main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The Trade Federation is neutral man. :p

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    That's a good point--at least now we can be relatively sure that an episode definitely takes place within the season it was produced for? :p ;)

TC

instantdeath likes this.
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I remember being confused that Cad Bane was out of prison again after being locked up at the end of whichever season it was. Then someone on Lit pointed out the prison break had happened in an earlier episode. It still confused other members of my family though, and they most definitely only watched TCW as Saturday night entertainment in place of Doctor Who when it wasn't on.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Heck, they never explained why he was in prison during that episode in the first place! Then by the end of the arc they stick him in jail again, without any exlanation about how he gets out later! I guess it's assumed they just break out whenever they want? So you're definitely right -- none of that made much sense.

EDIT: I should point out that for the casual viewer, the recent string of episodes is also insanely confusing, since the three arcs were shown out of order and they all have Hondo. His planet's base is destroyed in the first episode, it's perfectly fine in the second arc, and gets destroyed in the third.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hondo inhabits two quantum states where he is simultaneously destroyed and intact at the same time. It is why he is so astonishingly successful -- you think you've defeated him, but then tomorrow he'll show up with more forces than ever before.

6. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    So they're back to muddling the episodes again in the latest series? I thought they said they were stopping that. o_O

Admittedly, I will confess that I did get bored during some of the arcs in last year's series, as I found a lot of the trilogies a bit tiresome to sit through week-after-week, despite them being good stories individually, so I suppose I sort of understand why they're mixing things around...

Still, I can watch The Simpsons out of sequence and it hardly matters if Maud Flanders is still alive or not, whereas TCW can be totally nonsensical out of order.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    To be fair, I think they've only actually aired the one episode out of order because OMG DARTH MAUL!! The rest of the season has been fine.

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    So how far does the reference to Mortis go in Darth Plagueis, can they be attributed to the old Balance of the Force instead?

9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Guess I'll find out when it comes out on DVD next year. :p

(Unless the Disney Channek air it now that Sky Movies isn't anymore.)

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't even remember the reference. There was a Bedlam Spirit comment. If there was anything about Mortis it must have been vague.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, Wookieepedia says there was an indirect mention of the Ones, and its got me a little flustered since I don't particularly care for Mortis, or just about anything else from TCW, like Darth Maul's new backstory, which I will ignore.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    There's always this:

[​IMG]

Dr. Steve Brule and instantdeath like this.
  13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    [​IMG]

Might be a more comfortable position. My neck doesn't bend that way :(

Cronal likes this.
  14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Sounds like its nothing to worry about, and I don't need this head in the sand nonsense, thank you very much. I am simply not very pleased with the direction the universe is being taken.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This is the most obvious reference to Mortis in Darth Plagueis:

It had been theorized by Jedi and Sith alike that balance between the light and dark sides was actually under the guidance of a group of discorporate entities - the ones called the Celestials, perhaps - who had merged themselves with the Force thousands of generations earlier, and had continued to guide the fate of the galaxy ever since. In effect, a higher order of intermediaries, whose powers were beyond the understanding of mortal beings. But many Sith viewed the notion with disdain, for the theoretical existence of such a group had little bearing on the goal of making the Force subservient to the will of an enlightened elite. Only the Sith understood that sentient life was on the verge of a transformative leap; that through the manipulation of midi-chlorians - or the overthrow of the Forceful group that supervised them - the divide between organic life and the Force could be bridged, and death could be erased from the continuum.

The following could also be a Mortis reference:

Something was shading his sense of triumph: a vague awareness of a power greater than himself. Was it Plagueis reaching out from the far side of death to vex him? Or was the feeling a mere consequence of apotheosis?

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    For what it's worth, if I'm remembering right, I took the second quote as a reference to Palpatine.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's from Palpatine's POV, so I doubt it.

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Because the board isn't working for me and won't let me edit, I meant to say Anakin, not Palpatine.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I took the second quote to refer to Anakin too.

As far as the first one, I found the "enlightened elite" comment really annoying.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I hadn't thought of that possibility... as a parallel, does that mean that what Plagueis senses at the death of Tenebrous is Palpatine?

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, my assumption was definitely that Palpatine was the one Plagueis felt after killing Tenebrous. At that time, the only power greater than himself would be the Chosen One (or Mortis, but I'm skeptical on that). Perhaps it's a way of the Force leading the Sith Lord to their next apprentice, or perhaps just a reflection of pretty much every Sith's fear of death.

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Sounds ambiguous enough that it doesn't have to refer to Mortis, which is fine by me.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The other quote's not very ambiguous.

I assume this refers to the scene of Plagueis' death, since the Chosen One wasn't around when Tenebrous was killed. But would Anakin circa TPM really be a power greater than Palpatine, or just someone with the potential to be greater than Palpatine? His Jedi training hadn't even started yet. Certainly we could say that he had a higher midichlorian count, but is this the same thing as actualized power? ( Or, since the Force often involves sensing the future, is this to some extent a distinction without a difference? )

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He's obviously sensing Kyle Katarn.

Zorrixor likes this.
  25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, remember that powerful Force users are often prone to visions, often coming completely involuntarily. So, he could be sensing Anakin's latent power, or be glimpsing a future with Anakin in it. When Plagueis (possibly) sensed Palpatine, he was merely a boy with a ridiculous amount of latent potential.

Or, like Havac said, he could simply be sensing Kyle Katarn. Of course, that doesn't explain the noticeable lack of knee wobbling and loss of bowel control in that scene. Luceno could have skipped over it though, since children might be reading...