main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel Into the Hellmouths Of The World

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PrincessKenobi , Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    David Fury, Jeffery Bell and Tim Minear have all been told that they talk alike. And they all say it's from working with Joss Whedon for so many years. So he does talk like that. Though he says that the closest character to him, is Xander. Really listen to him in the commentaries, interviews and features on all his projects.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yep, he really talks like that.

Different series but he is even closer to Wash. He's even said he was his own inspiration.

3. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    The only bad commentary Joss has done is for "The Body." Enough with physicality, already! :p

BTW, does anyone know if Jeff Pruit, stunt coordinator for the first few seasons of Buffy, has any credibility? I recently read a fan interview with him and Sophia, Sarah's first stunt double. They completely bash Sarah and her on-set behavior, claiming she wouldn't allow people to clap for Sophia and lied about doing her own stunts. To me, they just sound bitter about being fired, but I was wondering if there was any truth to what they were saying.

4. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Man, it's only now, after its all over, that I realise the genius behind certain episodes.

Like "Hush". That episode is 60% silent, and yet it still "speaks" volumes about each of the characters. You still have humour, romance and butt kicking, which are the essential elements of Buffy, but without the snappy one liners. And it SO works. Joss Whedon can take something that would have been a gimmicky concept and turn it into something amazing.

Also ever noticed that the show deals with as many girl issues as one of those pre teen girly drama comedy shows? It can really be a help to watch key episodes of Buffy when you're down, because you can find the answer to your problem somewhere in the themes and situations

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That was one of the many things that Whedon wanted to do. To tackle the kinds of situations that one deals with growing up, but avoiding talking down to the audience. Episodes like "Surprise", "Innocence", "Becoming", "Anne", "Life Of The Party", "Family", "The Freshman", etc would handle those situations in a subtle manner. Making it relatable while maintaing the essence of the show.

Sad news, now. Reading the Whedon.info website, I've learned that it seems the tv-movies have been called off. No official reason given, but it seems that with the WB network merging with UPN to become CW, the network no longer has an interest. Apparently, the situation seems to be worse than when Angel was cancelled and Buffy moved to UPN.

6. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    I love Buffy and I love Angel, and I love Buffy/Angel.

And I know that many of you are going to hate me now but I don?t like Spuffy, it?s just to weird for me. I mean the mere fact that Spike built a sex-bot of Buffy. I don?t know.

I love Spike, don?t get me wrong but I liked the bad boy Spike more then the lovesick puppy one. And I especially liked him in that last episode when Angel was Angelus.

When he and Buffy was ?friends? in the Buffyvers sort of way.

First it?s the scene when Spike and Buffy are going to her house and they run into Joyce and she asks about him and Spike ask Buffy if she had not told her mom about her ?other? self yet.

The whole triangle/drums thing, hilarious and then of course it was the scene in the living room.

Joyce to Spike: ?Have we met??
    Spike: ?Well?you hit me with an axe once; you know ?Don?t touch my daughter??

And then the scene between mother and daughter, about the slayer and then when Joyce said. ?If you walk out of this house, then don?t bother to come back?, the pain in Buffy?s face was so real, but I can understand why she left, she had to.

And then the scene were Angel comes back and she tells him to close his eyes and then she kisses him and say that she loves him before running a sword through his stomach. My poor Angel.

And I wish that they would do that movie, I need more.

7. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    I definately understand what you mean and I prefer big bad Spike to lovesick Spike.

I do like that moment though in season four where he realises that he can hurt demons. Then at the end of the episode he's all like "There's evil afoot, we must go save the world for the puppies and Christmas. Let's go kill something" And also his whole suicidal fase in that episode and him wearing Xander's cloths.

There are a couple of good moments from him in his lovesick days, but not many.

The best Spike moment from Spike though is him dubbing in a conversation between Angel and a woman he's saved in his first appearence on ANGEL.

8. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    It?s disturbs me that I haven?t seen any of the episodes of Angel were Spike is in it, how many times were he with? I mean, I?ve seen the once with Faith (she is so cool by the way and Eliza is so good at playing evil) and the one with Buffy when she is after revenge.

9. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Star_Angel, do not fear, you ain't alone. I'm not a fan of Spuffy either. Admitedly I wasn't watching the show that much anymore around s5 (Spuffy wasn't the only thing I didn't like - though I lurved the early episodes).

I hated a tamed Spike - he was so better when he was nasty.

I don't think Spike made too many appearances on Angel until Season 5, when he became a regular cast member.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    James Marsters only appeared in "Down In The Dark" and "Darla", before doing season five. Seasons one and two respectively. He couldn't do season three due to the no crossover clause and there was no need to have them interact in season four, when the clause was lifted. By the time they did "Chosen" for season seven of Buffy, they had the material needed to use Spike for the fifth season of Angel.

11. scarlet_fang

scarlet_fang Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2006
    I love Buffy and Angel!! My favorite character for both shows is Faith,even though Faith wasn't in Angel that much....

12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Oh but when she was they were great. The early season 1 episodes with her are some of the best.

I can still remember how excited I was when I first heard that she was going to be coming back in season 4. Those episodes did not disappoint. I know that season in general isn't one of the best received of the series but its one of my absolute favorites.

13. scarlet_fang

scarlet_fang Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2006
    i've never seen her Angel episodes...just read the script

14. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    IMHO you can never go wrong with Faith in an episode. =D=

15. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Although I loved the end of chosen between Spike and Buffy and they had some nice touches, I too wasn't the biggest fan of Spuffy. The continual sqitch from hatred to obsessive love was too confusing and their activities during season 6 made me dislike the season.

Faith is always cool, even though she wasn't in Angel very much she left an impression- I hope there are more Faith stories in the future.

16. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I like the pairing of Spike and Buffy, but at times they took it a bit too far with the sex. I watched "Gone" a few days ago, the episode where Buffy went invisible. Spike's "exercise" and then the whole "That's cheating" moment... :eek:

BTW, Buffy is currently up against Green Lantern in the Census superhero tournament.

17. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Yeah, but which Green Lantern?

:)

18. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Hal Jordan. Kyle Rayner was in one of the other matchups, but he lost.

19. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    One of the BEST lovesick Spike bits was Buffy finding him behind a tree:

Buffy: What are you doing here?....Five words or less.
    Spike: *counting them off* Out. For. A. Walk. *thinks, pause* Bitch.

Get's me everytime that.

20. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Hah, yes, that's a classic moment. :D

The buildup to their pairing was really the best part (starting with that season 4 episode where they got together as a result of Willow's spell). It was a lot of fun seeing Spike lovesick. A lot of it was humorous, but that scene in "After Life" where he tells the newly resurrected Buffy "Every night I saved you" was quite heartbreaking.

21. marc_craigwb

marc_craigwb Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    the man is a bonafide genius-when is the rest of the universe going to realise this?i have loved sci fi,fantasy,comic books etc,since my 7th birthday when mum and dad took me to see some total forgettable rubbish called star wars-that day changed my life and joss whedon,who is about my age captures everything i love about this genre.his imagination,creativity and total passion is unchartable.one day he will get the recognition he deserves.

22. Forbidden_Priestess

Forbidden_Priestess Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2006
    I have all of the Buffy Seasons on DVD. I am a big fan. Its nice to know there are others out there.

23. Nethrin

Nethrin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    Willow is my favorite character for sure. But Spike is a close second. And Drusilla, and Faith (season 7), and Caleb. But magicy Willow is for sure my favorite. I love it when her hair goes black, it means coolness is comming. And she is amazing in Chosen.

I hope Joss goes back to the Buffyverse sometime.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    How about October for the first issue of the Joss Whedon penned, Buffy The Vampire Slayer comic? Is that soon enough? As to live action, not going to happen. Fox won't pony up the cash, so no TV-films. Amy Acker also confirmed this. She also said that the one of the plots from the Spike/Faith/Willow films was that Gunn would become a vampire and they'd have to deal with him.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Let's kick this back to the top and get some discussion going. I know that Buffy's been over for three years, Angel for two years and that the TV films aren't happening, but I'm sure there are things that can be discussed about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.