main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Celebration III

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by fingthething, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Half the fun is in the Road Trip!!!! :)

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    So it looks as though at least a few of us are going to want to fly. If there aren't enough to warrant renting a mini-bus maybe we can rent a mini-van or SUV of some type. A lot cheaper and it wouldn't limit our drivers (meaning we could get there a lot faster if we didn't want to stop or do any sight-seeing)

3. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    It looks like it will be close, what with final exams in April... (Depending on when my test are, I might just have to fly if I want to make it there in time.)

4. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Just a thought, Air canada offers some kind of discount if you are travelling in groups of ten or more, not sure exactly how much of a discount, if there are even that many people thinking of flying. Their flights seem to have the least amount of connections too. liann

5. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Well I know for sure I'm driving. If everyone else wants to fly then I'll probably just take my car down there myself.

6. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Here is some quick background research for accomidations in Indianapolis...

Hotels connected to the Convention Center by the "Skywalk Connection":
  7. Canterbury $135/night single; no price available for multiple guests.
  8. Crown Plaza $190/night (no limit given on the number of guests to a room)
  9. Embassy Suites $220/night for 4 or more; $205 for 3; $190/night for 2 or less
  10. Hyatt $264/night for 4 (max 4 per room); $214/night single (fluxuates depending on day)
  11. Marriott $279/night (max 4); $259/night single
  12. Omni Severin $152.10/night single; $192.10/night max 4
  13. Westin $199/night single; $335/night for 6.

14. ***Note: All prices and dates were checked based upon April 2004 availability (except for the Westin), assuming arrival Wednesday night (Apr.20) and checkout on Monday (Apr.25). All prices in US Dollars. Most hotels give discounts for AAA memberships (or AMA/CAA). Additional 12.00% tax not included in prices.***

15. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    So, wait to book or book now. If you wait to book one with the blocked off rooms is their definite chance of getting one. will the saving be that much better if you wait, if you book now can you change and get the better rate. what to do what to do. liann

16. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    there was a hyperspace chat with Steve Sansweet Director of Content Management and head of Fan Relations for Lucasfilm. Here's a couple things he had to say about celebration

We expect tickets to go on sale by around the end of the summer. We are still working on details such as ticket prices. One of the best things about Celebration is a sense of community, and a place for like-minded fans to get together. So we will strive to have a special place for Hyperspace and Fan Club members.

Discount hotel rooms will go on sale around the same time as we do online ticketing in late summer. We have many hotel rooms blocked and I would strongly suggest waiting until the discounted rooms are posted to make your reservation. Indianapolis is a convention city, and there will be more than enough hotel rooms for everyone who wants one.

Yes, we are planning special benefits for both Hyperspace and Fan Club members at Celebration III. We're still currently working on the details of what exactly that will be, but it will be more than at Celebration II.

Also there will be a special figure released just for people attending celebration
    liann

17. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I'm willing to sleep in whatever transportation I bring :D

18. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    The prices I posted are mostly to get a feeling for what it might cost, and how much should be budgeted for accomodations for the weekend. Any discounts mean that many more toys that can be bought! :D

19. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    the prices seem reasonable especially once you divide them by however many people are staying in your room. the ama discount at the westin was about $40 a night.
    liann

20. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Looks good, Steve! Thanks for looking that up for us!

21. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    The joys of procrastination! :D (Man, I don't want to start that history paper... :()

22. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    The Westin is already completely booked for the weekend. Liann

23. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    ...and the others don't allow booking accomodations more than a year in advance. :(
    (There is a possibility they will allow booking if they were to be calling, and not booked online. ?[face_plain])

24. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Maybe, a year is coming up soon though, I'm worried to wait till this summer for the discounted rooms. Its not that I don't think you'll be able to get a hotel somewhere in the city, personally I would like to be in a hotel connected to the convention centre. liann

25. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I'll bet that the Westin showing as booked means that they've reserved a block of rooms for the convention.

When they announce the room rates, they'll be selling the rooms in that block to the people saying they are with the convention.

So its not that so many people have already called ahead and filled the hotel. Its just normal procedure to assign rooms as convention use.

26. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Well if anyone is thinking of driving check this out.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&cl=EN&un=m&ct=NA&1y=US&1a=&1c=EDMONTON&1s=AB&1z=&1ah=&2y=US&2a=&2c=INDIANAPOLIS&2s=IN&2z=&2ah=&formtype1=address&formtype2=address&idx=0&id=4026b4ac-00222-0546d-400c3305&aid=4026b4ac-00223-0546d-400c3305

I couldn't link it cuz it's too long but it's driving direction to Indianapolis. Anyhow it says that it's 3000.429 KM (when I converted from miles). I figure driving 12 hours a day (counting rest stops and side trips) we can get there in three days. If we were willing to drive 16 hours in shifts or whatever then we can be there in two, but that kills part of the fun of road trips.

Well, just an FYI. I'll post what info I can gather from the bus companies later.

EDIT: Well I called a few charter services and the people who do the estimates are of til tomorrow at ALL of them :( Anyway, they're all going to get back to me tomorrow so I'll post what I have then.

27. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    There's talk that a bunch of western FanForces (such as Vancouver, etc.) are considering flying to Toronto (WestJet) and then sharing a bus down from there...

28. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    We had come up with the idea to do a run from Calgary instead, and Victoria and Vancouver can meet us there if they wish instead of flying all the way to Toronto... would also be cheaper for us. Dave also knows of some people (around 6-8) from Calgary who will probably want to go.

Indy

29. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    If we can only get together 16 people (8 here another 8 from cal) then I don't think it'd be too economical to charter a bus but we'll see. I'm still waiting on the callbacks and I have absolutley no idea how much it'll cost.

30. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    My friend in Toronto says she'll fly out here and drive down with us so thats another person. why she wants to get farther away from indianapolis does not make much sense, but her reasoning is that it would be fun. liann

31. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Someone who understands! lol

32. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Hehe, the fun is where it's at!!! :)

Indy

33. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002