main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Chewbacca & Jar Jar Binks

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by CoolyFett, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    You hate Jar Jar Binks? Cool so does the next guy, but why do you hate Jar Jar Binks and not Chewbacca? What is it exactly that makes Jar Jar so annoying to you personally? We dont understand a thing Chewy is saying, he does not even get subtitles like Jabba or Watto, so what exactly is he saying or not saying that makes him any different then Jar Jar? Everytime Chewy opens his mouth its some lion-bear noise in heat, but that does not annoy you? Honestly when I watch Ep1 I notice Jar Jar, but I notice Anakin way more and yes the kid who played Anakin is annoying to me, but not enough for me to hate Anakin all together. If Jar Jar had dialog like Chewbacca where he said the exact same things, used the same mannerisms, but it was in a language that you could NOT understand, would Jar Jar still be as annoying?? Whats your take?

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Chewie? If there is an OT character that I would compare to Jar Jar, it would be 3PO.

3. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I was going to say the same thing. There both comical characters.

4. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    The thing about 3PO is that he was there from the beginning, even in the PT. Jar Jar was kind of unnecessary. As for Chewbacca, he was a loyal sidekick, Jar Jar was not.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Indeed, and I hate 3PO even more than Jar Jar.

6. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    This. C-3PO has always annoyed me but never Chewbacca, except maybe in ROTS.

At least Chewie never said anything, and 3PO had proper grammatical structure.

7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Actually, I do find the presence of Chewbacca obnoxious--particularly in Empire, when his incessant grunting and howling conflicts with the lyricism Kershner brings to the proceedings.

8. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Alot of that grunting and howling was part of Kersh's wanting to develop and invest in the characters. If you have a chance if you haven't already, check out the making of ESB book. Kersh makes it pretty clear there in the interviews.

As for why Jar-Jar is more annoying for me I think it's just the fact that he's a bumbling idiot.

9. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay, I really don't get the point of this topic. I wasn't aware that people primarily disliked Jar Jar because of the way he speaks. I thought it was more of a whole-character thing and how he acts.

Sure, we can't understand Chewy, but the films do a good job of having a Bob Newhart One-Way-Conversation with Chewy. The characters don't exactly repeat what he says, but based on their responses, you can assume that he said X or Y.

As a character, Chewy and Jar Jar are so far apart. Chewy is a big, bada** fur-ball that can (and will) break you in half. He is, perhaps, one of the coolest sidekick characters in film. Jar Jar... was unnecessary for as long as he was there. I would have been fine if he was a minor character who took Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon to Ota Gunga and that was that. We didn't need him there for the rest of the film (let alone AFTER Phantom). His only useful role was to lead the Jedi to a path that could get them into the Royal Palace grounds without having to march right past all of the Trade Federation forces.

10. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I like Jar Jar. Never had a problem with him and over the years I've grown to like him more and more, and I actually think he's funny. At the moment I really dig the scene where Obi Wan, Qui Gon, and Jar Jar are going through the planets core. Obi Wan has this look of, "Why the F is this F-ing POS with us, again?"

11. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I think his part in granting Palpatine emergency powers in Attack Of The Clones was vital to the story. Sure anyone could have done that but the fact that Jar-Jar as an innocent, naive character who directly made it possible to hand power to Palpatine made it more tragic. Jar-Jar, annoying as he is, was a simple character who just wanted to do the right thing.

12. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    People like Chewbacca because he's a cute and cuddly teddy bear. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Who can rip arms out of their sockets.[face_skull] [face_love]

14. SambX

SambX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2011
    And he was vital to TPM because of his scene on Coruscant with the Queen:

15. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Eh... I think a throwaway character could've been used. His use for that purpose in Attack seemed like a very forced way to get him into the picture. Why in God's name is he a Senator at this time, anyway?

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Like I said on many other threads, I don't mind Jar Jar. I actually like him better than many other ones. To me, the problem is not in the characters, but in how they are used.

17. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    If Chewbacca's a cute and cuddly teddy bear, what would you call an Ewok?

18. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    I've always loved Chewie...the character is awesome. He and Han are a classic duo.

Jar-Jar on the other hand I initially hated. Now I'm just sort of indifferent toward his existence. I know he served a pivotal role in AOTC, but honestly if GL could go back to the drawing board I think dropping the Jar-Jar character would help TPM and AOTC immensely. That spot could have been taken by some other creature perhaps less comical and less polarizing.

GL took a chance with Jar-Jar though and I can certainly respect that. I also clearly understand now what he was going for with that character. However, when I first watched TPM I was bitterly cursing Jar_Jar's existence, lol.[face_laugh]

19. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Completely agree on the last part.

20. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Jar-Jar is a giant cartoon rabbit who steps in the poopie. He speaks an unintelligible mangling of ganja-engrish that is actually harder to understand than grunts.

Chewie is a sasquatch whose intentions are easy to read by his mannerisms.

Jar Jar's voice is grating, his pratfalls are over the top, and involve such shoddy slapstick that I haven't seen since "Perfect Strangers" and "The Dick Van Dyke Show".

While Chewie was one of many rich characters, it's obvious Jar-Jar was engineered to fit a demographic.

21. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    A short cute and cuddly teddy bear. :D

22. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    How would the Naboo have located the Gungans without Jar Jar? How would the droid armies be taken away from the palace if not for Jar Jar? Jar Jar was the reason Padme went back to Naboo...remember the "Weesa Warriors, We have a grand army" convo? Why do people forget these scenes?

23. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    What did Chewbacca do in the saga that is so special? What was his defining moment? The Naboo & Gunguns seemed to have some sort of local beef. Jar Jars relationship with Padme kinda fixes that. Your post sounds like you dislike Jar Jar because everyone else does. Its ok to hate any character. Hey I think the ewoks were unneeded, but again what did Chewbacca do that was so special?

24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Ohhhhh?? So mammals get more love than amphibians?? The Mighty Chewbacca that didnt do much on the sail barge fight? The same Chewbacca that sprung the Ewoks trap? Even his tribe got their butts handed to them by the droid army. I see no difference from the species Chewy or Jar Jar come from, both are primitive and naive.

25. TwoSeven

TwoSeven Jedi Padawan

Aug 6, 2011
    We can't, or couldn't, stand Jar Jar Binks because he reminded us of the way our parents and family relatives would "talk stupid" to us when we were very, very young. I didn't really hate him but felt pity for his speech impediment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.