main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Best Spinoff Ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Jabba and his gangster lifestyle.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  3. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    1) Kenobi between ROTS and ANH, perfect for Ewan's current age, and allowing for Force Ghosting by Jinn with elements of 'remote Yoda-casting' from Dagobah, plus elements of the back story of a young Luke and Leia.
    2) Yoda, who at 800 years old allows for the exploration of much pre-TPM history (to perhaps even touch upon his relationship with a younger Dooku, the Sith master/apprentice dynamic between Plagueis and Palpatine or the various exploits of Windu).
    3) Palpatine, his seduction and apprenticeship to Plagueis, his murder of his master and his plotting against the Jedi Council and the apprenticeship of Maul all pre-TPM, of course.

4. Darth Vito

Darth Vito Jedi Padawan

Dec 1, 2012
    A Yoda film (maybe even 2 or 3) could be phenomenal if done well. It would obviously be set well before TPM, and involve the inner workings of the Jedi Order/Council as a central element. My only concern is that the story needs to be original enough to justify a standalone film. It can't just be a simple origin story or happy-go-lucky adventure. It needs to have some deep philosophical themes and character development. Might be interesting for the story to include a younger Dooku, when he was still a Jedi Knight.

I'm on the fence about how deep Yoda's origins should be explained. Part of me loves the mystery, and I think it would be easy to mess up and fail to do his homeworld or species justice. Maybe not knowing is part of what makes Yoda such a great character. But on the other hand, I know so many fans (myself included) who have a strong curiosity about it. Maybe the writers could compromise and just give the audience a tiny glimpse of where Yoda came from.

5. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    What is with all the obsession with spin-offs?

6. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
  7. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Plo Koon & Kit Fisto team up for a very important mission between AOTC & ROTS.

Would be nice to show that not everything important during The Clone Wars revolved around Anakin & Obi Wan.

Potential antagonist include Grievous, Ventress, and Cad Bane, but Christopher Lee is getting too old to play Dooku.

8. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    Nah, that's what make-up people are for. 30 year olds always play dumb teens in horror movies and teen comedies so it shouldn't be too hard to pull off-not like Hayden's been real busy lately

9. Darth JSlom

Darth JSlom Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2012
    Old republic. A trilogy for tenebrus (however you spell it lol), plageuis, palpatine, maul, with maybe a cameo by a younger dooku and quigon. There can also be a dark times trilogy (give sam witwer a chance to flourish on camera). Id love to see a movie or two about obi wan training Anakin. A trilogy might be much for that. I don't wish for it to happen and i hope it doesn't, but if the sequels flop big time they might have to stay making something they know the fans like. Like a plot to a movie backed by a best selling game or book.

10. Darth JSlom

Darth JSlom Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2012
    Wow i totally ended up chopping half my post and accidentally deleted it before i posted that. I'll get back to my rant after i get some sleep. Lol

11. Air Jedi

Feb 1, 2013
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This must happen.

Lord Optimus and Air Jedi like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dammit.

"I would love to see Tales Of The Jedi on the big screen but it has to have a look like Chris Gossett and Janine Johnson gave it, not to mention the cover art of Dave Dorman. "

I accidentally posted that in the "worst" ideas thread. :oops:

But yes, TOTJ would be great.

black_saber likes this.
  14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Yes, I think a Darth Plagueis the Wise movie will be the first Sith standalone film.

15. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I'll just leave this here... Is my argument for a KOTOR era movie:

1. IT FREES THE WRITERS FROM HAVING TO CONNECT WITH OR RETCON ANY PREVIOUS STORY

There's more than 30,000 years of Republic History leading up to the times of the PT, and only a sliver of that has been told. A story set in this era would be completely free of any connections, retcons, or forced working-in of characters from previous movies. Also, unlike the Prequels, there's no predetermined ending. Anything can happen. It would essentially be the first time since ANH that we'd be going into a SW movie completely fresh, which brings me to...

2. A TOTALLY NEW VISUAL TONE/A MORE MYTHICAL TAKE ON STAR WARS

Sure, we've already seen through the prequels how much of a difference 30 years can make on how the galaxy looks, but KOTOR could stretch that so, so much further. Perhaps taking some inspiration from Tales of the Jedi, an Old republic era film could have a much more low-tech, almost Medieval style to it while still featuring that classic SW stuff like spaceships and lightsabers and giant cities.

This could extend to the storytelling in addition to the art direction. I imagine a KOTOR film could have a more fantastical, ancient-myth like tone to it, like dusty pages ripped from an ancient holocron* telling of heroic Jedi and battles of old. I could imagine a Lord-of-the-Rings-Like tone working well for these films.

3.LEGIONS OF JEDI AND SITH COEXISTING: A SCARIER SITH EMPIRE, A MORE HEROIC JEDI ORDER

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, what would you think of a sword battle on the scale of the Battle of Pelennor fields... but with lightsabers? This is something that could only truly be done in this era. Palpatines Empire was pretty much just a regular totalitarian empire that just happened to be (secretly) ruled by a Sith. If you asked a regular civilian at that time what a sith was, they probably either wouldn't know or would tell you they were bad guys they learned about in history class.

A true Sith Empire put on screen would be a quite different beast than the Empire of the OT. The relationship between Sith and their military like the one found in SW:TOR would be an interesting contrast to the relationship between the Jedi Order and the Republic. The Sith would openly run the government, and its people would be ruled by fear of the power of the dark side. Sith generals would command battalions of Imperial troopers as well as an infantry of lightsaber-wielding Sith Soldiers. Unlike the cold, lifeless Empire bound by the Rule of Two like Palpatine's, the Sith Empire of the Old Republic era would represent the full, menacing power of the dark side in all of its terrifying glory.

A greater Sith threat would call for a substantially larger Jedi Order to combat it. The Jedi Order seen in the PT is overly-conservative and pacifistic, made decadent by the thousand years of peace they have seen, too immersed in their own religious theology to look outside and notice the threats piling around them . But here's the thing: the Jedi Order couldn't have started out that way. Perhaps a KOTOR film could portray a more heroic Jedi order, one more popular in the face of the Sith threat, drawing more Jedi trainees into their ranks. Lets see some Jedi who aren't afraid to keep the peace in an appropriately aggressive fashion. The Jedi in this era should be the badass Knights we imagined when Alec Guiness talked of them in ANH, rather than chaste, impotent monks. And finally, speaking of Knights....

4. "KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC" IS A CATCHY TITLE

Seriously, it's perfect. It has a nice flow to it, it drums up images of medieval swashbuckling and grand adventure, and most importantly, it forms a pleasant acronym that phonetically works as a word unto itself. Try it. Try saying "Kotor" to yourself a couple times. It works, doesn't it?

Dasan and Darth Archimage like this.
  16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've said it before, but cast my vote for a post-ROTJ Boba Fett picture. While a ett film set before or during the Classic Trilogy has its certain appeal, watching as Boba emerges from the Sarlaac, regains his strength and then consolidates his power in the Outer Rim and the Coruscant Underworld sounds like a premise I'd be very much in favor of. With the added weight of the political intrigue surrounding the genesis of the New Republic, the Imperial remnant and the vacuum created in the underworld as a result of the death of Jabba the Hutt, there would be an awful lot more at stake than just bounty hunting for the writers to draw from in support of a story the length of a feature film.

Just as badly, I really want an Obi-Wan Kenobi western set during his exile on Tatooine. Too many people, I think, have convinced themselves that Kenobi did nothing much more than sit and watch over Luke, when we all know what kind of perils life in the Outer Rim - and Tatooine in particular - can present. Toss in the dangers inherent in keeping his and his charges' identity secret during the very peak of the Jedi Purge years and there is much room for tension. Almost more than any other actor (almost - Mark Hamill as Luke takes the title), I'm just yearning to see Ewan McGregor reprise his role as Obi-Wan.

There's any number of other films I'd desperately love to see:

Knights of the Old Republic featuring the Republic battling a full-fledged Sith Empire (which includes Darth Bane) wage a war wich ultimately ends in a Jedi / Republic victory and the beginning of Bane's "Rule of Two." Though I wouldn't balk at a depiction of Revan's story, seeing the war which sets into motion the eventual revenge of the Sith's of the PT, to me, is the better way to go.

The talked-about early-Solo feature and and then there's the Darth Vader Dark Times/Great Jedi Purge film that so many fans at first thought would be a big piece of the PT. Then there are things that might be better for television (Rogue Squadron series, Galen Marek's tale), etc., etc. I could go on and on, but beyond VII-IX, these are the pictures I'd most want to see as things stand now.

Dasan likes this.
  17. furcifer

furcifer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 30, 2004

Air Jedi likes this.
  18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'd love to have a side-story set during one of the wars of the Old Republic era. And maybe a film starring the cast of the Bounty Hunters seen in TESB. :)

19. Air Jedi

Feb 1, 2013
    Something I posted in the Bounty Hunter Ensemble Spin-Off thread.

[​IMG] Vs. [​IMG]

Darthgoodguy and Cad Carnage like this.
  20. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I always thought a movie that covers the events between post-Order 66 and the Battle of Yavin from Battlefront 2's Rise of the Empire Campaign would make a great movie. The Kamino Rebellion, Assassination of the Queen of Naboo, Gizor Delso's Droid Rebellion, etc.

BTW, the KOTOR title belongs to the characters from the video game IMO and should not be used to portray other Sith Lords, etc. from the Old Republic era.

21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The idea for the live action TV series was outstanding, something that is SW but is outside of the SW box.

I am for a story that only alludes to and perhaps has cameos from episodes 1-6 characters. Forget all of this Vader/Fett/Yoda/(sorry guys)Han stuff; we will have seen quite enough of all of them when you consider the OT people will probably be back for the ST.

They need to step up to the plate with something bold and new for the spinoff movies, no rehashing, rebooting, or telling us more details in stories we already know. I think an Old Republic story could be cool (provided it isn't focused on the characters that are in 1-6, and is very original, not the EU or anything); that is one idea I am good with, but there are a lot of other directions they could go in.

Dasan likes this.
  22. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I would love to see A knights of the new republic set a thousands of years into the future,with future skywalker disendents!!!!

23. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    Knights Of The Old Republic
    Shadows Of The Empire
    Darth Plagueis

24. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    The Jedi Purge
    Darth Maul

25. Air Jedi

Feb 1, 2013
    This is something I would like to see somewhere down the line after the ST and at least 10 spin-offs set in the times between The Old Republic and Episode IX.