main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Big Damn Heroes - The Firefly/Serenity Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Ubersue, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    We didn't have a Firefly/Serenity thread, and now we do. :)

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I never saw the movie, but I loved Firefly! I'd love to see some Mal/Inara stories :D

3. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I love Firefly/Serenity. I need to get Firefly on Bluray, and I'll be set.

4. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Firefly is indeed awesome. Mal/Inara stories would be nice to see, but my favourite couple is Zoe/Wash. I'd also like to see any story about what Book was up to before joining Serenity, and absolutely anything with Jayne in it. :)

5. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Ah well. Too bad the majority of my Firefly fics are about OCs...

But I love the rich, detailed sandbox Joss created for us to play in.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I like Kaylee/Simon, too :D

Maybe we should have a challenge of some sort--like about our favorite Firefly couples :D

7. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    I'm terrible with following through on challenges (my track record is about 50/50), but that does sound like fun.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Me too :p But everyone here can encourage each other to get it done!

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This is the best idea for a thread! :D [face_dancing]

I am all up for a challenge - as is it bad for me to say that the piece of fanfiction that introduced Firefly/Serinity to me was, in fact, a River/Jayne piece, and still one of my most favorite bookmarks? [face_laugh] [face_blush]

~MJ @};-

10. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Here's a conversation starter, I hope.

Just for myself, and not to offend anyone, but I find the idea of Jayne paired with anyone else on the ship slightly strange. I don't think he's all bad, I just don't think he makes a match with any of the girls, personality-wise. Sure, he's the only male left on Serenity that isn't married, obviously attached to someone else, or related to her, but I just can't see River falling in love with him.

If you were writing a River 'ship fic, would you pair her with someone on Serenity, or would you come up with an OC for her?

Myself, I'd create an OC for her, someone who'd understand her quirks.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I think I would pair Jayne and River with OCs; they're very, very different. The Serenity reminds me a bit of the TV show friends: Several people in the group paired off, but even though there were even male/female numbers, a couple didn't.

12. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    That is very true... I can't see any of the ladies of Serenity putting up with Jayne. But I'm a huge fan of crack!ships, and implausible matches are part of the charm.

Actually, come to think of it... I think Jayne and River would be the most hilarious couple ever. Do you have a link, Mira?

13. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Canon wise, I would have a hard time swallowing Jayne and River together, that is very true. But, I have an unhealthy relationship with crack!pairings, and to me the authors who can pull them off are near and dear to me. [face_love]

As a whole, I do not care for OCs, but as with crack!ships, the authors who can pull them off are brilliant. :D

[face_laugh]

Right Here. Beware a bit of bawdy humor (read: a lot)- it's a crack story in the first degree, and it doesn't even pretend to take itself seriously. But, after reading the humorous piece, the author had a few serious stories which impressed me as well, and then I went out and rented Firefly. It was most different from what I read. :p

Ah, good times! [face_love]

~MJ @};-

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    What do you guys think? Firefly romance challenge? I think it would be fun!

15. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Okay, this is a term I've come across a few times, but not the meaning of it. Can someone explain to me what a Crackship is?

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    A crackship is a 'ship that's absolutely crazy and would probably not happen in canon. For instance, Jaina Solo/Admiral Pellaeon, Hermione/Voldemort, etc.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The thought of Jayne and River together... *shutters*

:p

I'm definitely a Kaylee/Simon shipper but I enjoy all the 'cannon' ships.

I'd be up for a Firefly challenge. Maybe it would get the ol muse a pumping! ;)

18. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Ah. Thanks for the explanation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.