main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Bubonicon 37?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by StarshipTrooper, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarshipTrooper

StarshipTrooper Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2004
    This year's con (#37) will be my fourth Bubonicon - I've been going since 2001. Looking forward to meeting some of you there (or hopefully at a local meeting).

I've also been active in other groups - I just signed up for the Firefly meetup group, as I'm a fan of that show, too. It seems that the L. Neil Smith, the author of the Lando Calrissian Adventures, is a Firefly fan, as well, and might be persuaded to come down for the Bubonicon suite they're thinking about setting up. Maybe I could persuade him to drop by the Mos Alba suite for a book-signing, that sort of thing.

L. Neil Smith's Webley Page
    The Official L. Neil Smith Discussion Thread

Plus, I know that there's another SW author who's a regular at Bubonicon as well - Walter Jon Williams. IIRC, he lives somewhere in Belen.

The REAL Walter Jon Williams Page!
    The Official Walter Jon Williams Discussion Thread

What say y'all?

Freedom, Immortality, and the Stars!

Keep your kids off drugs - teach them to shoot!

Who owns you? Who runs your life? Who should - you or someone else?

2. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Welcome, Mike!

Yeah, we plan on having another table in the dealer's room at Bubonicon this year. Last year was our first showing and we had a great time. Didn't sell too many things, but people took notice. I plan on hooking up with the organizers shortly to get our table and memberships. We (sadly) won't have the Vader statue this year. We might be lucky enough to have a costumed Vader though! In fact, we oughta have quite a few in armor there this year.

Some of us did get to meet Mr. Williams and get some books signed. Since most of us are avid readers, it's fun to see that aspect at a con. Plus, some of us also helped the con's fundraising with some art purchases.

We're looking forward to it. And we'll gladly see you there, and hope at a monthly meeting, too!

3. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Hey, a costumed Vader beats a statue anytime!

StarshipTrooper, I'm a big FireFly Fan as well, does your group have a website or boards?

Ken

4. I-Like-The-Dark-Side

I-Like-The-Dark-Side Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2004
    Six years ago I attended a Bubonicon. No one spoke to me, and the environment was not what I would call 'friendly' in any sense. I felt like I had attended a private party at someone's house as an uninvited guest or a crasher. I'm not brining this up to pick a fight or whine. I am curious to hear some response from someone who has attended a few recent Bubonicons. Cons are not supposed to make people feel unwelcome, and if this is still the attitude present at the recent cons, it needs to be fixed.

5. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    That is why we are here! We will turn this Con into a fun one!

The 2005 Bad Influence Tour will go on!

6. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    What is the date for the Bubonicon?

EDIT: You have to be kidding me. Walter Jon Williams? I LOVE Star Wars EU. This is wonderful news!

7. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Hi, Dark Side!
    I'm sorry you were treated coldly... not cool.
    #36 was the first one for many of us, except Skyra and maybe Varza? The organizers may think Star Wars is not literary enough, but I certainly didn't encounter anyone who was unfriendly. We spent most of our time in the retailer room, but we also wandered around the art room, the game room and the guest speaker room, as well as the lobby and the hotel in General. People (whether hotel guests or Con attendees/organizers) seemed kind of glad to see us, I thought. A passing flight attendant in the hall even goosed me through a gap in my Stormtrooper armor!
    On a side note, if anyone likes the excellent author George R. R. Martin, he is going to be a guest at Bubonicon #38 in 2006!

8. I-Like-The-Dark-Side

I-Like-The-Dark-Side Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2004
    I was just curious if different people were runing it or anyone else has noticed a trend in the cons for the past few years. I am not completely unwilling to give the con another shot.

9. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Well, I don't know if it's a new crew or not. But the people we were involved with in securing a table and knew about our presence there were very nice and encouraging. The people who helped us put on the FanFilm presentation were very nice. I think it was a very good experience.

10. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    I thought they were pretty nice... BUt I could see what he means, there were some people in the art room that I overheard making scathing remarks about "that star wars group". And there were some not so friendly people that came by the table from time to time. Didn't say anything but got some nasty looks.... I just starred at them with a blank look.

BUt I ignored them. People were happy we were there, we got on TV. and the people around our tables kept wanting their pics taken.

And no this was my first Bubonicon... never had been before.

11. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    I agree, Alyson. Of course we got some looks. Surrounded by snooty-tooty literature nerds. Some of them think that they were above us, because, well, it's Star Wars.

How much you wanna bet some of them haven't read any Star Wars novels. There are some stinkers, for sure. But there are some damn fine reads there.

Oh, by the way, there are some pretty crappy non-SW sci-fi and fantasy stuff out there.

But one of the things I loved the most? Hanging out with David Mattingly, the artist. He's a very cool guy. Not pretentious to us at all. And he loved Ken's Luke Skywalker belt.

12. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Like what was said before....I feel we made a positive impression this last time....and it will get better each time we attend! Perhaps if someone sees enough people turning out to see the Star Wars group...they may think twice about trying to do a ABQ Star Con in the future!

13. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    You're right, Jess, I think we can give younger less-literary types a reason to go. And it would be so cool to have a real con here someday!

14. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    Yeah, but when is it?????

15. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    August 26-28, 2005

still think we should play, pin the tail on the padawan

16. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Here is a link to the Bubonicon website:

BUBONICON

17. StarshipTrooper

May 20, 2004
    TK166 writes:

StarshipTrooper, I'm a big FireFly Fan as well, does your group have a website or boards?

The site URL is firefly.meetup.com/41

Freedom, Immortality, and the Stars!

Keep your kids off drugs - teach them to shoot!

Who owns you? Who runs your life? Who should - you or someone else?

18. StarshipTrooper

May 20, 2004
    I was just curious if different people were runing it or anyone else has noticed a trend in the cons for the past few years. I am not completely unwilling to give the con another shot.

Nope - Craig Chrissinger has been running the con since 2001 - not without dissent. But when the con elections come up in November, he always wins. He hasn't nominated himself that I've seen, and appears somewhat aloof from the cliques and internal politics that go on with any organization.

So far, he's run the cons pretty smoothly - no big fights or screaming matches, etc.

19. StarshipTrooper

May 20, 2004
    I agree, Alyson. Of course we got some looks. Surrounded by snooty-tooty literature nerds. Some of them think that they were above us, because, well, it's Star Wars.

Not so much that, IMHO, but because Star Wars is more science-fiction and they're more fantasy-oriented.

Bring up Heinlein (only one of the all-time best-selling SF authors to date!) and they give you blank stares, or they change the subject ASAP. Bring up Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings and they can't shut up to save their own lives. I'm not gonna name names ... stick around, come to some of the monthly meetings, and you'll get a handle on it.

20. StarshipTrooper

May 20, 2004
    On a side note, if anyone likes the excellent author George R. R. Martin, he is going to be a guest at Bubonicon #38 in 2006!

Actually, Martin is a regular at Bubonicon as well as Fred Saberhagen (both of them live in Santa Fe). So are Williams, and Victor Milan.

21. StarshipTrooper

May 20, 2004
    As far as the cliques at Bubonicon go, the "worst" there is the Starfleet chapter. If you're not talking to one of them or visiting their suite, you'll never hear from them for the most part. For all intents and purposes, they might as well be having their own event.

22. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
  23. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Hey, StarshipTrooper, just so you know, one of the Anasazi members (founding members at that) is one of our own, as well (abqscout).

Don't forget that there are two sides to every story. Earl's explanation is that the con shunned them YEARS ago, and they decided to hell with it.

24. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Bumping the Bubonicon!

25. obi_dave_kenobi

obi_dave_kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Will there be refreshment in the suite Mr. Gecko?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.