main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Blu Laser Cult: The Playstation 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MarcusP2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah just get it I say if you have the money. I know you said that the games dont interest you but taht could easily change in the future. If you do get it then get the Uncharted games, they are very good.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The Blu Ray player is excellent mainly because of its updateable firmware, so whenever new features are added to the Blu Ray standard (like internet connectivity and 3D) it can use them. It also can output in a lot of sound formats.

3. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    So...what's up with PSN? Anyone? News on the outage seems sparse so I'm just wondering if anyone here has heard any information on why it's down, when it'll be back up etc.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So, with news that MS and Sony will more than likely release new consoles around 2014, would you guys recommend waiting or jumping onto the PS3 market right now?

5. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    considering 2014 is 3 years away? Get one now. If you're going to wait three years to get a console, then you'll never get one because as soon as one comes out you'll say 'I'll wait for the price to come down', then 'I'll wait for the next one'

an Xbox 360 slim 4GB starter set is only $30 more than a Wii (for the moment)

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Sony got hacked. Bad.

"We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience," Seybold said in an official PlayStation blog post. "We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share."

This morning, Seybold wrote that "it may be a full day or two before we're able to get the service completely back up and running."

7. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I'm suddenly very glad I never used my credit card to purchase anything on PSN.

Now would be a good time to get one. You could get a refurbished one at a decent price. Plus, you'll be able to find a lot of cheaper games that are now on the greatest hits list.

8. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I wonder if it was Anonymous who hacked PSN? They were targeting Sony pretty hard for the past couple weeks. Mostly in regard to the PS3 hacker's pending charges.

9. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    I've seen this on other discussion forums and most of the talk seems defensive of Anonymous, saying that since they've denied responsiblity that some splinter cell (no pun intended) of Anonymous may have been responsible but since the group is so loosely organized, Anonymous really can't say for sure whether or not they are in fact resonsible. Iirc, the denial of responsiblity came from AnonOps, which is a splinter group of Anonymous itself so one could argue that Anonymous hasn't neccesarily denied responsibilty yet.

The question I'd most like answered right now, apart from when PSN will be back up, is: Who could possibly benefit from this? I could be wrong but I don't think it will last more than a week, if that, and at worst Sony loses a few game/PSStore purchases. A drop in the bucket, I'm sure. Gabe Newell certainly stands to lose money so I think we can rule him out. A bored 10 year old with too much time and money on his hands, maybe?

Did the addition of Steam have anything to do with this?

So many questions and interweb fueled rumors, precious few facts and answers.:confused:

10. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    & just when I got a 50$ PSN gift card I was gonna use to get games like Bionic Commando Rearmed and DLC for games like TFU :mad:.

11. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Anyone wanting to steal identities and/or just credit card numbers would benefit. The information that's stored on PSN is, I'm sure, anything any criminal would love to get their hands on.

12. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but it's not the first time this has happened - on a much bigger scale? Yes. But play.com got hit about a week or two back as well.

The likely answer? What were secure and proven methods established a few years back are now proving less so. Maybe it'll take something like this for hacking to be seen as a criminal act instead of something 'victimless'.

The other thing is scams are getting ever more complex and you can be hit even with up-to-date virus shields. You can follow all the rules and then some little bastard sends out some nasty new gitware to screw you over. Few are the people who really understand how that operates, which is why they're running IT shops!

14. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Honestly, the thought that information could be taken hadn't even crossed my mind. I had been thinking more along the lines of a denial of service attack, I guess because I thought client user informatation was too sensitive to be that easily available. Had to be one heckuva hack. That, or Sony's information storage is not quite the digital Fort Knox I thought it was.

15. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    very worrying

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    It has been how-many days now?
    Sheesh.
    I don't really use it, but the damn console tries to log in each time.

Why does it give you the tick box for "Log In AUtomatically"? It doesn't. Each time I have to click "ok" or something. That isn't automatically. Automatically means that it does it without prompting--it should be invisible. I don't care about the network--just that the stupid prompt keeps showing up.

Yes, I can be petulant and childish.

17. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    This entire thing is completely unbelievable and Sony is handling it so poorly. The intrusion happened days ago and they're just now releasing information about how my information "could be compromised". Really? Why wouldn't you tell as soon as possible? With the intrusion of an outside group, that should have been the first thing they looked at.

Also, the e-mail I got said my passwords, security questions, e-mail and credit card information could potentially be at risk. Seriously? Why weren't the passwords encrypted or stored away from the rest of the information? How poorly thought out and designed is Sony's infrastructure? And Sony's best advice? "Keep an eye your email and credit report"...seriously?

I'm just appalled by the whole situation and how it's being handled. It's just sad. Sony lost and compromised the information of 77 million people? And their lackadaisical approach to the entire situation is really sorry on their part. Sure, nothing is perfect, but this is not the first time an "outside group" has attacked them. This is huge and is going to cost them bundles of money; not only in advertising and PSN purchases but also for people dropping PSN+ subs. I was on the fence about PSN+ for awhile but there's no way in hell I'll be devoting anymore money to them after this.

Just sad...

18. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Sony just can't catch a break this gen, there always seems to be some big disaster they're trying to fix.

I still haven't got an email yet, I assume I'll get one eventually.

19. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I haven't gotten an e-mail either.

I did express my disappoint with Sony in a different venue, but figured I'd share here. Sorry for the long rant.

Shame On You Sony

If you?re a Playstation 3 owner you might have noticed that the Playstation Network has been offline for nearly a week. Periodic downtimes are to be expected so no one was too upset when PSN went down at first. But when a few hours of down time turned into a couple of days of downtime the internet caught on fire due to fanboy rage. As I write this PSN has been down for nearly a week. If it was a matter of PSN being down I wouldn?t be bothered.

The longer PSN was down the less Sony was willing to say to their users. At first a generic message was placed online stating that PSN was down for maintenance. Okay, no big deal that shouldn?t take too long to handle. Wrong! As the service stayed offline Sony then disclosed that PSN had in fact been hacked and was shutdown temporarily so that it could be rebuilt from the ground up. I don?t know about anyone else, but this set off some alarm bells in my head. If the PSN service had been compromised so badly that it would have to be rebuilt there was definitely a problem. In an effort to be proactive I figured it was smart to cancel my credit card attached to my PSN account. Ironically enough, it was the Playstation credit card I had used to purchase my PS3 about 3 years ago.

Turns out it was pretty smart of me to cancel that credit card. Today, after nearly 6 days of downtime and barely any comments from Sony, it was announced that PSN user information was compromised by that hacker. Let me repeat myself, nearly 6 days after PSN was hacked Sony told their customers that personal information had been stolen by the hackers. Does anyone else have a problem with Sony not telling their customers that their credit card information has been stolen? There?s been a 6 day window where my credit card could have been used to buy god only knows what. Luckily when I cancelled my card it had a zero balance so I feel safer. However, it doesn?t make me feel better that other information such as my e-mail address, PSN account name, PSN account password, birthdate, and address are in someone?s hands. It makes it a lot easier to steal someone?s identity if you have all of this information.

All in all, this is an epic failure on Sony?s part. Their PSN system was hacked, user information stolen, and then shutdown. There is no win in this for Sony. From a public relations standpoint they fail even worse though. It took nearly 6 days for their customers to be informed that their personal information had been stolen. That delay is completely unacceptable and it never should have taken that long to inform their users/customers. This is not the level of customer service that keeps your customers with you. My advice to anyone that was compromised is to watch your credit cards closely for any bogus charges and if they show up dispute them. Better yet contact your credit card company and ask them to issue you a new credit card, or if all else fails cancel the card. I would also make sure you keep an eye on your e-mail, specifically don?t respond to any social engineering e-mails and make sure your spam filters are working.

I own both a PS3 and Xbox 360. To be honest, I bought my PS3 to play Blu-rays and a couple of Sony-specific games. My Xbox has always been my primary gaming system and a lot of that is because the bulk of my friends own Xbox?s and I can play online with them on Xbox Live. I have never been worried about XBL crashing and exposing my private/biographical information to a malicious hacker. I?d say this shutdown of PSN counts as a win for XBL. This is mostly because the Microsoft online gaming service is robust and much more fleshed out than PSN. People may complain about the cost of Xbox Live compared to PSN, but it looks like the old saying is true, you get what you pay for. Congratulations Microsoft, due to Sony?s epic fail I won?t be jumping on their next-gen console.

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    This is easily the most reasonable conclusion. I'm not a PS3 owner but it certainly makes me wanna consider dropping my Xbox Live subscription ASAP, just in case some douch hacker(s) decide to eye it next.

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I have my credit info on my 360, too. However, we could just by those MS points cards from gaming stores and then redeem those to make Live purchases, so no credit info is shared.

22. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    That's exactly what I did with the PS3 (i also do it on the Wii). I've never used my credit card to buy anything from the online store. I also don't have any personal information on PSN. If I did I'm sure I would be freaking out right now. The most they could get from me is my email. But I did take Sony's advice last night and change all of my passwords, just in case. As soon as PSN is back up I'll be going there straight away and changing my password and username.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is what was posted elsewhere, that Sony focuses on the end user, which means?

"CLIFF NOTES
    There are two locations where security must be applied.

The end user (the PS3) and the network itself (PSN).

"Security through obscurity" = Knowing there's flaws in the system, but counting on them not being found because you've made it hard to locate things. This may mean a security check that jumps around ten different program locations to do a single task. As Wiki describes, it's the same thing as hiding a key under the doormat -- you're counting on people not checking there to keep things secure.

This is why Sony using a static number to encode their stuff instead of a random number was such a big deal.

Here's an example:

CODED MESSAGE:

"This is a secret message" -> moving one character on the keyboard over results in: "Yjod od s drvtry ,rddshr"

Which is essentially what Sony did. Hackers noticed a pattern and reverse engineered the "key" so to speak.

Once they were able to do that, they could read how everything was set up.

Now, how this applies to the current situation..

Because Sony's idea of security was to concentrate on the PS3 itself, less security emphasis was placed on PSN. This is why they freaked out when CFW arrived, as they knew they had weak security on the server side of things.

Some custom firmware lets your PS3 masquerade as a developer's PS3, which was set up with a more trusting environment. They don't expect hacking attempts to come from developers, etc. "

All in all, more than a little bad! This is nothing short of fool idealism on Sony's part. Like everyone else, I'm inclined to buy point cards from now on.

24. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Sony is being sued. Class action lawsuit filed.

Uh-oh-Spaghetti-O's. Life keeps getting worse for Sony. Where's the always funny Kevin Butler now...? Hiding away. Wisely.

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm surprised no one's tried suing Microsoft for all the RRODs.