main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Captain America: The First Avenger

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi Vince, May 15, 2009.

1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Just saw the DVD last night.
    Seriously "Meh".
    I was underwhelmed.
    It could and should have been so much better.
    Considering the 2+hour run time, they spent an awfully long long long time on build up, and not nearly enough on plot. Took forever for the movie to get going, just bogged down. And then it raced through the interesting points and forgot to give us a chance to enjoy a lot of the better bits.

Wait, he's swinging across the battle field, I blinked, and now he's running... Where's the transition from swinging to running?

They should have chopped about 30 minutes, or done something a lot better with the time.

The movie relied too much on nostalgia sepia-tones for establishing the mood without giving us the actual warmth of the era. I felt the same general lack of mood that I get from the new Batman movies and Superman Returns. The warm glow just feels fake and insincere.

My mother thought the propaganda was funny--because that part WAS true.

Final thoughts: It was too much Disney, not enough Marvel.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree that the battle montage is the weakest component of the film. Everything up until that was pretty strong, though. I mean, there's really no good reason why that musical number should have been as good as it was.

Everything after was at least decent: the train was better than the base battle (mostly because the non-Bucky Howling Commandos should have had more screentime, or at least more Dum Dum), but the bomber battle was pretty neat, plus the crash moment was more emotional/effective than I would have thought- and it set up that perfect last line of the film.

Unfortunately, that montage was necessary so as not to close off the era for WW2 Cap stories in the sequels, while still getting him frozen for the Avengers and (presumably) Cap sequel framestories.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    You're underwhelmed by pretty much every movie that comes out these days aren't you?

4. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Watched this for the first time last week (had an X-Men, Spider-Man and Avengers marathon) and really enjoyed it. It's not as good as Thor, even though I prefer CA as a character, though it's a pretty close second.

And now I'm ready for May 4th and The Avengers! :D

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yes.
    One exception: "The Artist".
    First time in 10 years I've felt I got my money's worth out of paying to see a movie in the theater. Last time was Return of the King (mainly because it was so long and there was so much on screen), with honorable mentions to "Goodbye Lenin" and "The White Ribbon".

6. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111030171717/youngjustice/images/1/1b/Robin.png]

He's underwhelmed, everyone else is overwhelmed, why isn't anybody ever just "whelmed"? :p

7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Win.

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Consider how well the origin and final WWII mission was handled in the Avengers:Assemble cartoon. It was tightly scripted and well written. It worked extremely well and told the story. In 26 minutes. So, maybe double it to include the pre-CA history, and another 30 or so for Hydra and the Red Skull... It could and should have been so much better.

There is a remote chance I might watch TFA again. I've already watched A:A twice, and expect to several more times.

9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    [/thread]