main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costume for son

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Vayder, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vayder

Vayder Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2010
    My son has said that he would like to have a jedi costume to wear for C6. That is still a year away so I have plenty of time to buy or create. Any tips on where I could find a good one or tips on how to make one ? I would like a fairly authentic one, not one of the cheap knockoffs you can get at any halloween costume shop. Thanks !!

2. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    Hi Vayder!

"You've Taken you're first step into a larger world" lol.;)

What me and my sisder did is we're making our own costume, and we tried some of the jedi patterns out there but we couldn't really get them to fit us. (we're teens and tall for our size, so the adult patters fit but are very loose, I'm going to guess you'll have a hard time Finding a 'Jedi' pattern to fit a young boy.)so my mom pointed out that the 'tunic' looks like a robe, a very short robe... so we found a pattern for a robe, and made a muslin and it worked great! (simplicity 3988 It's so raven. if your son doesn't like the idea of wearing 'a girls pattern' i'm sure you can find a more manly pattern out there!)

for buying costumes, I'dkeep an eye out around halloween time, Wal*mart, toysRus, Target and about any other place is going to sell cheepy costumes, you might take some of the parts of those and add them to the costume your making or just gather a bunch of cheaper costumes and try to find parts of it you can use. but remember, just because it doesn't say 'Jedi' on the tag doesn't mean you can't work with it, we bought a cape from the 'lord of the rings' costume and it works better for us then the jedi capes! (and is alot cheaper!)

Some Basic Idea's to get you started,

May The Force Be With You And Your Son!
    Arica.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Jedi costumes are pretty straight-forward (with lots of straight lines!) so if you know how to sew (or even want to learn how), I'd try and get ahold of the Simplicity children's pattern for Jedi robes: http://www.wigix.com/item/1381868/Simplicity-4426--0578-S-L

4. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Or you could start with a martial arts gi uniform, and some dye. Hey, it worked for the first (original) movie.
    Then all you would need are the belt, boots, and props. And the cloak if you wanted that.
    Gi come in a nice variety of sizes and shrink to fit.

5. Vayder

Vayder Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks guys !!

6. MiricaEclipse

MiricaEclipse Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2011
    If you do intend to sew a costume (Which if you have the time, and willingness to try, i would suggest), finding the right fabric can be a huge element to making a great Jedi Costume! If you have a large budget, I'd suggest looking at Joann's or a local fabric store for a coarsly woven fabric. Also, keep in mind that Jedi wear several different colors of robes, anywhere from an almost sand-like color, to dark browns. Luke himself has also been known to wear black, though If your going for a true Jedi, I don't recomend it.
    If your on a cheaper budget, i'd search the internet for a fabric wharehouse in your area. They tend to have somewhat large ammouts of fabric, and they're prices are usually much cheaper than at Joanns with a %40 off coupon!

Good luck making your son's costume, and congrats on goign to CVI!

Mirica Eclipse

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll agree with the person above me. Spend the few extra dollars and get a nice textured fabric as opposed to just plain cotton. It really makes a huge difference!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.