main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    So, as mentioned on the Clone Wars thread, there's been a stealth Databank update that implies at least a complete reshuffle of the Clone Wars timeline, and definitely a partial overwrite of parts. In particular, Anakin's now a knight more or less from the get-go.

Which is...interesting, to say the least.

Comments?

2. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Where's this update at? I can't find it. Is it a full-blown update or just a character update? If so, which characters? :confused:

3. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    Anakin Skywalker is the big one. To a lesser extent Asajj Ventress (though that's mostly stepping on themes)

4. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    So far as I can tell, the entries for Anakin, Asajj, Cody, and Obi-Wan have all been updated, and entries for Ahsoka and Rex have been added. It's possible the entry for Cato Neimoidia also got a minor update, but I can't tell.

Interesting bits - all emphasis mine -

[i]Though she was not officially a Sith apprentice, Ventress had clearly been well-trained in the arts of lightsaber dueling and Force manipulation. If Dooku's Master, the terrifying Darth Sidious, ever found out about Ventress' "education," the consequences would be dire for both teacher and student.[/i][hr][/blockquote]The aforementioned (in the other thread) bit suggesting Asajj was Dooku's Shadow Hand. I'm fairly nonplussed with this development; while I like Asajj (for reasons that still elude me) and I like the concept, it seems a bit out of character for Dooku. Perhaps he was just keeping his options open.

[blockquote][hr][i]Using her exotic allure, Ventress often distracted her opponent before dispatching him. One notable exception was the Jedi Master [b]Obi-Wan Kenobi, who consistently proved immune[/b] to Ventress' [sic] "charms," though he never missed an opportunity to banter with his formidable adversary.[/i][hr][/blockquote][face_laugh] Yeah, okay... we'll go with that.

[blockquote][hr][i]Cody was often under the command of General Obi-Wan Kenobi, leading [b]Ghost Squadron[/b], and served with him and Anakin Skywalker at Geonosis, [b]Christophsis [/b]and during a nearly disastrous campaign on Cato Neimoidia.[/i][hr][/blockquote]Ghost Squadron's new, as is Christophsis. I'd wager the latter is where the 'vertical battle' takes place.

It also looks like we [i]might[/i] be getting another Battle of Cato Neimoidia-- some of the scenery in the trailer certainly seems to fit. If so, then... meh. Not really a continuity-breaker, but mildly annoying. Of course, I could just be totally off.

[blockquote][hr][i]After seeing Anakin graduate to the status of Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan found endless delight in watching his one-time student struggle with a strong-willed learner of his own, Ahsoka Tano.[/i][hr][/blockquote]I found this appropriately amusing.

[blockquote][hr][i][b]In command of the famed 501st Clone Trooper Battalion[/b], Rex and his men were assigned to patrol the most lawless and dangerous sectors of the galaxy within the feared Outer Rim.[/i][hr][/blockquote]Looks like Rex ain't gonna survive the series, unless he gets promoted or something. His rank is also a bit odd.

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    And yet another reason I'm thankful I've laid off PT EU for the most part.

Let me know when the dust settles.:p

6. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Alright, I found a couple. I didn't see how this constituted a "continuity implosion", unless you're referring to Anakin having a Padawan now, which we've known about for awhile. Continuity--in an ever-expanding universe--is always going to be stretched, but I have no doubt that it will hold, as it has since we discovered Boba was a clone. I'm not worried.

Besides, if they do something to REALLY screw things up...Abel will just fix it :p

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Yeah, well, that was my opinion twenty years ago and it's still going strong.

I think any statements about SW continuity going to the dogs say more about the people who make the statements than about the continuity, which has been imperfect since the first day of shooting ANH.

8. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Fantastic.[face_plain] Suicidal thing to do for the franchise as a whole, that's my opinion. I hope that LFL will at least have the decency to stop reprints for those previous works which are not canon after this, like Jedi Trial.[face_plain]

9. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    Trip didn't mention it, but Anakin's now a knight shortly after Geonosis, and I suppose has Ahsoka for much of the war.

10. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003

11. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001

12. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Agreed.

And considering the significant "streamlining" of "plot" characters (character's who's storylines are in demand)...I suspect Post-film EU will be just fine... ...in terms of continuity anyway.

13. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    Switching the focus from "Obi-Wan crushing on Asajj" to "Asajj crushing on Obi-Wan" is also really weird in light of prior canon.

14. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    So, that pretty much means that every post-Geonosis comic and novel now needs an explanation why Ahsoka isn't there with Anakin and Obi-wan.[face_plain]

15. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    How many Anakin-as-padawan stories are there in the clone wars?

You've got the first season of the cartoon...how many of the books?

16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Classroom instruction.

Anakin is just her "field practical" master.[face_laugh]

17. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    2 and half years never looked so small, eh?

Let this be a lesson for wanting more movies/tv shows "post-ROTJ" too.

The EU is not going to be protected if GL has a vision.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  18. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    It could well be that Ahsoka is a movie-only character; even if she doesn't die, the new stuff in the databank hints that it's more of a "let's stick her with Anakin for a little bit just to piss him off" kinda thing. Maybe they decide to reassign her after a short time.

I mean... I doubt that's the case, but hope springs eternal. :p

19. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    Well, Jedi Trial is the story of Anakin's...well, Jedi Trial (actually a field promotion of sorts, like Obi-Wan got). The Cestus Deception mentioned him as a Padawan still, as I recall...haven't read MedStar or Dark Rendezvous yet, but I don't see any reason for Anakin's status to affect either. Also the Clone Wars comics, I know the Jabiim one was dependent on Anakin as Padawan, and he didn't get knighted till after Obi-Wan returned from being captured in that battle. Hm.

20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    No, the names were just adopted after they went to Alpha's School For Commanding Clones. I think it's already known that Cody was at Geonosis.

ETA: As to the overall continuity... I still maintain that this could work; my guess is that we'll see most of the existing stuff compressed down into the first six to eight months of the war.

That may seem like a lot in a short amount of time, but it's really not; the amount of existing stuff is surprisingly sparse.

21. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Dark Rendezvous has the problem of Dooku and Asajj. Asajj wants to be a Sith apprentice, Dooku doesn't want to make her a one and his attitude towards the idea is totally negative as far as I recall.

22. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Anakin's also a padawan in DR, which means (if I'm right) that one'll be re-dated to occurring early in the war. So... I guess Dooku eventually caved. :p

23. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    Anakin's not a Padawan in DR. He is mentioned to have just been knighted.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Anakin is explicitly Knighted in the previous CW cartoons, no? Which was, y'know, a REALLY LONG TIME after the CW began...

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Official Sith apprentice, perhaps.

Sinre Apologist Moment: Anakin proves he's not ready to be a Knight, and is demoted at some point before his re-Knighting. Probably for getting his Padawan killed. :)

That way continuity is safe.

Valairy Scot and Random Comments like this.