main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks body paint

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by cyndilt76, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyndilt76

cyndilt76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    i'm trying to find the best type of body paint that won't wear or rub off on everything, and is nice and bright, to do an aayla secura costume.

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks a lot!

S_S edit: just unlocking :)

2. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    That is a good question. I want to do an Aurra Sing costume myself, but I don't know either what to use for the body make-up. I did order some kryolan aqua body paint make-up, but I don't seem to get it on even.
    So I have the same question to.:)

3. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I used Mehron liquid color for my friend's Starfire costume. You can airbrush it on if you have one. It doesn't smear or rub off, but it'll leave a little bit of colored dust if you touch something alot or where your skin rubs on your clothes. The dust doesn't stick though, so you just have someone wipe or dust it off. We didn't do anything strenuous, so I don't know if it'll run when you sweat.

4. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    The best bodypaint paint there is is by a company called Temptu http://temptu.com/
    They used their paint for Mystique and Nightcrawler in Xmen 2. Their stuff will not budge..until its taken off with their remover. they do do a waterbased one too which is very durable and easier to remove but stays on well.
    Its for usage with an airbrush (i used a model makers one for a costume i did a while back. I used their red paint) but you can also use it with a sponge.

Another good one to try is Kryolan paints

5. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Holy crap, Sakara! I HAVE to get some of that. Stays on under water! Craziness!

Wow, where was that when I went looking for body paint for Starfire?

6. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    KRYOLAN! I have seen this stuff in action. Now the color WILL come off onto fabric if you rub against it, but it'll take quite a beating before it rubs or sweats off your skin and it doesn't feel heavy. And most importantly, it comes off when you shower, though you have to scrub a bit.

http://www.mallatts.com/$spindb.query.listallshop.mallatts.69

Here's one link, I lost the bookmark I had from where I ordered. Just do a search in theatrical make up sites for Kryolan face make up

7. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Dude. Temptu won't come off UNDER WATER. I think the conversation is over.

8. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Then how do you get it to come off? When you want it to? [face_thinking]

9. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    The Temptu, is very tempting to buy, unfortunately, I'm on a limited budget and the Temptu is a little expensive.
    But I just don't get it. I got the Kryolan aqua color make-up, and I just can't sponge it on even and I can rub it off easily.
    [image=http://imagescommerce.bcentral.com/merchantfiles/5084954/Aquia%20face%20painting%20.01oz.jpg]
    Am I doing something wrong? Would an airbrush make any difference instead of a sponge?

10. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    You want to use Ben Nye liquimagic makeup. I use it for my own Aayla Secura outfit and it's great. It goes on evenly with a sponge, doesn't smear, and washed off with soap and water.

11. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    I was thinking of that to, only problem is I can't get Ben Nye anywhere here in the Netherlands (insert not so friendly word here) and if I buy it from an American store, the shipping fee is extremely high.
    I have the white kryolan make-up on my arm right now. It still isn't evenly applied, but luckily this time it doesn't smear, I just had to wait a bit longer.
    Funny thing is, I also have a bottle of black Kryolan make-up, and I can apply that nice and evenly with no problems.
    Maybe white is just a very hard color to apply?
    I'm thinking now to invest in an airbrush. I saw one in a catalogue for only E20, - (single action). Does anyone know if this is a wise investment?:p
    And all you Queen Amidala costumers, which make-up did you use for your face? I know for example that Sister Sola used Mehron clown white, and it looked very nice.
    I'm actually in awe right now looking at all the evenly painted Ayla's and Aurra's. You did a very nice job Karma and thank you for your tips, I really appreciate it:) .

12. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Jedi-Loreen:

The site says alcohol or baby oil will take off the Temptu.

Tenyon:

What kind of airbrush is it? Single action is perfect for single-color makeup application. If you ever want to airbrush patterns or anything, double action would be better. How often are you going to use it? It might affect your decision.

I have an Aztek 4709 for models and artwork, and a Paasche H for masks and makeup. The Aztek is a double action internal mix, and the Paasche is a single action external mix (siphon feed). I forget what kind of compressor I have. It might be a Badger. I'm too lazy to go look right now.

So yeah, I could answer questions I suppose.... Sorry, I like helping. :)

13. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    I'm glad you like helping :) , I have zero experience in this and I really need all the help I can get.
    I'm going for the singel action airbrush, because I already have a double action for my artwork (it's somewhere in a box right now, also to lazy to go look). I just need something to spray the white make-up on evenly, cause I can't stand it. Kryolan supposed to be a very good brand, so that means I'm doing something wrong. The aqua color liquid make-up is made for airbrushes, so I'm willing to give it a try, to see if it works.

14. cyndilt76

cyndilt76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    thanks for all the input i do need something i can sponge on because alas i have no airbrush...temptu looks awesome...i've used ben nye make-up for zombie stuff on short films, just for faces and hands--and i loved it-- but i couldn't find any body paint from them, i'll look for the liquimagic stuff-- thanks!!!!

15. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    Props to anyone who wears full body paint or even if it?s just on the face & head. That?s got to be uncomfortable. I couldn?t do it.

16. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I thought that too when I first started wearing Aayla makeup...but the paint is so light, it feels like nothing. I have to be careful not to rub my eyes or nose or whatever, it's so easy to forget I have it on.

17. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    I used Reel Creations alcohol-based makeup when I did Maul for a while, several years ago (IIRC, it's what they actually used in the film, at least for the black). Pretty durable stuff, though moderately pricy, and once it was on, I didn't feel it at all. If you're not using a heavy grease-based makeup (and lots of it, at that! I don't mind my Buffyverse vampire makeup, either), I've found it doesn't tend to be noticeable. For me, anyways.

Eric Tank
    SL-7171 Garrison Tyranus

18. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    I was told by some friends who went as Orion Slave Girls to the trekkie con here two years in a row... had the same coverage problem the first year, but the second year, they said it want on smoother if they put on a foundation first, and I hear setting paint with a powder will help.

Actually, I am going to be ordering some white kryolan tomorrow, I am doing an Illyria costume, and I plan to mix the white paint (and blue I already have) with very light liquid foundation and spreading it on that way and seeing if that covers. I'll be sure to report back in august when I wear the costume to tell you all how that works.

By the way, anyone know good online sources for Kryolan? I lost my bookmark, I know the official site doesn't sell them and I need to order my white paint soon!

19. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    I did a lot of research into the Temptu as well, and one great thing about the artist who developed it is that he's big into non-toxic paints, even when applied with an airbrush. This might seem fairly basic, but many paints (even makeups) have ingredients which are not appropriate for consumption. For example, Ben Nye's white and silver haircolor uses aluminum flake, which, if inhaled, can contribute to Alzheimers.

20. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Verdaera, that is an interesting thing to know. I have some white powder and light foundation somewhere, maybe I will give it a try:)

21. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,

So how many ounces would I need of body paint for the Aayla Secura costume?

:)

ecila

22. Lady-3PO

Lady-3PO Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2004
    Has anyone ever tried the Eclipse airbrush? It's a double-action and on sale at a local artist supply place. I'm looking to buy one, but I'm oh so very new to this and I'd appreciate any advice.

What's the difference between a double action and a single action? If a single action is better for my purposes, I'll probably look for a Paasche H. If a double action is, I'll probably go buy an Eclipse while it's on sale.

I guess the most important question for me is, which would be better for painting two people (maybe 3) in the shortest span of time?

I realize that's a weird question. I'm costuming the Star Wars musical at MIT in the Fall (http://www.starwarsmusicaledition.com) and trying to plan out how to do the twi'lek in Act VI (ROTJ). Lyn Me and Oola will both require some degree of body paint, and we'll only have a 15 min or so intermission to get them covered. I figure an airbrush may be fastest. Input?

Also, are any of the experts on this board New Englanders?

Thanks!

-Nori (Lady3PO)

23. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Ecila:

Hard to say, but I'm gonna GUESS maybe like 3-4 oz.

Lady-3PO:

Both the Paasche and the Iwata Eclipse are excellent airbrushes. Your choice depends on what you're going to do with it. A single-action airbrush has a trigger that controls both the flow of air and the flow of paint. A double-action airbrush's trigger controls the flow of air when you press down, and controls the flow of paint when you pull it back. The advantages of a single-action is that it's much easier to use and clean. The Paasche H is great for large areas, and clean-up is a breeze. The advantages of a double-action is that the greater control allows you to get much more graceful and controled lines. If you wanted to do some kind of pattern or design on the skin (like Abe Sapien), double-action's the way to go. They require more maintenance and cleaning though.

So for Oola or Lyn Me, I'd say single-action would be best. But if the Eclipse is cheap enough, and you like airbrushing, it would be worth getting too.

Hope that helps!

24. Lady-3PO

Lady-3PO Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2004
    Thanks, VillieGee!

So neither a single or double action is considerably better for doing multiple jobs in a short span of time? If the single is easier to clean, maybe that would be better because in theory we're going to have to paint one girl, clean the airbrush, then paint the other.

If I'm insane and that's not even a possibility, someone please burst my bubble now so I can plan accordingly. I'll appreciate the brutal honesty, I promise ;)

I seem to vaguely remember reading something on the Boards about certain airbrushes being a little kinder and gentler on faces. Anyone know anything about that?

25. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Right, one isn't "better" than the other. They just have different features.

The Paasche H is a breeze to clean and since it's an external mix brush, it can handle thicker mediums. I use it for latex mask paints and it works like a dream. So if you're doing solid color, go with the Paasche.

As far as certain airbrushes being gentler on faces, I don't know if there are any "gentler" airbrushes, but I do know that it's recommended to not use more than 5-10 psi when doing faces. My Badger Whirlwind II doesn't have a dial to turn down the air pressure. It's a constant 28 psi (approximately). So whatever compressor you use, find out what its psi is, and if it's adjustable. If it's not, I'm sure you can get a valve and pressure gauge of some kind to attach to it (I don't know that for sure, but I'll bet there is). If not, just be super gentle while doing the face. Press lightly on the trigger and hold the brush farther back that usual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.