main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Barriss Offee's Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by picciami, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I do believe I have finished the buckle and that put the finishing touches on the costume. If you can post it for me ,SWC. then perhaps there will be some feedback from others as well.

2. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Wow, look at all these Barrisses (Barrii?)

They look fantastic everyone!

3. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I don't have a website to post my photo either...

well....since all of the photos I saw of the belt ....it looked brown...so mine is brown...
    it even has the feature where the strap of the belt wraps all the way to the side.....that is the way I have seen the belt in side shots...
    as far as my so far "un-adorned" buckle - it is leather sewed over a Tandy buckle blank...

and it will be amazing to see all the Barriss'....It will certainly be nice to see all of them live and in person...photos really play havoc with color etc...

4. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    If you have a picture on your computer, you could send it to me and I can host it for you. My email is in my profile if you're interested. :)

5. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    And here's qingauk's belt buckle:

Clickie! :)

6. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    That looks very very nice! :D

7. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Double post, a well:
    My thoughts on the make-up: Instead of cream make-up, I bought an Indian colored (like SWchick said) face powder and put it over a layer of brown foundation (felt more natural on my skin). I blushed my cheeks with green eye shadow, to still give it a greenish look, but that didn?t turn out so well (you didn?t saw it). For the diamonds and lips I just used black eyeliner. I bought black/purple lipstick, but when I putted it on, it turned green :( . For my eyes I used the black eyeliner again and a little golden-cream eye shadow.
    If you look at this pic : http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/c/luminara/marynalini.jpg you can see it a little bit on Barriss her eyes. Note that Luminara also got a lighter eye shadow then her skin :).
    By coincidence Nalini was a guest at the convention I was going to and although I thought Barriss had a Indian colored skin Nalini said that my color skin should be a little more greenish, lol, *back to the drawing boards* . Hope this experience helps :D

8. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    There is a green tinge to her complexion. You could probably blend a greenish makeup with what you already bought and get a good result. Some people have used the green-colored concealers made by Physician's Formula. Above, qingauk said she used Ben Nye makeup in Sallow Green.

I'm probably going to skip out on that step because I don't think I want to deal with heavy makeup for more than one day of C3. I'm doing an Asajj Ventress costume, and you can't get a whole lot more makeup intensive than that. ;) I'm happy enough with my olive skin tone. Sometime after the 19th I'll be able to post makeup tests for both costumes, as well as my completed Barriss costume. I have to redo the skirt, make the belt buckle, modify my belt and attach the buckle, pin back the cloak shoulders, and finish the area where the cloak fastens. Sounds like a lot but hopefully it will go quickly as I have 2 more costumes to work on. :)

Speaking of the skirt, it's long been a mystery how exactly it's put together because there are no seams visible in any of the publicly available pictures. We know it's fitting at the top and very full at the bottom. Like I said earlier, I have access to better pictures of this costume (which I can't share explicitly, but I can describe what I know based on them), and after staring at one of the pictures for a very long time, I finally spotted the seams at the bottom. The best I can describe it is that it's constructed similar to McCall's 4717 (the blue one in the picture), except the inserted pieces are a little lower (where the skirt starts to flare out), and the non-insert parts aren't done in pieces - it's one solid piece, presumably with seams on the side. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm going to modify this pattern (unless I find a better one) and report on my success (or lack thereof) when I finish. :) If anyone spots a better pattern for this, please let me know!

9. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Ouch, I will think of you when you have to sit still for 4 hours :p.
    Oke, as soon as you said there were seems on the skirt, I looked on the biggest picture I have of Barriss..and....there are accutally seems on there [face_blush] . You can see them on the promo pic of Barriss I think:

normal promo pic (you can see them if you zoom in):
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/barriss_promo.jpg]

Highlighted the seems:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/barriss_seems.jpg]

10. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Yep, that's exactly where they are! Because the fabric is so dark and shadowy in all the pictures, it was impossible to verify that there were seams there...even in the hi-res pics I have, they're still hard to see. But knowing what to look for makes them easier to see now, thankfully. :)

Thanks for posting that pic with the seams highlighted!

11. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    sigh....curse my bad eyes...lol...I can't see the seams....oh well...my skirt doesnt' have them anyway...I was not able to see them in any of the photos...
    and in the above photo...the belt looks brown again...double sigh....it looks black in some photos...and brown in others...my belt is dark brown...

I have been pouring over the posts here...and the photos again...and it really is enough to make one scream...

The only thing that I found...for sure...is that Barriss has two different sets of tatoos on her face!

In one photo I counted 9 diamonds on each side of the nose and one on the bridge of the nose...then when I looked at another photo...I noticed the pattern was a little different...and sure enough...this second photo showed 10 on the side of the nose and one on the bridge...
    so...it looks like you could go either way...and still be right...

The only thing I know for sure other than the diamonds...is that I don't know anything for sure...

12. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    It is so difficult to make decisions on the colors and the makeup as there are not consistent pictures available. I did see there is a book coming out soon on the costumes by Trisha but of course that will be too late for all of us to get it exact! My belt is black and I still can't see other than dark brown in most of the pictures so perphaps it is black brown and reflecting the light. It seems that all her colors are very dark so having a lighter brown belt does not make sense in my mind but hard to tell. I have black shoes to wear but am contemplating picking up short boots at Salvation army or other consignment shop. They will show when I walk as I am not making it so long to drag in case of rain.
    What are others doing for the boots?

I still need to attach the buckle I made to the original black belt somehow. I was toying with the idea of putting the belt on backwards to buckle in the back out of site and gluing the Barriss buckle onto the front because it is not obvious to me that there is belt overlap. My husband says he does see overlap! so I will let him figure out how to replace the buckle :)

I can't see seams on the skirt and did not use a pattern. Mine is not as full but that was all the fabric of that color I could get. I just measured waist and then to hips circum. down to top of leg on the side and cut the skirt so it was snug to that point and then flared it out like an erlenmeyer flask ! SWC will know what I mean by that! I know there has to be seams in it to get it that full but the dark fabric hides them and that is they way mine is.

13. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I've had this costume for almost 3 years now but never really took any pictures but here's a few finally:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7/detail?.dir=ef43&.dnm=770d.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7/detail?.dir=ef43&.dnm=85f5.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7/detail?.dir=ef43&.dnm=9b9b.jpg&.src=ph

14. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    That looks beautiful iycis. I have a question about your hood (looks great):) Which pattern did you use to make it? Something like this? :
    http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/mccallpattern/shop.cgi?s.item.M4698=x&TI=40020&page=1

15. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Yes that looks very similar to what I used for the pattern minus the ruffles.

16. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Thanks a bunch! :D

17. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Great pictures! Sometime next week I'll have pretty pictures too, I can't wait to finish this costume! :)

18. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    Boots?? What did you use for boots?

19. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    I'm using a pair of black boots that no one will ever see. In the action figure they made her with a pair of tall black boots, about twice the height of mine...but I don't really care, since no one will see mine. Most Jedi wear tall style boots, so you could use that as a guideline.

20. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    iycis: Wow! :eek: Those pics & costume look wonderful!

qingauk: I think any plain black boot would work since, depending on the length of your skirt, only the top part of the foot would show.

I have a question about the head covering. The only thing I really didn't like about the costume last year was that my ears showed under the hood. Looking closer, she has an almost nun-looking covering around her head & face. Has anyone made that part? And, if so, what works best?

(I'm also thinking of getting a black wig so that I can leave the hood down at times - it's hard to see around that thing. [face_blush][face_laugh] And Barriss isn't wearing the cloak and has straight black hair on the cover of MedStar I: Battle Surgeons, so it wouldn't be entirely out of canon, LOL.)

21. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    for the headband under the hood I took some of the extra skirt fabric which is stretchy and cut a piece that was just under head circumference and about 6 inches wide. I sewed it into a cirle to make a headband and it works nicely. Here is my costume. I used a picture of her then put self next to her as comparison.

[image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/jedipadmay/tbbarriss.jpg]

22. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    [image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/jedipadmay/costume1.jpg]
    here is just the costume without cool background.

23. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    That looks fantastic qingauk! Beautifull. How did you do that great looking hood?

24. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    the hood is double layered and along the front edge down to about ear level I put a 6-8" strip of the flexi weave that is used for rug hooking. It is in plastic sheets and looks like plastic screening. It gives it more support than interfacing which I tried first. I inserted in and then tacked it in randomly so it is not sewn tightly. The hood as way too big for my first try and I cut it down a lot.
    I think I matched the cloak fabric pretty closely. My skirt needed to be fuller but I did not have enough fabric.

25. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    yay! just finished my cloak! i didn't double over the hood though, i'll bet that's why i had so much fabric left over, maybe i can still add it....it dosn't look TOO close to the actual, but it's pretty good, if i do say so my self, I will have pictures as soon as i get a long black skirt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.