main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Christmas in your country

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by handzik, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handzik

handzik Jedi Master star 5

Aug 20, 2002
    Just like the subject says I'd like to know abut Christmas in diffrent European countries. Are there any special traditions?

For instance in Poland we have a big supper on Christmas Eve and after that we open our presents. The supper usually starts when the first star appears, although we don't always follow that rule (at least in my family). During supper there are at least 12 different traditional courses (like the 12 apostles) and you should try each one to have good luck in the new year.

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    In Germany we have a little tradition for the christmas time before christmas.

Do you know the advent wreath?
    I think it is a catholic ceremony, but I am not sure. We celebrate the first advent a little bit by lighten one candle. One of four candles that are on an Advent wreath. The advent wreath is made of little branches of a fir. Sometimes it is decorated with christmas things.
    It isn't a big thing. But for me it is the beginning of christmas time.

We light one candle every sunday till christmas. So we will have four burning candles on the sunday before christmas. :)

In my family we celebrate christmas when it is dark outside. Then we get our presents. :)
    After we unpacked them we eat our christmas dinner - something special like the dinner of the next two days. :)

And I know that some people went to church at christmas. :)

3. Cobblestone

Cobblestone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    In Sweden, at least in my family, we have a big Christmas lunch at Christmas eve, after that we watch donald duck on tv. then, there are more on tv, but we usually turn it off and play a game while mom make rice-porridge. then somehow she disappeares, and Santa showes up! Santa leaves, mom returns, and when the presents are opened we eat the rice-porridge and play with our new things :)

we have advent-candles aswell, and Lucia December 13

4. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh, and we have a big decorated christmas tree in our living room. Under this tree there will be our presents when Santa Claus was there. ;) :D

(Ok, this christmas it was a small one. ;))

5. handzik

Aug 20, 2002
    We also have huge Christmas trees with presents underneath :D. Another thing about Christmas Eve here is that in theory we don't eat all day, not till the big supper, although I can never last the whole day :p

6. Nwalme Jade

Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2000
    Is St Nicolas Day as big as Christmas in Germany ?

7. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    As far as I know or celebrate it St. Nicolas Day isn't as big as Christmas. The children get small gifts and some sweets mostly.

8. MARCOLAS

MARCOLAS FF France North CR - FanForce Logo Designer star 6

Apr 3, 2001
    Is St Nicolas Day as big as Christmas in Germany ?

For children, in Belgium, St Nicolas day is bigger than Christmas : they have more presents :)

9. Nwalme Jade

Apr 13, 2000
    Yeah, I remember celebrating St Nicolas day in German class :)

Had a very traditionnal Christmas, with turkey, stuffing, and presents under the tree.

10. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Well, I think Cobble covered most of the Swedish traditions... ;)

The weirdest one must be that every Christmas Eve at 3pm, everyone in Sweden sits down in front of their TV to watch... Donald Duck! [face_laugh] It's been a tradition since 1960 or something... ;)

And my family goes to church each morning om Christmas Eve, to watch the christmas play there... it's very nice. :)

11. SITH-ASSAULT-73

SITH-ASSAULT-73 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2003
    WESOLYCH SWIAT:)...

12. Jaina_Mirax

Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    the day before st nikolaus kids clean their shoes ot boots and put them outside the house for st nikolaus to fill them with treats. years ago it used to be nuts,apples, oranges and a little chocolate...but nowdays its a lot more for some kids...my sister had a friend who got a new bike for st nikolaus...but that is not normal at all.

i usually got chocolate and a book or a cd or something like that.

13. Darth_Fizyk

Darth_Fizyk Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2003
    Bike in a Shoes... He had very big Shoes ;)

14. Nwalme Jade

Apr 13, 2000
    Or a very small bike.

15. handzik

Aug 20, 2002
    We also have St. Nicholas day here in Poland but like you said it's usually just small gifts, chocolate, books, movies and so on.

16. Izzy_luvin_Colin

Izzy_luvin_Colin Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2003
    In Ireland, we don't really make a big deal on Christmas Eve. on Christmas Day is when we have Turkey, and the whole family dinner thing. We usually put up our Christmas tree in the middle of advent around the 12th or something. And we open/give our presents on Christmas morning. I don't know about other Irish families, but we don't open any presents on Christmas Eve.

17. Jaina_Mirax

Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    that is probably where the americans got their tradition from, eh?

18. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    In Denmark we have a big dinner at Christmas eve and after that we 'dance' (walks) around the christmas tree, singing carols. When we've finished that, we get our presents.

and we too have advent - with the candles and so on. And Lucia too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.