main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NM Christmas Time Is Here

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by SWJaggy, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    It's probably a bit too early to start this topic but I've been working at the house all day trying to set up Christmas stuff. It took me all day just to clean my room and organize everything and I just barely put up my tree like an hour ago. But enough rambling.

What are your Christmas traditons and/or plans for this year?

Later (during the week hopefully) I'll post a picture of my Christmas tree as it is a little Star Wars festive this time around.

[image=http://www.spundreams.com/holiday/Christmas/anixmastree.gif]

2. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    Nicole has had our Christmas stuff up since the day after Thanksgiving pretty much. We don't really have too many traditions though seeming we have only had two together. The one thing we do is go around looking at everyone's Christmas lights the night before. That is always nice. We are up around Angie's house for that all blue block.

3. Norvon

Norvon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    I guess my traditions would be to put up decorations, put lights on the house and try to spend Christmas with family. If I spend Christmas at home, put up my tree, loaded down with decorations. I try to play Christmas music on the weekends, as much as possible.

4. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    I'm a big fan of Christmas- it's definitely my favorite holiday (next to my birthday, which really ought to be a national holiday :p ). I like to get into the Christmas spirit as early as possible, and we were even able to do so at our apartment (we splurged on a little 6' fake tree and a bunch of decorations).

I don't have plans for Christmas itself this year, but a few days after the actual holiday, my boyfriend and I are flying out to Washington, D.C. (actually, Alexandria, VA) to see his grandparents. I'm really excited because they've lined up some cool activities for us- a boat ride down the Patomac and fancy dinner for New Year's Eve and Les Miserables at the National Theater!

5. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jedi_Master_Xiania Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2004
    Well every year on Christmas Eve we go around looking at Christmas Lights. My mom and I sing Christmas carols while we're driving.

Hey Josh, I live in La Luz, do you and Nichole check out the luminares? I love the luminares. I also like to watch my yearly Christmas specials, and go to evening service at church. Christmas is a very religious holiday for me.

I would put up a Christmas tree, but I'm a cat owner.[face_laugh]

6. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    As for me this year my friends will be coming over to my house to celebrate the holidays. Actually it's this coming Friday since many of us don't have time to get together during the week and what not. It should be fun as this will be the first holiday that I actually, truly get to share /c my friends. It should be nice.

Still haven't got our tree up yet! Never enough time but hope to have it up by Friday as that's when my friends come.

As for the rest, I will be watching my Roswell Christmas episodes.

7. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Ahhh, luminarias. I love the luminarias. Especially in Tulie. It's been a few years since I've been down that way on Christmas Eve or Christmas and seen the streets all aglow with the luminarias. Do they do that in La Luz, too, JMX? I've been to services at the little chapel there in La Luz before, but my memory fails me about the luminarias. I used to go to St. Jude's in Alamo, and they used to put up luminarias all over the place. What about ICC? The last time I attended midnight mass there was ... 7 years ago, so, again, my memory fails me...

8. NM_Mandalorian

May 16, 2005
    We haven't been out to La Luz for the luminarias either, but we hit Tulie as well. There is also a church here in Alamo we hit, but I don't know which one. Most of the time I just drive whichever way I am told. It is sad that I have been here for well over three years and still don't know all the back streets of the town. If it isn't on or right off 70, 1st, or 10th there is a good chance I wont find it. We also always go by this one guys house (which I think is near the HS) where he is out front in a Santa outfit waving at all the cars. He really goes all out on the lights.

9. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Which street is the Santa guy on?

FYI, me and the family are coming down to Alamo for a couple days following Christmas and I want to make sure I can take my kids by all the best lit up places. I'd ask my parents, but they don't really drive around to look at the lights much anymore.

Also, depending on time, maybe we can get together, anyone, for a cup of coffee and stuff. Norvon, I should have a disk or two for you at that time, if you can wait till then!

10. NM_Mandalorian

May 16, 2005
    I will have to get back to you on street names, sorry. If people are getting together you can count me in.

11. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Bob- yes, luminarias are done around the church area in La Luz. As you're coming in from Alamogordo, you'll find that they keep a live nativity scene out there almost all evening! Those are some brave souls.

My usual order that my family goes in is like this:
    1. After leaving church, the "wood" streets (The new housing developments on the north side of town where all the Germans are living.. kind of near the big truck stop and Lowe's.)
    2. La Luz (Just really make sure to look at the older houses, as they're usually pretty done-up with luminarias)
    3. Tularosa (Don't forget to go to the back streets on the west side of town. If you go fairly early enough on Christmas Eve, there are people handing out cookies and hot chocolate by the side of the road!)
    4. Our own neighborhood, in Granada Hills. (If you come to town, you'll really want to check this out. There are houses up at the very top of our neighborhood who are in contract to put up blue and white lights every year. And of course, the rest of the neighborhood goes all out as well.)

12. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jul 11, 2004
    Brother Halo: Yes, La Luz has luminaries. Betty Dare Nursing Home has a lot of them. The church in Alamogordo that puts up a lot of them is Bethel Baptist Church. Sometimes the little Catholic church in La Luz (Our Lady of Light) has a nativity scene going on all night.

I will see if I can find directions for those not familiar with the places I'm talking about in Alamogordo. Or Angie can she's a bigger nerd than me:p

13. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Seeing as Bob kind of grew up in the area, and Josh's wife did as well, I don't think they all need explicit directions. ;)

14. NM_Mandalorian

May 16, 2005
    I don't think we have been to the live nativity scene. We might have to check that out this year.

15. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    I hope that we can drive down early enough to take in all the sights. I'm familiar with the Granada Hills area and all the blue and white lights. When I was younger, my parents would always take me and my sister around that area to see all the lights. Of course, that means I need to fiddle around with my vehicle right now to go over there. The darned headlights are ALWAYS on. And they make you turn off your lights there. It's pretty. But I've never really known about a contract of sorts - I just figured everyone in the neighborhood just teamed up to coordinate.

16. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Yeah... maybe up in the circle they coordinate, but those of us on the main streets do not. ;) The contract thing is probably a rumor, but I've heard it from several people, so I more or less believe it. ;)

17. NM_Mandalorian

May 16, 2005
    My wife told me the same thing about all those houses having to sign a contract. That is just too funny if it really is true.

18. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    I was in the holiday spirit and with a little creativity made these up from some Christmas songs.

(Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer)

Qui-gon got run over by a Sith lord
    Walking home from our house Christmas eve.
    You can say there's no such thing as dark lords,
    But as for me and Grandpa, we believe.

He'd been drinkin' too much jawa juice,
    And we'd begged him not to go.
    But he'd left his lame 'ol saber,
    So he stumbled out the door into the dirt.

When they found him Christmas mornin',
    At the scene of the attack.
    There were horn marks on his forehead,
    And incriminatin' Maul marks on his back.

Qui-gon got run over by a Sith lord
    Walking home from our house Christmas eve.
    You can say there's no such thing as dark lords,
    But as for me and Grandpa, we believe.

(Must be Santa)

Who's got a mask that's long and black
    Vader's got a beard that's long and black

Who comes around on a special night
    Vader comes around on a special night

Special Night, mask that's black

Must be Vader
    Must be Vader
    Must be Vader, Lord Vader

Who wears boots and a suit of black
    Vader wears boots and a suit of black

Who wears a long helmet on his head
    Vader wears a long helmet on his head

Cap on head, suit that's black
    Special night, beard that's black

19. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jul 11, 2004
    Lol way to go Ronnie those are awesome!

20. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks]-} I have another one that I will get to hopefully tomorrow.

21. Red_8

Red_8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2004
    Ronnie, that is really funny. Do you have anymore?

22. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    I could make some. I'll post them later today.

23. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Here are two more that I created on the spot.

(Christmas for Cowboys)

Tall in the speeder we spend Christmas day
    Driving the tauntauns on the snow-covered plains.
    All of the good gifts given today;
    Ours is the sky and the wide open worlds.

Back in the cities, they have different ways,
    Sabbacc and jawa juice and Christmas parades.
    I'll take the blanket; I'll take the controls;
    Christmas for Jedi and wide open worlds.

A machine thing for warmth as we stop for the night;
    The stars overhead are the Christmas-tree lights.
    The wind sings a hymn as we bow down to cry;
    Christmas for Jedi and the wide open worlds.

It's tall in the speeder we spend Christmas Day,
    Driving the tauntauns on the snow-covered plains.
    So many gifts have been opened today;
    Ours is the sky and the wide open worlds.
    It's Christmas for Jedi and wide open worlds.

(Rhodolph the Red Nosed Reindeer)

You know R2 and 3P
    And Vader and Palpy,
    Qui-Gon and Obi
    And Jango and Boba.
    But do you recall
    The most famous creature of all?

Jar-Jar the strange 'ol gun-gun
    (gun-gun)
    Had some very large ears
    (like a baset hound)
    And if you ever saw it
    (saw it)
    You would even say they flap
    (like an F-14)
    All of the other creatures
    (creatures)
    Used to laugh and call him names
    (like poor Dumbo)
    They never let poor Jar-Jar
    (Jar-Jar)
    Play in any creature games
    (like Sabbacc)

Then one foggy Christmas Eve
    Lucas came to say
    (Ho Ho Ho)
    Jar-Jar with your ears so big
    Won't you guide my sleigh tonight?
    Then all the creatures loved him
    (loved him)
    And they shouted out with glee
    (yippee)
    "Jar-Jar the big eared Gun-Gun
    (Gun-Gun)
    You'll go down in history!"
    (like George Lucas)

24. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jul 11, 2004
    Those are awesome! I love the one with Jar-Jar! Oh, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

25. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Merry Christmas. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.