main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Carrie bid farewell to Leia in an open letter.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lando's Little Maneuver, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    You could read it either way if you ask me. I don't think they'd choose a rather vague letter as a way to tell us Carrie is not going to be in E7, but that's just me :p

3. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    Yikes! That almost sounded like a suicide letter.

4. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Sounds like the opposite to me! Like she's making peace with the character. At any rate, she's a humorist and it's a humorous column. I doubt she'd say "No" to a good script & a wheelbarrow of Disney $$$.

5. Lando's Little Maneuver

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't know it sounds to me like she got the "you're not going to be in the next one" call, and has had to make peace with the character that she defined. It get the feeling they're recasting younger actors to stretch more life out of them.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No one, not even actor and writer CARRIE FISHER, could have predicted that bagel earmuffs and a metal “slave” costume would come together, all the way back in 1977, to create one of history’s most beloved heroines, StarWars’ PRINCESS LEIA.

:rolleyes: Sigh.

Why are media types who know nothing about Star Wars always compelled to write about Star Wars?

Why do these people seem to assume that watching an episode of Friends is good enough?

The "bagel earmuffs" and "metal slave costume" didn't "come together all the way back in 1977". That's because they didn't come together at all. They were from separate films. The metal slave costume didn't show up until 1983, and by that point the bagel earmuffs were long gone.

This isn't freaking rocket science!!!

7. LukeSkywalker7

LukeSkywalker7 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 14, 2012
    I don't really have a strong opinion on this either way. Part of me think's Leia's appearance could seemed forced. I feel the same about Han and Lando. I only realy wan't to see Luke. The droids would make sense too ofcourse.

8. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    0_0

dunno what to say

Echo-07 likes this.
  9. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    So she's not doing eppy 7...

Dang, I knew it was possible, but it killed my evening :(

10. Lando's Little Maneuver

Nov 26, 2012
    To be honest, I kind of feel the same. Squeezing in the big 3 in cameo roles would feel like a cheesy homage, and ultimately there to satisfy frothing fanboys rather than doing the story any kind of service.

DARTH_BELO, JainaSoloYJK and Esg like this.
  11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    If the Big 3 are re-cast count me out !!! they can go you know what !!!
    It would be the most rediculous descision in the history of cinema....it's not about pleasing fanboys ! it's about passing the torch from one generation to another...re-casting would be totally absurdthe big 3 had the trilogy , it's now time for new hero's to come in , I doubt the big 3 would have cameo's but smaller roles .

12. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Strange.

Echo-07 likes this.
  13. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I'd get used to the idea of the Big Three getting recast. Even back in the early 80s, Lucas said the OT cast would only have dibs on the ST roles "if they looked old enough". For all we know, they may want a much older looking actress to play Leia, but one who's thin and svelt. Carrie Fisher doesn't look that old, but let's face it, she doesn't look like the epitome of a Jedi. The actress that plays Leia may have to look more like the Leia we see on the cover of Crucible.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't know what to make of this.

Joe Antonetti and Echo-07 like this.
  15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Interesting. Don't know what to think of this. I will say that re-casting is a no-go-zone. Just don't have the characters in it. As simple as that. Re-casting would create a huge s###-storm, one that Disney probably wouldn't want to risk. Still, TBH, we all know you can never tell with Carrie Fisher. She could be being serious, facetious or a bit of both. You know, she is mad after all.

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's possible that Leia isn't in the ST, I think that's way more likely than them recasting the role.

FinleySlade likes this.
  17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't know...I wouldn't take it too seriously. Carrie has a unique sense of humor and this fits the bill. She has been making fun of Leia and her role in Star Wars for a long, long time. It's easy to read too much into things...especially when we're all hungry for some kind of news regarding the ST. For all we know, this isn't related at all.

18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I'm still for waiting for her memoir's on the original trilogy(if she ever has an interest to do it). I would LOVE to hear he stories when she was hopped up on cocaine in ROTJ. Not to mentioning shagging Harrison Ford(who was a married man). She has always teased about it, but never committed to kinda "unloading on all cylinders."

The amount of crazy must have been fascinating.

Padme501st and HanSolo29 like this.
  19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    She's far and away the best commentator on the OT DVDs if you ask me.

Padme501st and LunarMoth like this.
  20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh, definitely! I would love that. It would be a blast to read, no doubt about that!

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    She's gonna have to wait until Harrison is in the cold, cold ground until she unloads that one. Assuming Carrie doesn't beat him to it.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Damn this a depressing open letter but that said I'm not too worried about it. I think it could be read either way: saying farewell or gearing herself up for another trip to the GFFA. But more than likely she is just having a laugh! When Disney comes a knockin', I'm sure she'll answer the door.

Echo-07, DarthBoba and HanSolo29 like this.
  23. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't think that humor piece gives much of an indication either way.

V-2 likes this.
  24. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I wouldn't count her out just yet. Carrie Fisher has often spoken and written about Leia in this way. I don't see much of a difference between this and many examples of interviews, articles, and parts of her books.

V-2 likes this.
  25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Looked clear to me, she doesn't want to do it. I seriously doubt she's joking.

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.