main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BREAKING: Disney Buys Lucasfilm. Star Wars 7 in 2015? Discuss.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ricky_Calrissian, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
  2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Obviously, as it pertains to this forum, the question on people's minds is, will Lucasfilm's hands-off attitude toward fan projects be a problem in the Disney days. Let us hope the grand policy of looking the other way continues to win out.

I guess something like this was always bound to happen one day — George is not going to live forever and none of his children (to my knowledge) have expressed interest in running the company. I just sort of assumed they would cash out as much of their stock as they wished and let corporate guys take the place over, I never thought LFL would be sold to a big corporation.

Weird.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    I guess you are right, Disney might be a better place than hand it over to corporate guys...
    Disney ensures long term value, they won't pay 4 billion to waste it and they've done good the last couple of years.

And they will also know that fans weren't really positive about the way the prequels were made.
    George will be an advisor again instead of director, George the inspirator, that's what he's good at!

4. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    I think we're going to see a very split fanbase. If Disney does films every 2-3 years... well first, they'll be stomping all over established canon, like the prequels sorta did but worse, since the timeline from RotJ to FOREVER is filled up with stories all over.

VII, VIII, and IX are being done at least somewhat according to treatments that Lucas had already had done; whether they're recent of if they've been gathering cobwebs, you can bet they don't give a rat's behind about the EU except, maybe, in very broad strokes, like a new Jedi Academy. And then after that? Will there be more films afterward? Or will there be a reboot? That might be a better path to take, since reboots don't just invalidate previous canon, but we know they're at least doing 7, 8 and 9 before considering that.

And yeah, Disney gets pretty protective of copyright. Adywan, who did Star Wars Revisited and has been working on Empire for the past millennium, is negative; I saw a Facebook post today about how he fears his efforts will be shut down just as he's dumped more money into it. On the positive side, new films will mean more interest and we could start seeing infusions of new blood in here again, and that'd always be welcome. So long as they don't like those new ones! Those kids don't know what real Star Wars is! Whoops, broken fanbase.

We'll see in a couple years, I guess.

5. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    I met a couple of my cousins friends today when I was at her school for her concert. They saw that I was wearing a thundercats shirt, and decided to start ranting about how the new versions of shows and movies from back in the mid 80's and before, are almost never as good as the originals, "especially Star Wars"... Made me laugh, and sparked the first glimer of hope I've had in the past few years, for the youth of today. lol

Anyway, a friend of mine posted a link to this story today, and it sparked a bit of a dibate between him and I. It went as follows.

... I think I need new friends...

6. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I think you all need English lessons. :D

I'm really hoping this is the life raft the Lightsaber Choreography Competion has been needing to keep it's head above water.

I saw a post from Penitio stating there's been new Marvel fanfilms out and Disney hasn't done a thing to stop them. Hopefully this remains constant. My feelings on it are that Star Wars fandom is too wild to control. Most love it (even if they hate it) and everyone knows about it. I don't see how they possibly could stop everyone. Even if we have to call them "sabers" and develop original sound effects, people will make the movies they want to.

As for Episode VII... which is still echoing in my ears from Lucas acknowledging the sequel trilogy as the plan, I honestly have no idea where he's going with it. We all knew the legend of Anakin, fighting Obi-Wan by a volcano, being left for dead only to turn up as Vader. Most Star Wars fans knew that was coming and couldn't wait to see it.

VII - IX? I have no idea. And I can't wait to see it.

7. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    Yeah, provided they don't recast, or do cg faces, I'll gladly stand in line for fifteen hours again in order to be the third person in the theater to see it, and have a lightsaber fight in the halls while waiting, almost getting kicked out for it, just like I did with Episode III. And I'll enjoy the movie purely because it's Star Wars, no matter how bad the movie is. I mean look at Episode I, it's a really bad movie on so many levels, and yet I enjoy watching it just because it's Star Wars. I'm not one of those people who when a movie isn't exactly how "I" want it, I will go on and on about how bad it is. The only thing that I'm not willing to stand for is recasting the most iconic characters ever in movie history. (Unless the movie takes place when the characters were younger, such as the Han Solo trilogy of books, which were really good.)

Or, they have a predefined way in the story that the original actor can be replaced... e.g. Dr Who.

8. KingKool

KingKool Jedi Padawan

Dec 14, 2010
    Let's friggin' hope. Otherwise, our next fight is gonna be with cardboard swords.

9. Justicetoall

Justicetoall Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2004
    When I heard about it I got goosebumps. More Star Wars movies where a given. Either with or without George Lucas. I hope they go for Timothy Zahn's Trawn trilogy. I loved that book series, and it would be an awesome continuation. Sure, the entire cast needs to be recast. But if they cast right, and stay true to the story line, it would be an action packed trilogy that has a solid storyline.

As far as fanfilms, I hope George Lucas lets Disney see the light on that one. Fanfilms are a marketing tool imho.

10. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    We (myself, Finifter, Ryan and Dorkman, Eddie, and Jeffery) called an emergency recording of DIF to discuss this. Fun conversation, if you're interested.

Check it out!

Sith-Man likes this.
  11. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    Awesome to listen to. And yeah, I'll remember where I was when I heard the news. lol

As for the reference of "it's the brightest day in star wars", "It's not purely bright." My first thought was, "It's like seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. It could be freedom, but at the same time, it could be a train coming to kill you."

12. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Disney is really hypocritical when it comes to IP. The vast majority of their work is pulled from the public domain, yet they've been instrumental in damaging IP law that provides a broad public domain. Eh, whatever.

13. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    VaporTrail likes this.
  14. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I could go either way with them using Hamill/Ford/Fisher. I'd love to see them cameo but I'd understand if they don't.
    The recasting of McGregor as young Obi-Wan for the prequels ended being my favorite character of the trilogy, so if they decide they want new people to portray those characters wherever they'll be at now, I'll definitely keep an open mind.

The big one I'm wondering about is Anthony Daniels. He's been C-3PO in every portrayal of the character that I'm aware of. Are everyone's favorite droid counterparts going to be featured in the last trilogy?

There's so many possibilities, I can't even fathom.