main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Cheveyo ~ new project: Luke, Legacy of the Force era

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Cheveyo, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
  2. kikichan

kikichan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2009
    Hi Cheveyo,

I'm a long time admirer of your work. I think it is wonderful !
    Your new piece is looking fantastic ! [face_love] I love it !

I am trying to paint the same way, digitally... I am wondering is it possible you could give me some tips on how you paint, especially the face ? Only if it's not to much trouble of course :)

welcome back ! [:D]

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's looking great so far!

4. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Hi kikichan. Thank you for the comment. As to the tips on digital painting... I'd love to offer what I can. First, recognize that I'm self-taught, so don't expect this to be the best way (or easiest) way to paint. I know that one's plan also must depend on the software used. In this case, I'm one of the least expensive programs with the most bang for the buck: Paint Shop Pro 9. You can do the same thing (and much much more) in Photoshop, and similar techniques in Painter, though with much better quality.

I usually draw the picture in graphite first. This keeps my penciling skills up and gives me a solid model from which to work. Lately, including this piece of Luke, I've tried going "all-digital", with various photo references. The only issue with that is that the lightning may be different in the various images, and so if you're not paying attention that will throw you off quite a bit.

For the actual painting, my techniques have varied/evolved over the years. For this picture, I began by sketching out the figure in a single layer. Then, I created a new layer and began painting his face. I'm using varying degrees of opacity on my brush. The initial skin paint was 100% in a darker shade, and then I added highlights using 5% to 10% opacity on the brushes. The gives it the blended look without the use of supreme software like Painter.

For a closer look at my normal process, I'm working on a World of Warcraft character right now that I have posted at http://brettnilsson.shutterfly.com under the heading of "Work In Progress". In that album there are several steps posted along the way that show you the progression of the drawing.

Thanks, soits!

5. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I am always speechless when I see what folks can do with a computer graphic program and then I start feeling so "boring" with my real brushes and colours.

Anyway, good stuff.

6. kikichan

kikichan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2009
    Thank you very much ! You're very kind [face_love][:D]
    I'll try your tips, and I hope I can show you my result someday :)
    I'm looking forward to more of your art ! ^____^

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh wow, that is really awesome! I absolutely love your digital work!

I hope you get around to showing the completed image. It would be cool if you could also do a Legacy era Leia and Han as well. ;) [face_mischief]

8. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Thanks, HS!
    I was thinking of doing the old heroes as a series (Luke here, and Han and Leia). I bought Painter 11 last month for a couple other upcoming projects, and am now having to re-learn how to draw/paint digitally. We'll see how it goes. lol

9. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Please make sure that you share the results with us, when you learned how to do it.

[face_batting]

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yay! Glad to hear it! :)

And good luck with re-learning the digital thing. I'm trying to make the switchover myself and it's not an easy task. :p

11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love it and you are doing digitally what I am doing with paint and pencils

Very lifelike and nice to see a work in progress

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.