main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Comics

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Wild Sidewalker, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I have two of those long storage boxes filled with comics I collected through the late 80s and early 90s; I've decided I should clear through and maybe even get rid of all of them. I imagine someone might be interested in buying them, but how does one go about that and not get taken for the rube they are?

2. VideoPrince

VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers / Diplomat star 4

May 31, 2002
    With very few exceptions, most of those era comics are not going to finance your retirement. This was the period when comics were so over produced with multiple covers that they'll never go out of print. Condition and storage are crucial elements in collectability. All of these things combine to make them very hard to squeeze $$$$ out of.
    I'd be willing to take a look at them for casual evaluation.

3. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Thanks! I really figured as much. But, rather than sit in bags in boxes in my basement, they might serve someone else's interests better. Could I have you over or should I bring them to you?

4. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    What titles do you have?

5. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Excellent question! I haven't opened those boxes or looked at the comics within in over 11 years! I know they are mainly Marvel titles and Dark Horse but I'm sure there are others. I'll take a look tonight and post later.

6. VideoPrince

VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers / Diplomat star 4

May 31, 2002
    I'm free at your convenience for evaluation.

7. OP-Antique-Mall_W17

OP-Antique-Mall_W17 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2011
    Comic books shops would be the fastest way to get rid of them. However like you said "you might get taken for rube" Even an honest shop wouldn't pay you the going rate, because that's what they would sell it for. If you want the most you can get, you need to cut out the middleman, and find a collector who wants them for himself. You can try eBay but that's sometimes only good for a rare book. Some comics use to sell for way more, because people were limited by how far they can drive. But now with eBay you might have to compete with others (from all over) selling the same book. I would recommend first seeing if any friends or family, want to buy any of them. After that I would try craigslist because its free. You can start with what ever price you like, but you should research them so you know what to ask. You can search completed auctions on eBay but keep in mind there could be other factors. For example an auction might end really high if the seller will ship to a country that no one else will. On the flip side an auction might end really low if the seller has bad feedback. Even the time of the year can effect the final bid. These factors are really important to consider if one of your items is rare. Hope this helps

8. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    I will be contacting you to set that up. I have five boxes of comics; looks like a lot of titles with "X" in them as well as series like Moon Knight and the like that first came out in the '80s and I started with number one but as far as I know the title never became that popular. Also, as suspected, quite a few titles from odd publishing companies, Epic, Eternity, First, with only Dark Horse still seeming to have survived.

9. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Very helpful! Thank you!

10. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    Do you have any MAXX???

11. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    That is a title with X in it...twice...so, double the chances?

12. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    The Maxx comics

The Maxx is a comic book and animated series written by Sam Kieth.
    Background: The Maxx comic book was first published in March, 1993 by Image. The short lived TV series ran from April 8,1995 to June 1995. It premiered on MTV’s Oddities series almost a year after the last episode of Liquid Television was on the air. Both the comic and series have been discontinued.

[​IMG]

13. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Hahaha! Yes! I take it you were a fan of the show? The comic was the only reason I watched it; fairly good adaptation!

14. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    [face_dancing] AWESOME!! [face_dancing]

I was a HUGE fan of the story.

Could you set the MAXX aside for me? I will pay you market value. :D

15. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Did they ever release The Maxx on DVD? I used to love the old Liquid Television on MTV.

16. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Available on Amazon for $15.96