main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costuming and Props

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by idarii, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    well i know myself and mary are into costuming, and i'm embarking on making my own lightsaber. i figured it'd be nice to have a thread for questions, tips, local places to get cool stuff, and to share triumphs :)

now to share my joyous news, my mom just got me a dress-maker's form at an auction :)

2. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Congrats Carrie. I will begin my Lightsaber this weekend. I have the Macaroni and Glitter Glue all set.

3. JediSaralyn

JediSaralyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    You might want to use some pretty sequins too, Ryno 8-}

I don?t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

4. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    They are for my Robes.

5. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    you will be the prettiest jedi in the galaxy :)

i'd just like to say that the home depot in warwick rocks, even though they all think i'm officially insane now. if you want to make a lightsaber, that be the place to go.

6. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Does every store you visit carrie think your insane?? Did you wear the robes to Home Depot?? 8-}

7. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    i think the entire state of rhode island thinks i'm insane :D

ah no my robes are hanging out to dry, had to take them to the jedi laundromat :p

8. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
  9. Domina_Tagge

Domina_Tagge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    Carrie, that's gorgeous! I love it.

I am a very beginning costumer, that's for sure. Aayla was my first attempt at a full scale SW costume. (though I did Galadriel from LOTR last year)

I have to say, if you're going to do body paint, get Ben Nye MagiCake. It stayed on well and felt great, like watercolor paint. Not at all greasy like the cream makeup I used 2 (or was it 3?) years ago for Queen Amidala. That stuff was sliding off like my face was a muddy California hillside during El Nino. Heh.

I'm going to have to learn to sew one of these days to support my new habit ;)

10. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    lol i did the greasepaint for amidala last year too, lol landslide in el nino, excellent comparison. thanks i'm glad you like the lightsaber :) really it only took like 3 days to make, not too hard. we should have a sewing party and make jedi robes! :p

i'll have to look into that magicake stuff for the next time i do an amidala outfit. but first i think i am gogin to try makign some quidditch robes :)

11. Domina_Tagge

May 9, 2001
    Here is a pic of "Amidala" before her makeup started to come off! ;) (you have to be signed in to Yahoo for this link to work, lmk if it's a problem and I will put it on my real website, I am just too lazy at the moment)

This is just the regular off-the-rack Rubies Deluxe costume with the cheap PVC headdress. ;)

Domina_Tagge as Queen Amidala

Feel free to poke around in the rest of the album also :)

12. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    hehe that is unique looking ;)

here is my amidala from last year
    carrie as amidala

don't mind the disgruntled look, i was just trying to stay in character. and yes that is a tree behind my head, not my hair. there's another pic of my as amidala in that album.

13. Domina_Tagge

May 9, 2001
    Cool! You have the nice headdress, I see ;) Great pictures.

I was having a wicked hard time keeping a straight face as the Queen, myself.

14. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    hehe thanks :)

oh i forgot to mention i rented that costume from a place in portsmouth called the costume chamber i believe it is. they have great rentals! and it's not too outrageously priced either.

after my quidditch robes i'd like to tackle a boussh costume, as well as the amidala robes when anakin goes in to say goodbye to padme and ami says "we are sure her heart goes with you." the galactix senate address robes. that headpiece is awesome. i am going to be exhausted :)

15. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    here is a little gallery i put up of nice shots of my costume. i'll add more but those are the best ones.

16. sith_lord21

sith_lord21 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    the boston rebels have another custom lightsaber thread
    click here
    btw: carrie where did u get your supplies for your hilt. i went to home depot and i cant find half the stuff i need

17. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    hey arthur,
    for the metal base i got a big electrical tube or something and had the guy cut it down into some 9" and 10" pieces (i still have some if you'd like one). the black part that's wrapped around most of it some no-slip stair covering stuff. the bottom is the middle of a shower arm hanger. the top is a faucet aerator, and pieces assembled from a faucet repair kit. then some o-rings...and a dishwasher valve kit that was gutted...and some pipe fitters...presto!

at some point i'm going to upload a picture with all the pieces called out and the part numbers.

edit: typos [face_blush]

18. sith_lord21

sith_lord21 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    sounds pretty complicated!!!! i am probably gonna start designing the darth mauls ( aka sith maul ) double lightsaber. i might have it disconnect. but if i do, its gonna look like there is space in between the hilts. hmmmm better start planning

19. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    actually it was very simple :) it took only 3 days to make and most of that was letting the epoxy dry.

i'm thinking of having a Build A Lightsaber meet, if there is any interest in that sort of thing. i've got so many left over pipes and alot of matting etc. would that be of interest to anyone? we could also share general tips on the sabers as well as costuming if you're planning something or have done something.

20. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I would be interested in a meet like that.

21. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    That sounds prety cool. Maybe the attendees could bring their own parts in addition to the ones you list. For making some unique and personal sabers

22. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    hey mary, would you be able to tell me where you got the ben nye makeup? i've decided on my halloween costume for this year and it's going to be blue!

also i wanted to up this thread to see if anyone else was interested in any side projects like costuming or prop building. i know we're still working on a date to finish some of our lightsabers, but we've also got a couple of people interested in making costumes, and i wanted to volunteer my sewing machine and "expertise" (i use the term loosely) in making a set of jedi robes :)

23. Domina_Tagge

May 9, 2001
    Sure! I got it from a nifty little company in California that specializes in Burning Man gear.

http://www.wyb.com/makeup.html

I used Cosmic Blue (of course) MagiCake Aqua Paints for Aayla. :) I loved the MagiCake, it went on evenly and didn't feel all sticky and gross when it was on.

The easiest thing to get it off with was plain old cold cream. I bought the Ben Nye remover, but the cold cream worked better, especially on arms, stomach, etc. :) :)

24. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    ooooh awesome, thank you!! i remembered ben nye, but i wasn't sure which one of their products you had used. i'll request a catalog or something

25. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Don't laugh, but after my Disney trip last weekend, I am seriously considering putting together a Darth Mickey outfit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.