike your immediate predecessors, this is not a goodbye.

18. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Ah, dear Moderatrix!!!!

We shall miss you as our mod...

but glad that you will stick around to play with us some more!! :D

19. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt!!??? Xany! [voice_vader]"NOOOOOOOO!!"[/voice] :( :_|

Boo! I'm not sure what to feel, but..I'm happy for ya. Trust me, I understand and wish you the very best, always. :)

[face_peace]

[voice_threepio]"We're doomed."[/voice]

20. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Just noticed this.

:(

21. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Oh my. I just now realized what everybody meant when they said you "step down" . . . Xany, we agreed for the very first time on anything and you just . . . leave me hanging???

[face_laugh]

Serious. I regret this. It might not always having looked that way and I know, I know we had our differences (which were quite a few times provoked by me) but you always were my favourite Mod. Of those I have seen here all did a good job (yes ALL!), but you brought a special something to it that made me feel as if this was now . . . my RPF. Not just the board my games happen to be on.

Therefore, I am glad you will play more and glad you were our Mod in my final months here. Won´t be the same without you. But I am delighted to see you in Sins of the Sons!

Have a good last few days with all this power. You´ll miss it eventually.

22. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. [:D]

So the process of getting a new mod is now in full gear! We got quite a few suggestions from you guys, and we've definitely taken them into consideration when it came to picking our candidates. I won't tell you guys to refrain from speculating on who they are - I think that is inevitable :p - but please avoid making proclamations like "This person is definitely going to be the next mod!" I've heard quite a few of these in the last few days (referring to different people, too...) and it only hurts the person you're talking about (if they don't end up getting picked, they have to deal with the disappointment) and the person who eventually gets promoted (if they're not the person who was built up, they have to deal with the community's disappointment, which is worse). And I'd even say it cheapens the achievement if they do make it, because then it's like, "oh they were a shoe-in for the job, what else is new?"

(Don't believe anyone who makes such proclamations, either. Nobody knows for sure yet who it's gonna be, mods included. We wouldn't still be talking about it if we did.)

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Bump!

Once again, folks - a big thank-you to Xani for everything she's done here. She's been beyond excellent as a Mod - Ramza and I have big shoes to fill.

[:D]

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Indeed, thanks a bunch for all your hard work Xan.

[image=http://www.slashgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ghostbustersending.jpg]

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.