main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Camping/Float trip anyone???

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by twilek69, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Hey,
    Our family usually does a lot of camping in the summer and I thought it might be nice to try that as a group. I know camping isn't everyon's cup of tea, but if we went somewhere, where we could swim or float then those that wanted to do that could come down for the day.
    We have been to Bass Camping and Canoe which is about an hour and half away and it is pretty nice. It is not real secluded though and it is higher to camp then a state park, but there are not any state park sites that have good swimming/canoeing and camping in one. At least that is my experience. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Leash

2. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    We've decided to try camping this year. In fact I got a lantern for my birthday. :D Still looking for a tent though. But, I could always borrow my grandpa's pop-up camper.

We don't know where to head around here. We were thinking maybe Meramac or Carlyle Lake (over here in IL).

3. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I'm not much of a camper, but I don't mind floating. White water rafting is even better :)

4. Dagobah_Diva

Sep 24, 2002
    Yeah! You should try hitting rapids in an intertube. Not good. Almost drowned that time. I'm not kidding. :eek:

A nice lazy tube ride with a couple of cold ones in the water sounds good.

5. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    That's why it's not called "White water tubing" my dear.

6. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Our favorite place to camp is Robertsville State park. It is less than an hour from St. Louis, right off the highway, but it is wooded and the campsites are separated by trees. It is so nice. It just doesn't have anywhere to swim.
    Carlyle is not bad. We camped there all the time when I was little and I don't care for Meramec only because there is no real separation in campsites and you are on top of each other. The good thing with State parks is that you can go reserve a spot with a small deposit. State park campsites go fast.
    The pop-up camper would be nice. You would be guaranteed a nice time even if it rained. I suggest really researching tents before you buy one. We have had some really crappy ones and bought nice ones that leaked when it rained too. Coleman seems to be the most reliable in the lower price range. Oh, and if you buy a nice size family tent, get one with the shock cord poles. We had the other kind and it took three of us to set it up and it took forever. The shock cord is easy takes one person, with a little help towards the end and it is fast to put up even in the rain.
    Leash

7. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Ok. I've got dibs on the camper with Amy. :p

8. Dagobah_Diva

Sep 24, 2002
    Thanks for the tip! I could just bribe my parents into letting me take their giant bus/RV/mobile home thing. Then it wouldn't even really feel like camping. ;) We could all watch movies in there.

9. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    If there's a nice clear area I would consider bringing my telescope.

10. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Oh yeah, lazy tube ride with cold ones! That is what I am talking about. I don't swim real well, so White water rafting sound scary to me, but it does look like fun!
    If we all had tents and you had the RV and it rained could we all sleep in the RV with you? There are advantages to RV's and pop-up campers.
    The telescope would be cool way out in the country where it is clear. Especially in August when the meteor showers start!
    Leash

11. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I grew up white river rafting; we had the perfect river for it. I don't think I have ever went tubbing... I know this idea of a camping/float trip has been brought up before, I think by Tim. Let's see what I can do.

12. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Telescopes are worthless for meteor showers and I'll be back in school by the time they start.

13. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Why are telescopes useless for meteor showers?
    We should make the camping/trip for before you leave then.
    Leash

14. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Because meteors are so infrequent and happen all over the sky. Telescopes have a very small field a view (the most zoomed out mine gets is a little larger than the size of the full moon), thus, trying to spot meteors through telescopes would be pretty pointless and have no real effect. They're still no more than bright streaks of light that appear and disappear almost instantly. You'll do much better to use your naked eye and observe the whole sky at once.

15. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Funny; I've been trying to get people to go on a float trip all spring. Brilliant!
    My family are avid campers, being from outdoorist stock. I've had multiple dealings at just about every outfit within 3 hours of STL, so if anyone wants opinions or descriptions I can bore you with them.
    I'm in. :D

16. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Elizabeth,
    Yeah!!! Yes, tell us where you would suggest. We have tried a few places and went a looked at a few too, but it is always better to get opinions from someone who has actually been there.

Jon,
    That was what I was going to assume, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Leash

17. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Depending on when and where, I could be up for it.

We're already going on one the weekend of July 16th. My friend has planned it, so I'm not even sure where we're going.

My favorite river to float around here is Jack's Fork/ Current River.

I tend to steer away from the Meramac myself. I know some people like it, but everytime I've been there - it's been crowded and the river has been EXTREMELY slow.

18. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Of all the rivers I have been on, the Current would have to be my favorite, even if the water is 10% beer.

19. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    yeah, I knew there was something I was forgetting that I really liked about it! :)

20. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    Of all the rivers I have been on, the Current would have to be my favorite, even if the water is 10% beer.

:eek: :D Maybe there's something to this "float trip" thing after all! ;) Other than that, the closest I'll probably get is in my pool in the floating lawn chair with the cupholders....

21. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    If anyone has suggestions on good camp sites, please let me know. I don't care for the Meramec either. I like the clear rivers. I feel safer when I can kind of see what I am stepping on/swimming in.
    Leash

22. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    I fell in love with the campsite at Alley Spring in Eminence, MO. From there, you can basically float anywhere the two rivers I mentioned above.

It's making me want to go back just thinking about it.

23. LeraTheElf

LeraTheElf Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm totally in for this. I have a tent, that does not leak and I can put up by myself.

Elephant rocks is a fun place to camp. Not really for a float trip though.

Anyhoo, my favorite places to camp have been places that weren't actually camping sites!

24. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    LeraTheElf posted on 5/31/05 4:32pm
    Anyhoo, my favorite places to camp have been places that weren't actually camping sites!
    [hr][/blockquote] Backyards rock like that.

25. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Jon,
    Is the swimming area actually at the campground? I couldn't get a very good idea on the website. About how long of a drive is it? How far are the canoe rental places? They have group sites that hold up to 50 people , so that would be cool. I don't know how many we will have, but the minimum is 7 people so at least we can all be together. We can reserve online too, if we all agree and work out dates. I will call tomorrow to get group rates. It is on the Jack's Fork river also which is crystal clear and I believe Tim said he liked that river.

I hope we can get this together, this would be so much fun!!!

We have a four man tent (that would really holds two adults comfortably) if anyone needs to borrow it. We had to get a bigger one once we had kids, but thought we would keep it for the kids to bring along friends once they get older.
    Leash

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.