main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA COMIC CON 2005 - July 13-17

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I want to go to this but I need to know what the hotel situation is going to be. I know there are two rooms already booked, but I need to know if there will be room for me. Who is going to stay in the rooms already booked? Also, is anyone driving? Splitting gas money is cheaper so it would be better for me. [face_cheapsmiley]

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    It's about a 9 hour drive and with what gas is these days and the convenience, I'm most likely going to fly. Right now travelocity is offering flights from SFO to SAN for $145-160 roundtrip.

I really don't think we need a rental car while down there but I'll probably be outvoted on that.

3. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    For those interested in volunteer work for a certain prop company contact me by IM, email, or PM me. We can't promis exhibitor badges, though. You need to be in costume though, Jedi or Sith.

4. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Today is the last day to register for ComicCon for $55. The LAST day to pre-register at all is June 20, and the price will be $65. You have been told, so don't come cying saying you didn't know. ;)

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_reg.shtml

5. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Just got my tix online for myself and my bro. So I guess I'm officially going, whether I like it or not. ;) I still can't believe this'll be my 5th time straight...

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, I took the plunge and bought my comic-con pass and got hotel reservations. Not many hotels were left so I'm not exactly in walking distance. Has anyone used the shuttle the convention says they will be providing? And if so how convenient or inconvenient was it?

And out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are lockers at the convention in case we want to change into costume there and stash the street clothes?

- Kathy

7. AnasianSkywalker

Sep 2, 2003
    The shuttles are fairly convenient Kathy. Btw - are you driving, or getting a rent-a-car? If so, can you bring the Protest Signs? As far as parking, do get a good spot in the parking lot below the Convention Center, I suggest going no later than 7:30am. The parking is no more than $7-10. ALL day. Trust me, that is a major convenience factor for us costumers, since there are no lockers like Indy. And if you want to hear about a parking Horror story from last year... I'd rather have Robert (Harlock415) post the now infamous incident of parking in a mall garage in SD. Let's just say, it wound up costing more than any lot up here in the Bay AreaI. ;)

8. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    The horror. The horror.

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    FYI, for those of you staying at one of the hotel rooms we booked: from Wednesday night to Sunday night, it will cost approximately $169 each for the whole week, PROVIDING there are four people per room. Correct me if I'm wrong, Robert, but are there two beds per room? Also, if some of us split a car rental, we can share the gas and parking and we can have a place to change in the parking garage before and after the con to go out afterwards. Plus, it can provide a place to put our stuff we bring and buy at the con, since there are no lockers there.

10. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Just booked my flight and pre-reged for the con. I'm flying out of SFO at 6:07 AM on the 13th on United. I'll be flying out of SAN on Monday at 6:50 PM.

11. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    What hotel are you staying at Kathy? We have a couple rooms at the Fairfield Inn in Mission Valley. It's a little over 3 miles away.

12. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'll be driving down. So, I can make about 2 (maybe 3) more signs - but I don't have time or money to make more than that. All the paper and foam core board stuff is expensive. Plus I want to make a Leia ANH Senate gown before I go.

I saw your post at RL Dale, is it a priority for one sign to say something like "Join the Rebel Legion"? I could put the Rebel Logo on it if that sounds cool. I think the other two I liked were "Stop the Clone Wars" and "Say No to Imperial Order 66" (is that the right text?)

I plan to stop and visit friends in LA and visit my Grandma on my trip to and from San Diego, so at the moment I'm planning on taking my own car. It's still all in the planning stage though.

Oh yeah, I heard about the parking fee nightmare you guys had last year. So there is a lot at the convention center I should park at if I get up early enough huh? Otherwise I'm taking the Shuttle back and forth I guess.

- Kathy

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh, I'm staying at Sheraton Suites 10 blocks away. I saw Fairfield was open, but comic con didn't have it listed as one of the hotels the shuttle stopped at so that's why I opted for Sheraton.

-Kathy

14. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I think the rail goes by our hotel. But we may rent a car while there anyway.

15. AnasianSkywalker

Sep 2, 2003
    FYI - I recently booked the same flight out of United Airlines for my bro and I like Harlock415: Leaving SFO 6/13 @ 6:07a, then leaving SAN 6/18 @ 6:50P.

16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Okay, today is the final day to pre-register. So far, we have attending:

JedHead1
    Anasian Skywalker
    Harlock 415
    Star Smuggler
    Skye Solo
    Kay Dee

There's still room for two more. It would be ideal to have 8 people between the two rooms. But if not, would people be comfortable sharing the one room, with each person taking the floor one night of the week? Just asking.

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Matt, I didn't cancel my room yet - so if it looks like 5 of you really want to share one room let me know within a week. I'm OK with just keeping my original reservation and you all can cut back to one room if need be.

- Kay Dee

18. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Not a good idea that many people in one room. Don't want a repeat of last year.

19. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I think 5 would be the MAX for the one room. I was hoping to have 4 people each to have the price be no higher than about $169 each for the week. The less people, the more it'll cost per person. Plus, it's a good number to share one rental car. Otherwise, should we put an "ad" for roommates? I know some people were looking on some boards. I'm not sure how comfortable some of you may be sharing a room with people you don't know. Besides, last year was WAAAY too many people.

20. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    More than what we have committed now would crowd a rental car unless somebody else were driving down. And I'm not that crazy about sharinng with people I don't know. I think it's a good idea to keep the 2 rooms at least. For one thing, there are still members who are planning to come down only a couple of days during the weekend such as Charles with his children and possibly Eva.

21. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I spoke to Charles and he has his own hotel since the kids want to to other places too, like LegoLand or the SD Zoo.

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Please keep me posted about Eva and Angelica. I'm happy to share the room with Star Smuggler & Skye Solo to bring the cost down for all of us :) But if Eva and Angelica need the room too I might be more comfortable keeping my original room. The 29th is the last day I can cancel with a full refund. After that they keep my deposit.

- Kathy

23. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Here's what's planned (so far) that's SW-related (from San Diego's boards, courtesy of swguru2004):

Star Wars Day at San Diego Comic-Con International
    June 23, 2005
    Attention Star Wars fans! Friday, July 15 is Star Wars Day at San Diego Comic-Con International. Continuing a long tradition, Lucasfilm and its licensees, authors, and industry representatives will talk about what's coming up for Star Wars, as well as share unique, informative presentations on how they do what they do for the saga. Fans will produce some of the fun as well, so come prepared for an entire day of Star Wars during Comic-Con International!

Great Star Wars Books on the Horizon
    11:30 AM - 12:30 PM
    Room 9
    Star Wars authors Jonathan Rinzler and Steve Sansweet will cover the many novels and beautiful non-fiction books that are coming up in the Star Wars publishing galaxy, as well as talk about their own works. Thanks to Del Rey publishing, some lucky fans in the audience will take home beautiful Star Wars books as prizes, too.

Star Wars Trivia Game Show
    12:30 PM -- 1:30 PM
    Room 9
    Members of the San Diego Star Wars Society, veteran hosts of great trivia game shows at Star Wars Celebration III and Comic-Con International in 2004, are planning a come-back challenge for all fans who think they know their stuff about the galaxy far, far away.

Dark Horse Comics: Star Wars: Past, Present, and Future
    1:30 PM -- 2:30 PM
    Room 9
    Changes are in store for Dark Horse Comics' Star Wars line. 2006 marks Dark Horse's twentieth anniversary, and Star Wars will play a big part in the celebration. Join editors Randy Stradley and Jeremy Barlow for the latest word on what's in store in the coming months.

Master Replicas -- Star Wars Props
    2:30 PM -- 3:30 PM
    Room 9
    Stephen Dymszo, Vice-President of Product Design at Master Replicas, will share news about exciting new prop replicas, including some extra-special surprises. Dymszo will also trace the fascinating steps that go into turning a film prop into a replica that you can hold in your hand: from concept, to reference work in the Lucasfilm Archives at Skywalker Ranch, to working with the engineers on the final design.

What's New, and What's Coming at Hasbro
    3:30 PM -- 4:30 PM
    Room 9
    Hasbro's Star Wars Marketing and Design teams will share their exciting plans for this fall, when the toy line will continue to celebrate the entire Star Wars saga in a big way. The team will also have a sneak peek at what's coming in 2006. Start thinking of questions for the toymakers now, as a question & answer session will follow the presentation.

Star Wars Spectacular from Lucasfilm
    5:00 -- 6:30 PM
    Hall H
    It just wouldn't be Comic-Con International without hearing the latest on Lucasfilm and Star Wars from Steve Sansweet, the company's head of Fan Relations. Sansweet will cap Star Wars Day with peeks and previews into what's on the horizon. There's a lot more Star Wars on the way, and the record-breaking release of Revenge of the Sith is just the start of a new chapter for the world's favorite space saga. Sansweet will show that Lucasfilm means it when it says "Star Wars is Forever."

How to Draw Star Wars
    Sunday; 11:30 AM -- 12:30 PM
    Room 1 AB
    Sunday, July 17 is Kids' Day at Comic-Con International, and popular artist Randy Martinez will teach classes especially for kids on how to draw favorite Star Wars characters. Parents should be prepared to have a bit of fun themselves, too!

24. SiaLanWezz

SiaLanWezz Jedi Knight star 2

May 8, 2004
    Thanks for thinking of us guys but I am not sure if I can go this year. If I do, than it will be a last minute type of a deal for me and Heli. I have some unresolved family issues which need tending and a court date for the 20th of July, which I am prepairing for and must be ready for.

25. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Well, I'll consider that a probably not.

So the way it looks now we have two rooms at the Fairfield Inn. Three guys in one room and two ladies in another. Kay Dee if you do cancel that would be three of you in a room. We have a guarantee of 2 beds (queens I think) per room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.