main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Camping/Float trip anyone???

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by twilek69, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    This sounds fun! I haven't been really camping before, unless you count 5th grade camp and some youth trips I've been on. I love being outdoors, as long as I take my medicine. My allergies are really bad, and I am actually allergic to grass. :( But this does sound like a good time. I know Cuivre River (sp?) is a good place, I remember it being very peaceful. ;)

2. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I wouldn't be able to make it in June. Every weekend is taken... but it does sound like fun especially if we could get rid of the seed ticks... :D

3. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I am thinking of July. It is super hot then and will feel great to be in the cool river during the day. The only thing that sucks, is trying to sleep at night. But that will pretty much suck soon and continue on into early Sept. So might as well enjoy it during the day. What does everyone else think, July?
    Leash

4. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Okay, I called the National park service for the Alley Mill Spring and Akers Ferry area, which is near Eminence, Mo approximately 3 hours from St. Louis.
    The group sites on the actual Current river are at Akers Ferry and Pulltite. They run $50.00 a night for a minimum of 7 people or 45 maximum per site. This is a GREAT deal. We can also reserve a tent site with a $50.00 deposit, which will be put towards one night of camping. I called a few privately run campsites in the area and they run $7.00 per person per night. The State parks in Mo, have only one Group tent site and that is in Meramec state park. It is the same price as the National parks. Canoe rentals run about $40 to $44 for one canoe, for one day and there are various lengths of trips. One canoe can hold two adults and small children or another adult if group is not an even number.
    Let me know what you think.
    Leash

5. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    I'm already going on a float trip the weekend of July 16th. I didn't plan this one - so I'm along for the ride.

I also know it's not on the Jack's Fork/Current River, but I promised these guys I would make their float trip this year.

As I've said in the past, pick the weekend that's best for the group and I'll try my best to make it!

I love this stuff!!

6. NIBBOR11

NIBBOR11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    I subject I can handle. I definately agree the Current & Jack's Fork are great rivers to float. The only drawback they are about appx 3 hrs from St.Louis(its been ten yrs since Ive actually had to drive, let say StAnn down there)
    The past 6 yrs my family & I have been floating the Jacks Fork from Alley Spring to Two river Landing. Many years ago we've floated the Current from a Baptist camp to Akers Ferry. Also from Akers to Pulltight.
    I know there is also another smaller streams/rivers that are floatable, The Huzzh(I've always heard this is rough on weekends, lots of drunks), The Big River, Snake River. I, myself have not floated these streams.

I may be down in Eminence on the week of July 16th with family. I have to make sure my brother-in-law made my reservation.

Leash, FYI, my family stay at a place in Eminence, called Harveys Circle B, I'll try to look for the flyer today. I'll pm you if I find it later today.

7. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    I agree that the 3 hour drive sucks. I am having trouble finding an affordable campground closer though. I am up to suggestions though.

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    There used to be some in Wentzville, had water and electric hook ups too.

9. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Ok, I bet one of the things we have to consider as a group is what we're looking for out of this. Do people want electricity, nearby town with marts, privacy, deep water/shallow, etc.? That's probably the best place to start.
    Generally, I have a couple of suggestions to add. There are a ton of great outfits within an hour, hour .5 of STL. In my experience, the best of these were Bass, Huzzah, and Blue Springs. The prices run neck and neck, and they have rain check policies.
    Bass and Huzzah generally run the same route; the Cordois and Huzzah rivers and tributaries. These two main rivers intersect; when choosing between the two one should know how long of a run they want. There's a 12, 6, and sometimes 3 hour runs on the Cordois through Bass and Huzzah. Generally, the Huzzah river runs deeper than the Cordois, so if it's been dry that's a better bet.
    Blue Springs is a real professional outfit, and also offer a variety of runs. All places offer choices of transportation, lodge stores, and showers. They all will give transportation to/from the pickup/dropoffs, and rangers run the rivers constantly. I believe you can get E outlets if you need them if you get a spot ahead of time.
    I think for a large group, these are better than the Current and Meramec - they are way more picturesque and 1.Current = *COLD!* 2.Meramec = highway river - Not much to look at and full of traffic.
    Most of these outfits offer horseback rides, too, if you're into that.
    Rule #1 (not that this isn't a big "duh")- no 4th of July floating. That's when the rowdies really come out.

10. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    Well, we bought a tent today. It's a 3 room tent with a screened porch. So, we're a little anxious to use it. :D

11. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Would anyone be willing to drive to some locations to scout them out? I will gladly pay for gas. I don't drive and don't want to drive around with my hubby, he will get grumpy. LOL! I think it would be best to stick to the Steelville area due to travel time and the fact that there is so many rivers to choose from. I appreciate all the advice and I am trying to make the best decision for the group based on all this info.

I am looking at some of the campgrounds that have packages that include camping, floating and a meal after the float. I am getting prices and compiling them. I have no life.... LOL!

Amy, Yay! I am anxious to camp now too. Usually by this time we have camped a few weekends. Maybe we could just take the kids for an overnight so you can try out the tent before the group trip.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

12. Dagobah_Diva

Sep 24, 2002
    I wouldn't mind scouting out some locations with you. I seem to have plenty of free time lately. And we could definately "test" out a site with the kids. Are you free on Sunday nights/Monday days by any chance? (My husband works weird hours.) I'm not planning on bringing the kids on the group camp though...I want to be able to have fun!

13. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    I am free this coming Sunday and Monday. After this week though I go to a different schedule and can do Monday days, but work Sunday nights and Monday nights. I can going during any day after that, but would work Sun, Mon, Tues and Wed. nights. Thankfuly my kids are used to camping and Jeremy and I trade off nights so one of us can drink one night and then the other the next night. LOL! But, I might have mom watch them for this one to save some cash and so we can both have fun both nights. LOL!

14. Dagobah_Diva

Sep 24, 2002
  15. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, after talking to several relatives, I can't come up with the name of any of the places we have stayed over the years. Personally, if anyone else is interested, the current is my preference. I've floated the Meremac, Elk, and a couple in the IL/WI region, and the current has been my favorite.

16. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Okay, after researching the Steelville area for camping & floating.
    Most places range from $8.00 per adult to $6.00 to camp per night.
    Float trips are around $20.00 per adult give or take.
    Most places have packages which might work for us.
    Float trip & bbq dinner after the float trip for around $34.00 give or take.
    Camping 2 nights, float trip, and bbq dinner after the float around $48.00 per adult give or take.
    Camping 2 nights, float trip, bbq dinner after the float trip and 2 breakfast buffets around $62.00 per adult. I am sure it is cheaper for the kids, I will have to call for prices on kids. There is a group campsite in Mark Twain national forest on the Huzzah Creek and it is $50.00 per night for the group. This would be the cheapest for camping. I do not know how far it is from the canoe rental places though. I am including prices on the packages, because it will be hot as all heck in July and we will probably not want to cook after being in the sun all day. We can try doing the current river later in the summer if anyone is interested. I would like to do that also, but for now let's try the Huzzah or Courtois. I would still like to go check these places out (especially the one in Mark Twain forest) before making a decision.
    Give me feedback people! How many will go on the weekend of July 15th? If not, when? How many will float? Canoe or raft? How many want the packages? How many in your family going? Do we want to cook as a group to alleviate the pain/costs? Thanks for bearing with me. I am anal about planning, I get way involved and tend to go overboard. LOL! This will probably be our family vacation so I want it to be nice!
    Thanks!!! :D

17. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    some of these places have cabins with air conditioning and are a little more expensive, but if you hate tents and can't deal with the heat. Just an idea for our non-campers who want to come join the fun and float.

18. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Okay,
    I just found a place that will give us the whole campground for $80.00 per night. They rent canoes and rafts and they are on the upper meramec. I am not familiar with the upper meramec, is it really clear and would it be okay to float? A whole campground could be a lot of fun! LOL!

19. Dagobah_Diva

Sep 24, 2002
    I'm guessing the number of us going on this trip may be on the low side. I don't know if it'd be economical to have the whole campground...fun, but expensive. One site I looked at had an adult campsite where you could be noisy until late in the night.

I'm gonna have to go for the cheapest route. Using the tent, the float trip (preferrably intertube so I can hang my butt in the water), and I'm all for throwing some hot dogs on the grill afterwards and eating chips. I might have to check into the breakfast though cause I might be hungover the next day. ;)

July 15th is okay by me, but I know that Tim (DarthShoey) won't be able to come then. I think.

20. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    I forgot Tim's trip with his friends was then. We can try another date. I would like to have as many as possible going. I checked and we would have to have at least 40 people to hold that campground, so maybe some other time. I want cheap too, though I hate cooking in the heat. But donuts for breakfast, sandwiches/chips for lunch, and then we would only have to grill for dinner. That wouldn't be so bad then.

21. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Okay, let's try the 29th of July. How is that for everyone?

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    July is just too hot for me. I'm more of a September/October camper.

23. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    July will be hellish, but it will be great to float. I am all for camping in the fall though. I will keep ya all posted and bug you when we camp then too. LOL!

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I don't float. Don't like rivers and sunburn.

25. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    I will certainly try to be in!
    *Hospitalized last year for sunburn.Glutton for punishment.*
    If we need extra gear, we got it to spare at this house-from tents to mini-grills. I doubt we'll need it, but if someone needs to bum, we'll all help eachother out.

Where's a good place around here to buy a rashguard, by the way? There's a chance I might be surfing again this year (finally); one would be handy for the float, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.