main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cheers to the clone wars not following the storylines of all the books

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darkchrono, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I know a lot of people who dislike the clone wars dislike it because it didn't follow the books that they have read the way they wanted them to. I personally am glad that they didn't adhere to the books etc... and told there own story. In my opinion I think the fans of the books should be happy enough that some of the characters and locations created in the EU were used (maybe not used in the way they would like but still they were used).

In my opinion a lot of those books weren't any good anyway and it is better to have a story told through a small group of corps people than just a bunch of random ideas from various different authors.

CaptainRex115 and V-2 like this.
  2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I couldn't agree more with the OP. Most of the EU is very badly written and should be discounted on that basis. Many of the facts and continuity established by EU hacks only have importance to those stories they apply to, it seems nuts to force writers to acknowledge and write around the existence of the Ssi Ruuk or any KJA invented characters, for example, or to acknowledge or write around the 'fact' that there were only 3 million clone troopers to fight a galactic war over many planets at once....

KenobiSkywalker and rumblewagon like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell.

Seerow and SithStarSlayer , I hope you all aren't too busy today because I doubt a "let's troll the hell out of the EU fans" thread is going to be pretty for very long.

I'm not a fan of every bit of the EU either, but as far as TCW writers "telling their own story": Great. All for it. Let them tell their own story.

One small problem though: telling one's own story usually involves using one's own characters, otherwise one is borrowing from someone else's story, a.k.a. fan fiction. Or if done incorrectly, a.k.a. plagiarism.

Barriss would be a primary example. Allegedly the premise of the story was that Ahsoka is betrayed by a close friend. Not a bad premise at all. Therefore, a character should be created in, say, season 3, and should reappear often in both seasons 3 and 4 as well as early in season 5, and be established as Ahsoka's close friend. Such storytelling involves a little planning and forward thinking, which apparently the writing staff lacks. Here is the conversation that I think happened:

"We need Ahsoka to leave the Order after being betrayed by a close friend. Who is Ahsoka friends with?"
    "Anakin."
    "Nope, that isn't going to work. He has to stay behind and get pissed off at the Council."
    "Padme."
    "Nope, not going to work either. Does she have any other friends?"
    "Nope."
    "Has she ever talked to anyone else? We have to have a close friend for Ahsoka in order to have someone betray her."
    "Ventress?"
    "LOL. Come on, people, your jobs are on the line here."
    *much scrambling through storyboards for half an hour*
    "Well, she did talk to Barriss Offee for about 10 minutes back in season 2. We can pretend that they've spent a lot of off-screen time the past three seasons getting manicures and talking about how hot Lux looks without his shirt."
    "DONE."
    "But, Mr. Filoni...Barriss Offee is a pacifist healer."
    "Not anymore."

TCW writers could have taken far more of the EU into account and could have written around the established continuity. They chose not to do so, and there's really no excuse for it other than lack of creativity.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    SithStarSlayer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.