main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Community service thread.. any ideas we get .. post them here and we can discuss

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I have several thoughts.. but right now I will open the thread to anyone that has any ideas... and kudos for ya'll thinking of the thread

2. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    got this post from the CR thread just now..
    contest for Hurricane Katrina donations.. still not official.. but should be soon I would think.

I have already turned in our tallies.. incidentally.. did it yesterday..however.. we can always add to it.

as of the moment I believe we are running in second place against Al,NM but we can still get ahead of them if we come up with another idea and get it running rather quickly.. I am all for it if we can get input and run with it.

Duration: started on friday
    runs until the end of September.

How to Participate:

Fan Force Chapters/Groups are encouraged to organize events on their own board, and post results in the ?Results? thread.

Individuals not affiliated with a Fan Force are encouraged to either team up with a club near their current location, or they may participate as an individual. Even if you are participating as an individual, please let us know which region you are from so that we can credit your region.

(Do we allow JC forums (such as YJCC) to particpate as a group?)

Ways to raise money:

Direct Donations on your own: The simpliest way to contribute is to simply make direct donation to a legitimate charity (Red Cross, Salivation Army, etc).

Direct Donations through Fan Force: Do we want to go here?

Charity auctions: At your discretion, we encourage you to put up your valuables on Ebay or other auction sites. Ebay auctions may be posted in the designated thread, but may only be posted by the person running the auction. You will be credited with the value of the winning bid. Those with access may sell items in the Fan Force Collecting Market, we will credit.

Other ideas
    ??

How to get credit:

FF Chapter results may be posted or passed along to an organizing mod by either the Chapter Rep or another Club officer. If neither area available, any member may communicate the information. Chapter Results will be added into the Regional Totals.

Individuals may forward a copy of their donation contribution to an organizing mod (or designated email address), or may contact the same via PM. You may also

What do I get:

Prizes for individuals/groups:
    (Top person/group will get to pick which they want first, second pics second, and so on).
    Colors/Titles for one week for reasonable number of people.
    Rights to dictate the colors of willing JC/FF mods for one/two weeks.
    Prizes donated by moderators:
    - Uilmuteiz: Action figures
    - A few more, but not lots.
    New Custom Banner (event specific or just a new customized banner)

Prizes for highest region/JC forum.

Custom banner and colors for the region.
    Anything else?

The smackdown:

Since we do not have the ability to truly monitor donations, and we do not want to diminish donates though paypal fees, this contest will be run on the honor system. Anyone found to be cheating will be banned for a long long time. Don?t ask how long, you?re better off just finding a new place for your SW fix.

x-posted

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    the only thing not really solid right now is the dates.. though I do not think.. or would at least hope they would not count out our tally because we had it before the official contest got under way.

4. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Cool! Even if we don;t win i think we couldn't have had it better! The event was awesome and one of the most fun things I'v done in awhile.

I wish I had some stuff to donate for an auction! I thin that is a great idea, and quick and easy to put together. Otherwise we can do this again, but the DSG would probably be a bit aprehensive about coming down so soon, and I see they have a couple of events slated for themselves anyways.

5. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    I also have an event idea, but it would not be a fundraiser. Y daughter has PKU, it is a genetic disorder where she cannot process one small part of protien and convert it ito an amino acid necessary for brain development. Which means she has tod rink a shake and watch what she eats, and test her bloo for the rest of her life but she will develop normally. She goes to the CRS, Childrens Rescource Clinic behind TMC every week (the appointments will get fewer as she gets older). THis is oneof the best clinics int he world for children with disorders, and they always have a huge holiday party for their patients, would you be interested in setting up a Star Wars character visit? I could easily run it by the director. We have direct contact wit her because we created our own non profit organization and support group for parents and children with PKU. Let me know!

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I think that would be very great to go to a clinic if they would have us.. also to entertain kids at TCC is on the list. I have a few new ideas. I am emailing Andy Taylor.. soon as he emails me back on this I will let ya'll know.

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    does anyone know of a place we might be able to get an old car that doesn't run and has no hope of being saved.. we could investigate a place willing to hold a "car bash" (take a sledgehammer to the car for $2 a hit) It is a great stress reliever and a lot of fun as well... would take some doing.. but I am curious if anyone here in the group knows of a place to get the car. I am going to investigate this idea further.. we wouldn't need costumes for an event like this.. though it might be fun to have a few photos of a Star Wars character releasing some inner angst.

8. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    We can jsut call some junk yards and see if they would be willing to donate one, but we would have to front the towing costs.

Cat, want to see if Andy wants to combine the Suncoast line up with his remote? Or does he want to do something earlier in the day?

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I sent andy an email yesterday.. or day before.. can't remember from groggyness... just woke up... but he said he will be able to let me know if or what.. I would assume that would be fairly soon.. at least sometime this coming week.

I figure we might could solicite someone to donate towing costs if we paint their name on the car.. and anyone else that gives the car.. or anything to do with the car. otherwise.. hopefully someone will reduce the cost since it is for charity.

10. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Hmmmmm, my first thought is insurance and where? I'm just thinking what if someone hits the car and a piece comes off and hurts them?

Leave it to me to think of the worst :p

11. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Thats a totally valid concerd Jada, what I have seen done, s having them sign a waiver, and well posted waiver guidlines before they start.

Well, the official word int he red cross is shutting down here by Sunday, oh well it was an awesome set up.

12. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Yeah, have them sign a completely "Hold Harmless" waiver, etc.

Another fun thing is a China smash. You get old plates and such and build a containment area and let people throw plates against a wall and break them.

Of course, safety glasses are a must.

Oh and um, don't use Corelle, it shatters into too many shards . . . not that I know . . . . personally . . . [face_worried]

13. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    hmmm..... I know all about corelle.. I've broken more than my fair share of it... esp... the ugly white with gold squigly's on it. O:)

yes.. at my Red Cross training they said the TCC would be shut down by 5pm sunday the latest. They do not know the next move.. they said there is still much to be done as far as Katrina goes.. but we were not picked as a primary sight to hold evacuee's. A friend of mine from work has had her boyfriend leave for Atlanta on a fire team..He was a dropper in Arizona.. but quit a year ago due to the last big fires messing up his lungs.. but he was still oncall.. and won't be back for four to twelve weeks. He has no clue if he will wind up in ground zero or not.. but they are keeping them till they know.

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    This is more of a worldwide community post.. not an idea.. but I thought the uniquness of it beared posting the URL for. It is to support Breast Cancer Research. I think I am going to get one of these.. nice and unique for the female fan that supports Cancer Research.

fightforthecure lapel pin

15. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Hey Cathie can yo call me when yo get a chance? I have a request for our assistance at a disabled childrens clinic. Also, I cant find the news footage on either tape yo gave me, I have gone through them twice.

16. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    How about "Find the Jawa a date?"

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I think you are making sure we know your in the market again.

18. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    No, I was kidding, not like I sugested the single people get dressed up in costume and you "raffle" us off for charity.

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    oh hey.. great idea.. I would like to raffle off a Jawa in a G string.. and donate the proceeds to getting us a vaccum table ;)

20. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Ummm, no. Not something I want to see let alone anyone else, trust me.
    Besides I may be "single" but I'm really not looking, not like I'd have the time, that really not fair to someone else. IMHO

21. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    when your ready let us know.. not that I know anyone at the moment.. but you never know.

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I will bring our thank you letter from the red cross for everyone to see.. then hand it off to Dustin for putting in the scrapbook. Might also take that to wal mart for them to see as evidence of what we have been up too.. any chance anyone can bring some halloween photos early enough for me to show those to him as well.

23. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Any news Cat on the library thing?

24. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    nope.. but she said it might take a few weeks.. then again.. it has been five weeks.. I will call her.

25. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Ya know, we can always "drum up" support of those animal rescue people (ya know the ones with fuzzy furry things in cages taken from the pound, last change to get adoopted before they get the big sleep) by standing around in costume in and around the local Pet stores that host the rescue animal people. My sister does that (resuce animals before they get put down, trying to find them homes before its "too late") in GA. Something I've always wanted to do.

Just a thought, U all know I have a soft spot for animals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.