main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bolsheviks on the JC? Or, the Have's and the Have-not's strike again.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wattowatta, May 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    There's a difference between being helpful and sucking up. Just be a responsible user and let the mods pick who they want to have on staff. Most of the time in life, sucking up just annoys people.

Mel

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    You know what's funny? That I, too, had been sending PMs to PBra and CA when I saw a redundant thread or spam in PSA. And wow, no one called me a suck-up. [face_plain] Why Sapient? Just because he was 10 times more helpful than I was?

I never thought about becoming a mod. It really didn't occur to me as a possibility. One day PBra replied to one of my PMs with this: "Thanks. By the way, have you thought about becoming a mod?" I was shocked and surprised. I had never expected it. Of course I agreed, because I wanted to help (and I wouldn't bug PBra and CA with my PMs... :p).

So, to put it short, just because someone helps out, doesn't mean he/she is a suck-up. So stop saying that kind of rubbish.

3. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Mar17swgirl is a suck up!!!

:mad:

She was made a mod because of it! [face_plain]

:p

:D :D :D :D :D

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I appreciate that perspective, Mar. I know I've been afraid to message a moderator because I didn't want to come across as wanting something more than just to help. It's good to know that people will take a quiet and quick message at face value.

:).

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I want to comment on this but I don't know what to say...

Think all of the mods do a good job. I've never seen one overstep their bounds or misuse their power. The jokes such as "I'll have to run it by the normals" don't really bother me cause I know they are joking. Half of the reason has to do with the fact that we build them up to be more than they are.

Another observation...people that start these kind of threads are usually just upset that they got passed over ;)

6. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    For the most part, us mods don't care about any of that. We like it when people PM us about problem threads.

It legitimizes our existence. :)

7. The_ModFatherII

The_ModFatherII Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    I agree with the administration on this

8. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Don't lie. You are the administration.

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i have always beena little wary of the whole PM deal, seems a little too discreet, a place like this should air its dirty little undercurrents in the bright light of the public eye..............besides, it encourages all sorta unsavoury behaviour, that smacks frankly of authoritarianism, if you ask me the name "darth dark helmut" seems almost to beg for the grandiose rank of Supreme Eternal Field Marshal and Father of the People, and don't tell me he doesn't think the same way....

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    If you all simply add me to your watched users list so I can get over my goal of 500, we'll call it even. Popularity through controversy is what I always say.

To all those who saw what I did as helpful, you are correct and I thank you. Vert, you are very handsome and I think your choice in clothes is stunning. To the beautiful and angelic Mar, we share the Czech connection and I know your true feelings for me. I heard what you said in the south passage.

To Josh and Scott, Commander Antilles, P'Bra, and Vert, gosh I love you and I want to be like you. And why wouldn't I? You guys are heaven on earth. I agree with everything you do. Back those asses up over here, I've got a reputation to uphold.

One last thing. I don't post anywhere else. Rest assured, if you see anyone using my name anywhere else, it is not me.

And if you relly want to know something, I get PM's all the time from users trying to help. There are a few who are new and are fantastic. I don't consider them ass-kissers. They are working hard, they've expressed their interest to me, and they have helped me notice individual posts that have gone awry.

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    JMA...
    "Who said anything about restriction? I respect your opinion Ghengis, but please don't put words in my mouth."

I apologize - I did put words in your mouth. I took the idea that movie mods bash the EU in the EU forums to the next level. If you fault them for not liking the EU in the EU forums, then the obvious solution would be to...
    1. Keep them out.
    2. Force them to change their opinion while there.

Either one is rather distasteful for a discussion forum. There's other people who say much worse things about EU items than them. When they're discussing things (within canon debates, etc.) they generally do so as regular users.

I see this as a whole seperate issue from the perceived mod-power abuse issue originally raised in this thread. Padme Bras and Commander Antilles aren't abusing anything, except for someone's delicate sensibilities, merely by posting a minority opinion. That's where I was coming from.

12. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    "One last thing. I don't post anywhere else. Rest assured, if you see anyone using my name anywhere else, it is not me."

Well, thanks for clearing that up, anyway.

13. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Don't forget that I also sent fruit baskets, money, plane tickets, and free car rental passes to the administration. It all seemed to work out as I had planned.

It's funny to me now that I'm a mod, I'm a power-hungry, power-abusing Bolshevik. I knew the day would come, but it's funny how things are now that I'm a moderator.

Something I want you all to remember. I AM A VOLUNTEER. When you guys post crap, nothing much happens. When I lock a thread, I've received threats. VOLUNTEER, folks. VOLUNTEER.

14. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Hmph. Typical. You forget the FF mods in that fruit basket send-out. :p

You're right, though, Sapient. Mods ARE volunteers. We're not getting paid for this.

15. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Can I make a request to the mods? Please .... never, ever, ever make Wattowatta a mod. Every time he posts, this slobbering desperation to be picked oozes out of every pointlessly-highlighted word and it just cracks me up. If you promoted him you'd deprive the JC of one of its most hilarious dancing monkeys.

16. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    ...and a monkey

17. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Something isnt right with this rant...it isnt your usual Wattowatta rant.

I sense something...not right.

Sorta like TPM, when ObiWan could sense something going on.

18. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    [image=http://www.sillymystic.com/2dancingmonkeys.gif]

"I want to be a mod"

19. jedi-sock-trick

jedi-sock-trick Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    The Mod Squad Members generously donate their time and effort to make the JC a better place. And for their trouble, they get this type of bashing? That seems rather ungrateful.

I am not going to waste my time and Snowboard server space by defending the admins against these feeble attacks and airing of grudges - frankly, the arguments presented in this thread are too weak and petty to bother. The admins perform a tough job, and they perform it well. Nuff said.

This entire thread is ridiculous, serves no purpose, and should be locked immediately.

20. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    shara, i'll buy you a beer for your trouble. two, if you ask nicely ;)

wattowatta, babe, what's your point? you make these long-winded posts that seem to be nothing but rants. give me a thesis statement, descriptive title, something that makes me want to read it.

what did you hope to achieve by this? open communication? because, if you did, give us some solutions as well, please.

clifs notes version: wattowatta has issues with the mods. he believes that they consider themselves to be an elite group. he especially has problems with DarthSapient, who he believes kissed ass to get to the top, and farraday, who he believes doesn't show a united front with the rest of the mods, by locking their threads.

the majority of people dissagree with him, but a few people do agree. other issues have been brought up as well.

21. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    To Josh and Scott, Commander Antilles, P'Bra, and Vert, gosh I love you and I want to be like you. And why wouldn't I? You guys are heaven on earth. I agree with everything you do. Back those asses up over here, I've got a reputation to uphold.

Jeffro, I think with that we've pretty much beaten Watto's thread to death. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.