main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Camille Paglia's "Glittering Images"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Ford_Prefect, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I actually agree with what she said. The "grain of salt" doesn't apply to a subjective opinion.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I think she's probably genuine given that, although some of her opinions are certainly controversial, she's also pretty consistent about them. One of the interesting segments of her interview, I thought, was when she described how art education is stagnating in the United States because we don't teach art history. And that a lot of art these days had lost value because it was done simply for shock purposes or gimmicks (she mentioned the famously controversial "Piss Christ" as an example of where the art industry is going wrong) and that truly revolutionary art meant that you had to risk something of yourself.

I don't agree with her on everything (not by a longshot), but I do think ROTS (and, really, all of the Star Wars films) are dismissed a bit too out of hand. Plus, if she were to make the same arguments about the OT, I doubt anyone would say that she was just saying that to be "contrarian."

3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Sure it does. People's opinions are informed by all sorts of things. To really understand them, it's best to know where they're coming from in the first place.

4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Her opinions come from what true Star Wars fans have known for years now.

The fans who made wonderful memory's and formed genuine community living through the experience of anticipating, following, studying, investing, sharing and endlessly discussing Episodes 1, 2 and 3 of George Lucas's Star Wars Saga.

She is a very highly educated, well written, well read accomplished person at the top of her field. She sees how important, how defining the PT was on the generation it came out in.

I was one of the passionate fans who lived through those times. I remember (both living through it and in hindsight) the amazing basically undeniable parallels between the political themes of the PT and all of the real world events. I know for a fact that the lessons this wonderful, timeless, dark fairy tale opera teaches are from something very human and very true and genuinely relevant to the zeitgeist of the times the films came out in.

And I am proud as a Star Wars fan to know in my heart how beautifully this Saga uses art to blend and show these themes in the form of a moving picture. A picture that came from the vision of George Lucas.

Hell, Star Wars wouldn't even BE a Saga if it wasn't for Episodes 1, 2 and 3. I think people need to wake up and realize that there IS an unfair, stubborn, dismissive bias against George Lucas out there.

Its bent of dismissing any/all serious acknowledgement of George Lucas's art in an effort to prevent any/all serious discussion of how underrated he is as an artist.

Its the reason why more people are not acknowledging/aware of her comments on ROTS and SW overall.

kainee, -NaTaLie- and Alexrd like this.
  5. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Bump because people need to acknowledge/talk about this.

Alexrd likes this.
  6. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's great to see refreshing honesty, aesthetic and political.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  7. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Bump again because people need to acknowledge this.

8. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    And another bump to tell you that I still don't care.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Apparently you do, otherwise you wouldn't reply.

obi-rob-kenobi4 and Samnz like this.
  10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Perhaps I do, but just so that I can say "I disagree" with the book and the author;s sentiment. Unfortunately that labels me a "hateboy" around these parts....

Landostrip likes this.