main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battlestar Galactica-Blood & Chrome-So Say We All

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by nnaydolem, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I never liked Callie, so the Hotdog thing doesnt surprise me or offend me. I cheered when she got airlocked. [face_dancing]

I am EVIL!

2. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    I always felt that the Chief ended up with Callie because she was there. It wasn't ever a real love match, but it was kind of like 'eveyone else is pairing up and having kids, so maybe we should to' thing. I think the only reasons they stayed together was because of the baby and the Chief felt responsible for them.

Shaved head Anders made me sad. :p

3. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    I really liked Callie. I was willing to wait and see how they explained the final five. I would have forgiven them the "All Along the Watchtower" nonsense if they'd come up with a good explanation. But the character assassination of Callie made me furious. Jumped the shark, right there.

Here's a woman who 1) broke her would-be rapist's nose, 2) survived the fracas on Kobol, 3) pulled the Jack Ruby on Boomer, 4) helped lead the resistance on New Caprica... And they want me to believe that she'd get so depressed that she'd take her baby into an airlock with the intention of flushing them both? No. Just no.

I'm not angry that they killed her, but here's how I would have written it: Callie discovers her husband is a cylon. She beams him with a monkey wrench. (awesome! you go! appropriate response!) She takes the baby, marches through the corridors...to Admiral Adama's office, intending to inform him that a good chunk of his senior crew are toasters. Tory intercepts, beats her up, flushes her, makes up the suicide story. Callie still dies, but she gets to stay the same kick-ass Callie.

For the last season and a half the writers have just kept pulling this stuff.

4. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    they are good with messing up characters with potential. anyone remember Billy? the first presidential aide? he was set up to be great til the decided to let whiny little Lee have a new love interest.POP hes gone.

5. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Actually it was the opposite. The actor who played Billy had an opportunity to do another series where he would have a bigger part, the producers decided to let him go and decided to have the character die dramatically. Of course the other series didn't pan out so he did other work here and there before getting Knight Rider.

It was only when they had nothing to do with Dee that they had her get together with Apollo.

6. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    He's on Knight Rider?? Although I think I've only seen about 20 minutes total spread over 3 episodes and I can only vaguely remember what he looked like on BSG... He obviously made a HUGE impression on me. [face_mischief]

7. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    I think that would have been out of Callie's character at that point. She was having hallucinations and was asking Doc Cottle for drugs. She didn't like Adama because he was going to shoot her back when Tyrol was leading the Tilium ship in a mutiny against the fleet. She felt like she had no one to turn to. She just wanted to feel something...something real. And Tyrol ending up being a Cylon destroyed what little foundation she had left.

I think because of this revelation, the drug-addled state, and her deep depression, she was contemplating suicide. All she had left was her kid, and even though she wants what's best for her kid and doesn't want to let her go, she didn't trust anybody else with her daughter. (Although in hindsight, she should have trusted Hot Dog, the true baby daddy, with her). So she was contemplating suicide, perhaps not seriously, but she was at an emotionally breaking point and wandered down to the one place she felt sort of safe (the deck) and wanted to think things through.

Enter Tory from Stage left.

Makes sense to me. Very tragic, but true to where her character was at the moment.

8. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    But that's just it. They only established all that in that one single episode. There was no build up. It was out of left field. They decided to kill her off, then scrambled to figure out how to make it work.

I don't think the writers had figured out that the baby was Hot Dog's for that episode. That just smacks of serious retconning since they realized they couldn't have two hybrid babies floating around, since when Chief and Callie had the kid I don't think they'd figured out that Chief was a cylon. They're making it up as they go along.

I'm sorry, I've been venting about this for a year. I'll stop now.

9. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    No, by all means keep it up. I love hearing differnt points of view and seeing things through other people's eyes.

I just sit back for the ride, see what other people say. I like some episodes & I think some are a waste of my time & hope it wasn't for nothing & will lead up to something good.

10. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I just saw the new ep last night --I think it was one of the best in some time. It's nice to see ends getting tied up. And Ellen... wow. I guess she wasn't fibbing when last year at Starfest she said she might be back. :)

11. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    According to Ronald D Moore's podcast, they are making it up as they go along. When they decided that Tyrol was going to be a Cylon, RDM also said that he wanted Hera to be only hybrid baby.

I don't think there's anything wrong with retconning. Heck, it happens all the time in Star Wars. I think the writers may have a good plan, but if they have to fly by the seat of their pants an episode or so every now and then, I'm okay with that. Callie no longer had a place in the show, in their opinion, and so this was their way of both offing her and giving Tyrol, Tory, and other characters, more emotional and dramatic depth.

I would be suspect of any show that has everything mapped out from day one. Or even from season one. They get new and good ideas and include them in the show. I'm sure it happens all the time.

I think we should give BSG some leeway because it's so awesome in so many other ways. I'm willing to forgive episodes and some characters doing things that aren't always "in character." Having 99.5% of their population nuked can get to people and make them do kooky things, I'd suspect.

12. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    True. However, I would also be careful of trusting everything he says as absolute truth. A lot of people are quoting that above statement in reference to other discussions going on right now. But didn't they lie a whole lot about Starbuck's death, saying they really weren't bringing her back? They did it because they wanted to try to get people to think she was really gone. I am sure that they don't hesitate to occasionally lie if they think it will protect some super-duper plot twist.

13. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Can someone please tell me why I cant find Deadlock anywhere for watching? I found a blurb somewhere that Hulu wasnt getting ep 18+ til eight days past original airing date...wth? Am I going to be 8 days behind for the rest of the season? How lame is that?

Anyway, I looked for hours on sunday but gave up out of fear of being accidentally spoiled. Help?

14. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002

they are not online. they want you to watch it. i would see if sci fi channel is reairing it. :(

15. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I asked about this in the Sci Fi forums here, and they said that Hulu and Scifi.com will not air anymore episodes immediately after the air dayte, but 8 days after it's on TV. So we can see last week's episode this Saturday. Sucks, doesn't it? :mad:

16. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    did you try all the tv sites? I think there is one called fancast.com or .net where I have found they have different episodes from Hulu sometimes. I think there's another one too...

17. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    comcast has them on demand the next day if you have comcast

18. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I don't have cable --that's why the streaming is so critical. I occasionally will go to the apartment clubhouse on Friday nights to watch it --that has cable. ;)

19. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    Its also on Itunes for 1.99

20. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Found it on demand and am halfway through it.

21. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002

Power went out...waiting for ondemand to come back to life. Might have to watch it after work.

22. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    How are you posting if the power went out? :confused:

23. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002

Magic! [face_whistling]

It was only off for a minute, but it took ondemand twenty minutes to reload. Still got to finish before work.

wow. I cried.

24. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    I must say that kidnapping Hera...again...had better turn into some frakking good television or I am going to be very very peeved. Maybe its because she's Beans age, but I really get upset when shes dying/missing/kidnapped. Ugh.

25. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    I'm sure that was a sedative that boomer gave her, but she's still going to be banged up...

I can't decide, was there ever a piano player at the beginning or was it all in Starbuck's head? I think the 'notes' Hera drew are really stars and will lead them to a place to live. After they get Hera back I hope. ;)